• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Trang Man Confesses to Shooting Neighbour After Argument Escalates

2. 28

Tik Shiro Car Crash Sparks Demand for Alcohol Test Inquiry

3. 251

Are You A Sexpat Or Do You Ride The Backwards Morality Train?

4. 8

Thailand Live Sunday 13 October 2024

5. 45

Illegal land occupation

6. 251

7. 8

8. 8

9. 8

10. 0

University Student Dies After Collision with Truck in Chonburi

11. 0

Hotel Cleaner Arrested for Stealing From Guests in Patong

12. 251

13. 8

14. 0

AIS Prepay

15. 0

Police Raid Nonthaburi Karaoke Bar Catering to Vietnamese Nationals: Weapons & Drugs Seized

U.S. congressional Republicans seek legislative fix to family separation crisis

webfact

U.S. congressional Republicans seek legislative fix to family separation crisis

By Sarah N. Lynch and Susan Cornwell

2018-06-19T233011Z_1_LYNXMPEE5I2E4_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump departs after speaking briefly to the news media from a closed House Republican Conference meeting with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., U.S., June 19, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congressional Republicans scrambled on Tuesday to craft legislation that would quell an outcry over the Trump administration's separation of immigrant parents and children at the U.S.-Mexico border, with an opinion poll showing most Americans oppose the policy.

The family separations and detentions of children, highlighted by videos of youngsters in cages and an audiotape of wailing children, have sparked anger at home from groups ranging from clergy to influential business leaders, as well as condemnation abroad.

President Donald Trump arrived at Capitol Hill for a Tuesday evening meeting with House of Representatives Republicans to discuss their immigration legislation. He is focussed on winning congressional funding for a wall he has long wanted to build along America's southern border with Mexico, a plan resisted by Democrats.

Trump, who has made a tough stance on immigration a centrepiece of his presidency, has staunchly defended his administration's actions. He has cast blame for the family separations on Democrats, although his fellow Republicans control both chambers in Congress and his own administration implemented the current policy of strict adherence to immigration laws.

On Tuesday, the president tried again to blame Democrats for what he called "loopholes" in the law that require families detained for entering the country illegally either to be separated or released.

"These are crippling loopholes that cause family separation, which we don't want," he said in remarks to the National Federation of Independent Business, adding he wanted Congress to give him the legal authority to detain and deport families together.

Trump has sought to link an end to the family separations to passage of a wider bill on immigration, prompting Democrats to accuse him of using children as hostages.

House Republicans were working on a revised draft of one version of an immigration overhaul that would prevent family separations in some cases for those attempting an illegal border crossing for the first time, according to a House Republican aide.

The draft bill was seen just days ago as unlikely to pass, but has gained support in the House. But it was widely seen as dead on arrival in the Senate, where minority Democrats could use procedural tactics to block it and where competing but far narrower legislation may be emerging from top Republicans.

'CONTRARY TO AMERICAN VALUES'

Two of the top U.S. business groups, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable, decried the separation policy on Tuesday and called for its immediate cessation.

"This practice is cruel and contrary to American values," Cisco Systems Inc Chief Executive Chuck Robbins, who chairs the group's immigration committee, said in a statement.

Nearly 2,000 children were separated from their parents between mid-April and the end of May. The separations have been blasted by Democrats, some Republicans, medical professionals and rights activists.

They began after Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced in April that all immigrants apprehended while crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally should be criminally prosecuted.

Parents who are referred by border agents for prosecution are held in federal jails, while their children are moved into border shelter facilities under the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, a Department of Health and Human Services agency.

A Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll released on Tuesday showed fewer than one in three American adults supporting the policy. The June 16-19 poll found that 28 percent of people polled supported the policy, while 57 percent opposed it and the remaining 15 percent said they did not know.

Republicans were much more supportive than Democrats, with 55 percent backing it versus just 12 percent of Democrats, but they appeared less enthusiastic about the policy than they were about the president’s overall record on immigration.

