PM Prayut: Relations with neighboring countries are strong

webfact

PM: Relations with neighboring countries are strong

PNPOL610624001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 25th June 2018 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha says that Thailand’s relationships with its neighbors are strong, as evidenced by an increase in border trade. 

The prime minister reiterated that during the past four years, the current administration has been committed to resolving social and political problems through national reform as well as strengthening relations with foreign countries, international organizations, and allies. 

Gen Prayut believes that the country’s strong ties with neighboring nations are the key to national and regional development, adding that its foreign relations are at their strongest in many years. 

In 2017, the total value of border trade was recorded at 1 billion baht, a 6% increase year-on-year. Also in 2017, Thailand’s trade surplus was 200 billion baht. 

While it has remained competitive in the international arena, Thailand according to the PM has been managing its foreign policies well, lauding his government’s success in turning a ‘failed state’ into a nation that is accepted by the world community.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

lauding his government’s success in turning a ‘failed state’ into a nation that is accepted by the world community.

kin comical,  like most dont give a sh...........

Edited by kannot

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

That "smile" of his, which we see daily, makes him look like the village idiot who just crapped in his pants and is hoping no one notices the smell. 

My guess, the village idiot wouldn'd give a s...! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

9 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

As for strong ties with neighbours I would suggest the PM probably has a good bond with Hun Sen. They seem to have a lot in common. I am not permitted to say what that might be.

I wouldn't say the same for Laos, or Vietnam. I would describe their relationship with Thailand's leadership as one of muted tolerance for mutual benefit. Myanmar and Thailand outwardly seem friends but I think that any underlying differences might be papered over in favour of other considerations.

Thailand is next in line for the Chairmanship of ASEAN. Knowing how the PM adores chairmanships and being the boss of everything I'm sure he can't wait to get his backside into the big seat.

Yes, but what if, having settled in the big chair in January, as scheduled, he comes spectacularly unstuck in the General Election which he has promised for February? I mean, just as he is getting comfortable as it were, he would have to step down!

I suppose he could delay the election for a year or so, but that would make a nonsense of the roadmap, and anyway he has promised hasn't he...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

That "smile" of his, which we see daily, makes him look like the village idiot who just crapped in his pants and is hoping no one notices the smell. 

He's a comedian. I like him. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lanista said:

Just looking at his face suggests he's mentally unstable.

If relations are so good why doesnt Thailand return the emerald buddha to Laos  and  stop throwing Burmese

fisherman off Thai trawlers miles from land.

Can't think of many stable leaders in the world nowadays! :saai:

The other is a money issue, who would pay entry fees for see an empty temple.

Edited by jethro69

23 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, but what if, having settled in the big chair in January, as scheduled, he comes spectacularly unstuck in the General Election which he has promised for February? I mean, just as he is getting comfortable as it were, he would have to step down!

I suppose he could delay the election for a year or so, but that would make a nonsense of the roadmap, and anyway he has promised hasn't he...

What a hoot that would be if he did get rolled in February. I imagine in my mind's eye the new incumbent would drag him out of the chair by the scruff of the neck followed by a big implant of his boot up his ass. Woo-hoo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's not worried about the election.  If he loses, his buddies in uniform will simply stage another coup to "restore democracy", and appoint him as PM again.  Unless, of course, one of THEM want to sit in the Big Chair.  If so, then he's nothing more than a footnote in Thai history. 

• Like 2

You would think the way forward is strong relationships with more advanced countries is more important....

BUT.. if your expectation for Thailand is not high, then you gotta take any crap relationships you can get

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thhMan said:

You would think the way forward is strong relationships with more advanced countries is more important....

BUT.. if your expectation for Thailand is not high, then you gotta take any crap relationships you can get

Nice sig. Do you misanthrope much?

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

"...a nation that is accepted by the world community".  Hey, Pan'ochio, got a news flash for you.  Most people in the world don't even know where Thailand is.  I'd been here a year and called my younger brother.  The one with the Master's Degree in economics, and told him I was in Thailand. 

"Taiwan?  What are you doing in Taiwan?"  
"Not Taiwan, Thailand."
"Thailand?  Where's that?"

