Any Silkworm Farm In Chiang Mai

redbicycle

Haven't been in many years, but most of the factories that sold silk had a production area where the whole process is shown... Most of the factories are on san kampeng road..

Edited by Ajarn

Haven't been in many years, but most of the factories that sold silk had a production area where the whole process is shown... Most of the factories are on san kampeng road..

Thanks ajarn, its san kampeng road.do they have silk egg for sale ?

I'm not sure, but they will know where you can buy..

Thanks ajarn, its san kampeng road.do they have silk egg for sale ?

I'm not sure, but they will know where you can buy..

Thanks again ajarn.

Bit of info...

The process of silk production varies a bit from country to country.

The raw silk material is a natural product of the silkworm, which is a type of moth that feeds on the mulberry bush.

When the silkworm moves from the larva stage to the pupa stage of development, it spins a cocoon like all other moths and butterflies. This cocoon comes from the larva moth's salivary glands and is woven through a complex set of mechanisms within the moth's anatomy. The finished cocoon is pulled from the mulberry bush and placed in a vat of boiling water, which separates the silk thread of the cocoon from the caterpillar inside.

The silkworms of Thailand are grown primarily on the Korat Plateau in the country's northeast region, although the majority of silk production takes place in the Chiangmai area. The silk thread of Thailand's silkworms is a natural gold color and one cocoon consists of one thread that is often as long as 500 meters. Each thread is too thin to use alone so many threads are combined to make a thicker, more practical fiber. The raw silk threads are washed and bleached before being placed in vats of hot dyes. The result is washed again and stretched before being put through a final dying process. After the final dying and drying, the threads are wound onto drums and sent to weaving shops where the silk cloth is produced.

At some of Chiangmai's silk centers in the Sankhampaeng factory district visitors have an opportunity to watch the process described above with a running commentary by one of the factory's staff. Some of the silk production centers maintain their own mulberry gardens where they grow silkworms, and a visit to one of these includes all aspects of silk production from the cocoon growing stage to the weaving of the finished product. At these, hand operated looms are often used and one weaver produces only four meters of silk cloth in a single day.

lots more...including....

Recognizing Real Silk

The question is, "how can you be sure that the silk fabric item you wish to buy is actuary 100 percent Thai silk and not the imitation, which is made of polyester?"

There are five basic guidelines for determining the answer to this question. Consider the price, the weave, the lusters, and the print and what we call the Burn Test.

There is a big difference in price between the I 00-percent sills items and the imitation items. Generally for a 100-percent silk item you should expect................. :o

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/thai_silk.html

If anyone's interested in seeing 'another side' of silk, check out this link: Beauty without cruelty .

Since the production of this fabric involves the killing of animals (silkworms), I personally would consider it 'un-Buddhist' to buy or make use of this fabric as it involves cruel methods of killing (the insect being boiled alive in order to separate it from the cocoon). Whilst I understand that silk makes a very chique fabric, its manufacture is quite unnecesssary in my opinion, especially with a wide range of synthetic and plant-based fabrics available.

I acknowledge that most people don't really care about the lives of insects. I think it would be great however if people would at least say a little 'thank you' to the hundreds of silkworms for giving up their lives next time they wear a silk shirt.

:o

Fraktalkid

Edited by Fraktalkid

I personally would consider it 'un-Buddhist' to buy or make use of this fabric as it involves cruel methods of killing (the insect being boiled alive in order to separate it from the cocoon).

I acknowledge that most people don't really care about the lives of insects. I think it would be great however if people would at least say a little 'thank you' to the hundreds of silkworms for giving up their lives next time they wear a silk shirt.

You must be joking. :o

If anyone's interested in seeing 'another side' of silk, check out this link: Beauty without cruelty .

Since the production of this fabric involves the killing of animals (silkworms), I personally would consider it 'un-Buddhist' to buy or make use of this fabric as it involves cruel methods of killing (the insect being boiled alive in order to separate it from the cocoon). Whilst I understand that silk makes a very chique fabric, its manufacture is quite unnecesssary in my opinion, especially with a wide range of synthetic and plant-based fabrics available.

:D

Fraktalkid

The Thai missus just threw out all her silk stuff after doing the 3 day Thai temple thing..Nice one fraktalkid, you just save me a (future) fortune.. :o