Where to live in Thailand for 4 months

Billpro785

Leaving my current job, and will be starting another in Oct. Looking for advice where to spend 4 months in Thailand  until the new job. Not looking for the usual tourist spots, but somewhere maybe rent I could small house or flat and just chill out. Possibly somewhere scenic, photography is my hobby, and maybe has a little nightlife. Have set a max budget around 98,000 Baht per month, plus emergency fund.  Also, should I buy or rent a motor bike ?  a would  assume a tourist visa would be the way to go ? 

Personally I'd research internet on Thailand places and pick a number of them and then ask the question, there are so many.

Also I'd stay a month at a time to chill or less and move around.

If scenic with great photo opportunities is the top priority and nightlife the lowest,  The Isan province of Loei  has some spectacular scenery and is very laid back.  Also the adjoining provinces of Nong Kai, Beung Kan (new) and Nahkon Phanom have some great small cities on the Mekong River that are a look back into time.

Within a few hours motorbike ride of the above but with more nightlife is Udon Thani with a wide variety of available accommodations  and a lot of interesting areas nearby.  Udon is very well served by direct air and rail and bus connections to most of Thailand.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

with that kind of $$$ u can stay anywhere in Thailand.

If u like the sea;  Phuket

if u love the mtns, hiking, motorcycling, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai area ( and save 20-25%)

Bike rental is around 3-5,000/month for  a honda wave or a small auto. DONT BUY

After 3 months( tourist visa 60days+ 30 day in country extension)  ur gong to need do a boarder run...

Lived in Chiang Rai in 2013 in June , loved it, but rained all the time . Looking into Hua Hin area, Was alos thinking of Koh Chang, but, again more rain than sun this time of the year. Never had been to Hua Hin, so looking forward to it. Can I get a tourist visa in Cambodia ? 

6 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Can I get a tourist visa in Cambodia ? 

You can get a visa on arrival but it's a sticker that takes up a full PP page.  Many prefer to do it online because all you get is a stamp in the PP.  It does cost $5 more as I recall. 

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

If you plan on a Cambodia visit, dollars are used for just about everything.  Good idea to bring a bunch of small denomination bills: 1s, 5s & 10's.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Considering photography, price, riding, I'd choose three months Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai area. Stay off the highways and find spectacular scenery on mountain roads. Enjoy the hot springs, temples, and streamside restaurants. A ride up to Pai is well worthwhile. Then make a border run and spend your last month in a quiet area of Pattaya, such as the hill and beach between Pattaya and Jomtien. BKK airport bus runs to that area for 120 baht. Bike rental places near the bus station.

• Like 2

Good advice from KittenKong.  In addition to Jomtien in Pattaya, I would also recommend the Wongamat Beach area of Pattaya as another option.  Some nice new and older condos that would be in your budget and lots of restaurants and shops, fresh fruit vendors, etc.   Not far from Central Marina and Central Festival.  Bangkok just 2 hours away if you want to do some things there.  Ferry available to Hua Hin.  

I think there are some quiet parts to Pattaya too, jomtien is quite quiet but I like the peace and tranquility of bangsaray and ban amphur about 15 km out of pattaya it has many tourist attractions around there including nong nooch waterworld and some fantastic temples a bike is a necessity there to get around then you have places like ban Chang and rayong not to far away the people are very friendly and villas and condos alike very cheap with a budget of 98000 you can live anywhere in Thailand but for scenery etc laid back life I would choose bangsaray and at the sunshine beach you have free WiFi there rent a deck chair all day for 30 baht lovely clean beach with a great view up the beach to ban amphur jomtien and Pattaya can’t wait until January to start my yearly 3 monthly trip anyway enjoy your time there  

• Like 1

Pak Nam Pran is a quite  relaxing aria. Beautiful and still Thai in the surroundings of the mountains from Sam Roi Yot and the Wildlife in Kui Buri.

Not much to do in the nighttime, but Hua Hin is close.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dddave said:

You can get a visa on arrival but it's a sticker that takes up a full PP page.  Many prefer to do it online because all you get is a stamp in the PP.  It does cost $5 more as I recall. 

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

If you plan on a Cambodia visit, dollars are used for just about everything.  Good idea to bring a bunch of small denomination bills: 1s, 5s & 10's.

cost $10 more  visa fee charge, credit card charge

no reason for it as its simple and painless to get on arrival; 30 day visa $30,can be renewed once  in country for another 30 days for apx $45.

PS; i live in phuket and have for over 30 years an  DO RECOMMEND it.

I've been in Thailand (up North) for a month, it's rained nearly every day and doesn't look like stopping until November.

Choose somewhere where there's stuff to do in the rain. The mountains are pretty between the rain showers.

palaat.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Have a look at Bang Saen. All the facilities you would need and public transport quite good, own transport not essential. Plenty of reasonable accommodation to rent.

Is there a public bus from Bangkok to Bang Saen?  I don't remember seeing it posted at Ekkamai.

Maybe the bus to Chonburi and Song Tao from there?

Hi,  I have a beautiful 2bed 2bath as new condo in Pratamnyuk/cosy beach area of Pattaya. Beautiful uninterrupted 180deg sea views from large balcony, quality Italian furnishings. I could possibly consider a short term lease of four months following communication with you. 

4 hours ago, dddave said:

Is there a public bus from Bangkok to Bang Saen?  I don't remember seeing it posted at Ekkamai.

Maybe the bus to Chonburi and Song Tao from there?

Almost certainly, I don't see why it should have stopped running, quite a while since I last used it. I think it is the Sri Ratcha bus but you have to ask for Nong Mon, the bus does not actually stop in Bang Saen but in the Nong Mon market. Coming from Bangkok the bus stops at the 7 Eleven and you have to cross the road to the Songtheow station. You need to check the destination with the driver, they all set off in the same direction, back to towards Chonburi but some turn left down to Bang Saen beach. They do a loop along the beach and then back up to Suk.

• Like 1