True story.

Well, your brother might have grade, but he is quite stupid.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Well, your brother might have grade, but he is quite stupid.

Not necessarily.  I've spoken to quite a few people from the West who had no idea of where Thailand was.  Including a guy who works at a major main post office in LA.  Everyone knows of Taiwan, but damn few know of Thailand. 

• Sad 2

'... lauding his government’s success in turning a ‘failed state’ into a nation that is accepted by the world community.'

Words are cheap. And lies are even cheaper.

I can say: 'I am the leader of the Western world. All European and North American governments come to consult with me on what their policies should be. Last year I improved the economies of all countries who consulted with me, and I increased the GDP of my own country by 200%. Already this year, I am in line for the Nobel Prizes for Peace and for Economics ....'

If you have no  conscience and no connectedness with reality, you can lie easily about anything. Such empty lies are fine if you are Thai. Part of normal, daily discourse. And they will be believed - at least, not contested or critically questioned ...

• Like 1

Myanmar the army controls the country and the drug trade. That is how silly this Thai gov is. They gave a medal to the head of the Myanmar armed forces. That guy has killed more civilians than you can poke a stick at plus he has made millions from drugs Maybe he got the medal for making his first million out of corruption money. But you can see why they like these countries that surround Thailand They all have dictators in power.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Not necessarily.  I've spoken to quite a few people from the West who had no idea of where Thailand was.  Including a guy who works at a major main post office in LA.  Everyone knows of Taiwan, but damn few know of Thailand. 

Really In this modern age of computer etc, these people don't know where Thailand is. Do they know what country they live in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Really In this modern age of computer etc, these people don't know where Thailand is. Do they know what country they live in?

If they have no reason to look something up, why would they know? While the computer age provides access to information, it does not force people to learn new things they have no interest in. In my case I know nothing about football (add your own subject, e.g. molecular biology), have absolutely no interest in it, so why would I look it up? Knowledge I neither need nor want. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If they have no reason to look something up, why would they know? While the computer age provides access to information, it does not force people to learn new things they have no interest in. In my case I know nothing about football (add your own subject, e.g. molecular biology), have absolutely no interest in it, so why would I look it up? Knowledge I neither need nor want. 

Well, each to their own But you are right American especially tend not to worry about the rest the world I remember they sent a reporter from Australia around New York asking "Did they know where Australia is"  About 1in 5 knew. So basically most Americans neither need or want to know that knowledge. But don't you think just think if someone asked you where Australia is and you did not know would you not take a peek just to see where it is? Considering That Australia has gone to every war America has because of the ANZUS alliance As Einstein said once " Knowledge is a wonderful thing"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Well, each to their own But you are right American especially tend not to worry about the rest the world I remember they sent a reporter from Australia around New York asking "Did they know where Australia is"  About 1in 5 knew. So basically most Americans neither need or want to know that knowledge. But don't you think just think if someone asked you where Australia is and you did not know would you not take a peek just to see where it is? Considering That Australia has gone to every war America has because of the ANZUS alliance As Einstein said once " Knowledge is a wonderful thing"

With the exception of football, I am always googling stuff. I have a love for learning. I agree wholeheartedly with you. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

Some people though are happy in their ignorance and that is fine too.

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

With the exception of football, I am always googling stuff. I have a love for learning. I agree wholeheartedly with you. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

Some people though are happy in their ignorance and that is fine too.

anyway life goes on we shall try our best here take care

On 6/25/2018 at 12:59 AM, Just1Voice said:

"...a nation that is accepted by the world community".  Hey, Pan'ochio, got a news flash for you.  Most people in the world don't even know where Thailand is.  I'd been here a year and called my younger brother.  The one with the Master's Degree in economics, and told him I was in Thailand. 

"Taiwan?  What are you doing in Taiwan?"  
"Not Taiwan, Thailand."
"Thailand?  Where's that?"

True story.

Seems like overtime he meets with an official outside of Asia they bring up the subject of democracy. A nation accepted by the world community? For those that do know where the country is I'm not sure the word "accepted" would be one I used to describe the relationship unless the advert "begrudgingly" was added.