Downloads stopped

Barnet

I have been downloading films, music, series etc from the same websites for years yet all of a sudden it has stopped.

I live in China now but it worked fine for months until recently.

On one Torrent client it shows the magnet was received but it sits there doing nothing and says 'Stalled', at 0%

The other is similar only it just sits there.  On the programs and features list the second app says 'Unavailable.'

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I have tried different websites to download from and the same.

The only way I got it to work was by joining a hot spot wifi, then I downloaded from another site.  This immediately worked and when I logged back onto my wifi at work, which I normally download from until recently, it suddenly worked right through to completion.  However, any subsequent attempts thereafter resultewd in the same failures again.

Could it be my work has done something?  Or is it something more serious.

The VPN I use has been fine up until now also.

32 minutes ago, Barnet said:

Thanks for that OMF.

'Torrents at work what were you thinking?'  

You make it sound like I robbed a bank!

The problem is that one computer downloading torrents can suck all the bandwidth out of a network. Many other users had maybe problem with their email, looking up work related info on the web, etc.

So no, you didn't rob a bank, but possibly you made other peoples work more difficult.

Everybody in my workplace does exactly the same and has done for years.  You want a film or football match to watch, download it.  

I agree it doesn't fit protocol but its a staff room where people sit and read the paper, listen to music or do as they wish.  

1 hour ago, Barnet said:

Everybody in my workplace does exactly the same and has done for years.  You want a film or football match to watch, download it.  

I agree it doesn't fit protocol but its a staff room where people sit and read the paper, listen to music or do as they wish.  

Maybe you can convince your boss and/or IT guy to setup a second open WLAN for private use. When work internet and private internet are separated then some people can work (with lots of security settings) and others can use free WiFi for whatever they want. A win/win situation for everybody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barnet said:

Just googled it.  Thanks

Of which do you like the look? Let me know via PM.

Often, they'll have a trial period or a size limit to allow you to test the service before committing to a month or more.

14 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Of which do you like the look? Let me know via PM.

Often, they'll have a trial period or a size limit to allow you to test the service before committing to a month or more.

I looked at a few but would be open to recommendations.  

Thank you