The images that have sparked widespread condemnation, of children in wire cages, are of a border patrol processing centre in McAllen, Texas.

LEGISLATIVE POSSIBILITIES

A number of Republican senators called on Trump on Tuesday to allow families to stay together if they had crossed the border illegally, and Senate leaders said their chamber could have legislation to address the family separations matter in a matter of days.

"My hope is that this is not going to be something we're going to do over a matter of weeks and months, but something we can do in a matter of days, hopefully this week," Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn said.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell echoed the new urgency. "We hope to reach out to the Democrats and see if we can get a result, which means making a law and not just get into some kind of sparring back and forth that leads to no conclusion," he said.

Top Democrats contended that Trump could change the policy with the stroke of a pen.

"The president is trying set this trap in the public mind that somehow there is a law requiring him to do this and Congress can undo it," said Senator Chris Van Hollen, who visited a detention centre in Brownsville, Texas, over the weekend. "We know this is a problem that was manufactured six weeks ago, and we’re seeing the awful results today."

Decrying "internment camps," Democrats and their supporters disrupted a U.S. congressional hearing on Tuesday about an FBI probe.

With the sound of a young child crying in the background, the top Democrat on the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, Jerrold Nadler, broke from traditional protocol and started reading from a statement, saying: "These (migrant) children are not animals." His Republican colleagues tried to shout over him: "Out of order!"

(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch and Susan Cornwell; Additional reporting by David Morgan, Amanda Becker, Tim Ahmann, Makini Brice, Doina Chiacu and Lisa Lambert in Washington, Richard Lough in Paris and Tom Miles in Geneva; Writing by Doina Chiacu and Dan Burns; Editing by Frances Kerry and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-20

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

There is only one fix. Trump stepping down and leave the office.

What would that change? Trump is only guilty of "strict adherence to immigration laws." That makes him an a-hole. I think even his supporters know that about him.

If he didn't adhere to immigration laws the folks would be calling him an "autocratic authoritarian".

This is Congress' job to fix. I hope they fix it soon, humanely and justly.

It was a mean calculation by Congress, on both sides of the aisle, to use these people as electoral fodder .

Edited by lannarebirth

2 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Hang on.. the Zero tolerance policy was put in place by Trump & Miller (with Steve Bannon's tutelage) & the little creep Sessions..  why were children not incarcerated in concentration camps separated from their parents under previous administration if that was the law?  The proper place for parents and children is in detention centers while they wait for their applications to be processes  not concentration camps and prison... it is not illegal to seek refuge..

Well, there is the LAW. Zero tolerance means you enforce the law as written, no exceptions. A government may have a policy NOT to enforce the law, as we have seen many times, but what then would be the importance of laws if the enforcement is arbitrary?. Better to make better, bipartisan supported laws, which lies within the domain of Congress.

56 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

What would that change? Trump is only guilty of "strict adherence to immigration laws." That makes him an a-hole. I think even his supporters know that about him.

If he didn't adhere to immigration laws the folks would be calling him an "autocratic authoritarian".

It was a mean calculation by Congress, on both sides of the aisle, to use these people as electoral fodder .

Sorry, I didn´t realize that the general US citizen was that complicated. However, as answer to your your main question: A hell of a lot!

Evidently, this change in policy was discussed early on in the Trump administration but was shelved because many people pointed out the potential problems.

Even Ms. Nielsen pointed out the issues in a cabinet meeting back in May, where tRump ripped into her so badly she wanted to quit. Shortly thereafter she must have had a visit from the Devil as it is apparent she has sold what little is left of her soul. The President seems able to corrupt anyone.

But Miller and Sessions kept pushing, and Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III issued a directive on April 6, 2018, which has resulted in this situation.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1049751/download?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

tRump could easily sign an executive order, my goodness does he love anything more, rescinding his AG's policy. After all, he famously said, "only I can fix this".

