Mangmoom cards for subway train travels to be in use on June 23

webfact

Mangmoom cards for subway train travels to be in use on June 23 

By Thai PBS

2018-06-20_12-17-22.jpg

The  Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) will begin distributing  200,000 of the so-called “Maengmoom” or “Spider” cards for train commuters travelling on its Blue and Purple Lines on June 22.

The Ministry of Transport’s Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning director Chaiwat Thongkhamkoon said the cards under the new joint ticketing system   would be distributed  on June 22 and  used the next day or June 23 for travelling on the Blue Line and the Purple Line.

For the joint ticketing system with city bus operator, he expected the Maeng Moon cards to be used for city bus travel in October.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mangmoom-cards-subway-train-travels-use-june-23/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-20

25 minutes ago, blackcab said:

@Crossy If you have an existing MRT card with a balance, will that balance be transferred over to the new card?

You will have to refund your existing MRT-Plus and buy a Mangmoom.

But, unless you intend using the bus or ARL, there's no point, this (partial) implementation of Mangmoom won't give you anything above what you already have. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

From this morning's visit to the local Purple Line station, I found that he problem with Mangmoom is that one needs to be a Thai citizen and register with their ID, which is entered into a database.

It's not available to expats and tourists.

8 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

From this morning's visit to the local Purple Line station, I found that he problem with Mangmoom is that one needs to be a Thai citizen and register with their ID, which is entered into a database.

It's not available to expats and tourists.

You mean for once they want to track Thais rather than foreigners???

56 minutes ago, Katia said:

You mean for once they want to track Thais rather than foreigners???

Being the certified tin hat conspiracy theorist that I am, the "tracking" scheme did cross my mind. However, at this point in time, they could only track where one gets on and off the MRT. When the buses go online, they could track where you boarded. BTS would be the same as MRT. Tracking would seem like a waste of time.

However, there is that prevailing sense of paranoia that pervades the government. ?