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Evidently, this change in policy was discussed early on in the Trump administration but was shelved because many people pointed out the potential problems.

Even Ms. Nielsen pointed out the issues in a cabinet meeting back in May, where tRump ripped into her so badly she wanted to quit. Shortly thereafter she must have had a visit from the Devil as it is apparent she has sold what little is left of her soul. The President seems able to corrupt anyone.

But Miller and Sessions kept pushing, and Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III issued a directive on April 6, 2018, which has resulted in this situation.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1049751/download?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

tRump could easily sign an executive order, my goodness does he love anything more, rescinding his AG's policy. After all, he famously said, "only I can fix this".

Or everyone could just do their job and.....govern. Anyone remember those days? I wouldn't think folks would like an Imperial Trump presidency any more than they liked the Imperial Obama presidency. Call your Congressperson and Senator. The Executive Branch does not make laws.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, there is the LAW. Zero tolerance means you enforce the law as written, no exceptions. A government may have a policy NOT to enforce the law, as we have seen many times, but what then would be the importance of laws if the enforcement is arbitrary?. Better to make better, bipartisan supported laws, which lies within the domain of Congress.

The LAW says it is not illegal to seek refuge or asylum ...  We will see how much respect Trump and his Republican mates have for the law when Muller files his report..

1 minute ago, Laza 45 said:

The LAW says it is not illegal to seek refuge or asylum ...  We will see how much respect Trump and his Republican mates have for the law when Muller files his report..

Well, we're all looking forward to that, but it doesn't have anything to do with this issue. This issue has been going on for at least 4 years and predates both Trump and Mueller. It's a tragic f'ing mess, but what it isn't is something new.

Just as an aside, do you understand how the 3 branches of the US Federal government operate? What are their respective duties and what are the limits on their respective powers?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

The policy of forcibly separating children and caging them in concentration camps is enacted by Trump, it is a Trump and therefore a Republican policy.

Your attempts to make this a bipartisan problem of Congress are digraceful.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, we're all looking forward to that, but it doesn't have anything to do with this issue. This issue has been going on for at least 4 years and predates both Trump and Mueller. It's a tragic f'ing mess, but what it isn't is something new.

Just as an aside, do you understand how the 3 branches of the US Federal government operate? What are their respective duties and what are the limits on their respective powers?

As a Trump supporter you really ought to avoid discussion on the separation of powers.

And please, forcibly seperating children from their parents then caging them in concentration camps has not been going on for years - It’s a new abuse brought to the US by Trump and the racists he used as advisors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The policy of forcibly separating children and caging them in concentration camps is enacted by Trump, it is a Trump and therefore a Republican policy.

Your attempts to make this a bipartisan problem of Congress are digraceful.

Yes, separating children is newly implemented policy, but this current deterrence of illegal immigrants is pretty small compared to what the last administration did. What has changed is the vigor and non arbitrariness of the past administration, but in fact deportations are down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-15/trump-is-deporting-fewer-immigrants-than-obama-did

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

That is BS and I am slightly surprised it comes from you. The LAW states that anyone crossing the border illegally is guilty of a misdemeanor. You DO NOT have your children taken away from you for a misdemeanor. The LAW states that it is legal to claim asylum. The LAW does not say that you have to be at a port of entry to claim asylum, you merely have to be on American soil. The LAW does NOT say that if you claim asylum you must have your children taken off you.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

That is BS and I am slightly surprised it comes from you. The LAW states that anyone crossing the border illegally is guilty of a misdemeanor. You DO NOT have your children taken away from you for a misdemeanor. The LAW states that it is legal to claim asylum. The LAW does not say that you have to be at a port of entry to claim asylum, you merely have to be on American soil. The LAW does NOT say that if you claim asylum you must have your children taken off you.

It is my understanding that it used to be treated as a civil offense, rather than a criminal offense. If it is not a criminal offense ANYONE can bring a court action for a stay.

It is legal to claim asylum, but the claim must be in keeping with proscribed procedures.

I am not in favor of the removal of children. I see it as a gray area thathas occurred given the writing of bad law.

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not in favor of any of this. I see America's illegal immigrant problem as stemming from it's horrendous laws concerning how one may become a legal immigrant. It's a nightmare. Frankly, most of America is empty, undeveloped spaces and we could easily assimilate a couple of hundred million more immigrants over time, if economic conditions allow. I hope the bulk of them come from the North and South American continents, but that's just a personal preference 

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Yes, separating children is newly implemented policy, but this current deterrence of illegal immigrants is pretty small compared to what the last administration did. What has changed is the vigor and non arbitrariness of the past administration, but in fact deportations are down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-15/trump-is-deporting-fewer-immigrants-than-obama-did

There you go again, whataboutary.

The last administration did not forcibly separate immigrant children from their parents and the cage those children in concentration camps.

You sir are excusing what is arguably the worst abuses carried out in the US by a US government since WW2.

I’ve disagreed with you on many things here on TVF but I never once, until now, observed you being callous in the views you express.

You’ve leapt in with both feet becoming viscously so.

Children forcibly desperated from their parents and caged in concentration camps.

That sir is what you are excusing.

Then DHS Secretary Kelly outlines his "new initiative" in March, 2017...scroll to 6:15

When so many: Sessions, Homan, Tucker and Laura have to resort to "this is not as bad as what the Nazis did", and "we're just following orders", you know this is indefensible.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There you go again, whataboutary.

The last administration did not forcibly separate immigrant children from their parents and the cage those children in concentration camps.

You sir are excusing what is arguably the worst abuses carried out in the US by a US government since WW2.

I’ve disagreed with you on many things here on TVF but I never once, until now, observed you being callous in the views you express.

You’ve leapt in with both feet becoming viscously so.

Children forcibly desperated from their parents and caged in concentration camps.

That sir is what you are excusing.

I am not in favor of removing children from their parents, ever. Nor am I in favor of illegal immigration, excluding refugees. I support DACA kids, and I support pathways to Permanent Rsidency for long term illegals domiciled in the US. What I don't favor is the staus quo, where we go through all this every decade or so.

Congress should be writing better laws. This is all to do with bad governance.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Good.

Not Good. This has occurred because of the inhumane policy of Trump, Miller and Sessions. It has nothing to do at all with badly written law, the law is clear. There are no "loop holes" to close. The 'loop holes' that Trump, Nielsen and Sessions want to close are "build my wall and we release the kids".

I just can't take the wall thing seriously. I may be wrong about that, but that's my feeling.

Just now, lannarebirth said:

I just can't take the wall thing seriously. I may be wrong about that, but that's my feeling.

Neither do most. But the 'wall thing', will be a pre-condition of the Kidnapper In Chief freeing the children.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Republicans control both houses, yet Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell seem impotent.

It is on the Republicans now, which is too bad because this problem has been kicked down the road so far the Democrats could have been the ones writing it, but they punted instead.

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I am not in favor of removing children from their parents, ever. Nor am I in favor of illegal immigration, excluding refugees. I support DACA kids, and I support pathways to Permanent Rsidency for long term illegals domiciled in the US. What I don't favor is the staus quo, where we go through all this every decade or so.

Congress should be writing better laws. This is all to do with bad governance.

This is all to do with having a vicious racist in the WH, surrounded by his hand picked vicious racist advisors and supported by racists in the electorate.

The problem started by voting for a viscious racist.

The fix starts with shouting ‘not in my name’.

See you make the right choice at the mid terms.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This is all to do with having a vicious racist in the WH, surrounded by his hand picked vicious racist advisors and supported by racists in the electorate.

The problem started by voting for a viscious racist.

The fix starts with shouting ‘not in my name’.

See you make the right choice at the mid terms.

I always make the right choice, but someone else always gets elected.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Wow, talk about twisting arguments and reality.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1