Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

Despite younghusband's predictable and yet perplexingly repeated flaming of any number of posters and a moderator:

No more politics says ousted Thai prime minister

The former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, toppled in a bloodless coup last September, has had enough of politics.Thaksin Shinawatra : "I have no ambition to go back to politics. Six years is enough."

He said Friday that he would keep out of politics and despite the military take-over in Thailand he was hopeful of a return to civilian rule.

"As a Thai citizen, I have a right to go back to my country. But I will stay back to help reconciliation."

If Thaksin Shinawatra was bitter about the manner of his ousting and the coup plotters who engineered it, he showed no public bitterness and hardly made any criticism of the present leadership.

Speaking at the prestigious London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) an optimistic Shinawatra believed that the military junta will keep its promise and return the country to democratic rule.

Shinawatra, speaking on "Democracy at the crossroads", said the military had promised that elections would be held and he was firmly of the opinion that it would abide by it.

The former prime minister, who ruled for some 5 1/2 years until his ouster while he was New York to attend the UN General Assembly, said that after 17 constitutions democracy was firmly embedded in Thailand.

The people have seen the benefits of democracy. The economic prosperity that has come to Thailand was because of a democratic system of government and the Thai people expected that this system of government would be returned to them.

"I remain strongly optimistic and hopeful for democracy to return. People see the link with economic prosperity."

He said that after the Asian financial crisis of 1997, Thailand recovered. He said since coming to power he strengthened the Thai economy from bottom up and the resilience of the Thai people helped in that recovery.

"Now our people should be reconciled. The restoration of democracy will help in this reconciliation."

Asked if his policies on the southern Muslim insurgency had failed and that was one reason for his ouster, Shinawatra said that he used the carrot and stick policy.

Where there was a breakdown of law and order he had to act but that was within the rule of law.

He appeared a stickler for the rule of law.

At the same time he said he tried to improve the economic conditions of the southern Muslims.

While bringing to justice those who broke the law, he tried to help the Muslim population in the south by creating jobs for them.

Overall he defended vigorously his economic policies which he said that brought economic betterment for the Thais and quoted statistics in support.

- Asian Tribune

Edited by sriracha john

Despite younghusband's predictable and yet perplexingly repeated flaming of any number of posters and a moderator:

No more politics says ousted Thai prime minister

The former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, toppled in a bloodless coup last September, has had enough of politics.Thaksin Shinawatra : "I have no ambition to go back to politics. Six years is enough."

If possible you should rid yourself of the view that anyone expressing a position with which you disagree is flaming.It's childish and intellectually lazy since it's an easy way of avoiding marshalling thoughts and making a considered argument.I make no claim to getting every thing right, and I would be delighted to have a rational dialogue.This is what you should be aiming at.

As to the report on Thaksin's speech at IISS it seems very unexceptional, and carefully framed so as not to offend.

If possible you should rid yourself of the view that anyone expressing a position with which you disagree is flaming.It's childish and intellectually lazy since it's an easy way of avoiding marshalling thoughts and making a considered argument.I make no claim to getting every thing right, and I would be delighted to have a rational dialogue.This is what you should be aiming at.

:D very funny: here is a tasty selection of some very recent venom filled quotes from younghusband:

I accept that the bone headed anti-Thaksin mob on this forum will never "get it"
"Why don't you get a life?" is not an expression I use very often but by God it applies to these guys.
Ah well, against stupidity, the Gods themselves struggle in vain.

f words or not? ok folks, you make up your own mind. :o

Younghusband to disagree with someone if fine and at adds flavor to the thread. However your added negative words directed at the poster and not the poster’s opinion are what we are talking about. It looks very bad when you need or try to degrade another person just to make yourself look better. If you can’t climb up to their level, then please don’t try to pull them down to yours. If people don’t respond to you it is not because you won, it is because they don’t wish to come do to the level you are posting at.

Anyway back on topic here, Thaksin is saying this so much it is almost believable. Perhaps he is trying self suggestion..... naaaa only for the camera.

Younghusband to disagree with someone if fine and at adds flavor to the thread. However your added negative words directed at the poster and not the poster’s opinion are what we are talking about. It looks very bad when you need or try to degrade another person just to make yourself look better. If you can’t climb up to their level, then please don’t try to pull them down to yours. If people don’t respond to you it is not because you won, it is because they don’t wish to come do to the level you are posting at.

Anyway back on topic here, Thaksin is saying this so much it is almost believable. Perhaps he is trying self suggestion..... naaaa only for the camera.

Thanks to Grover for pointing out some of the type language younghusband used to participate in this particular "rational dialogue" with people other than myself. I'd only add that amazingly these are some of younghusband's more tame terminology when compared to other "rational dialogue" threads he's participated in. I appreciate the moderators' efforts and wonder at their patience to keep cleaning up these "dialogues" time after time.

Thanks to John K for explaining in such a calm manner what is obvious to all except apparently the poster in quesiton.

How many times has Mr Big called it quits since early-2006? Reminds me of some aging rock star setting out yet again on his umpteenth final tour.

:o

Information I have gleaned from some of the "political pundits" who claim to be in the know:

Thaksin and family are hoping to work out a deal with the new powers-that-be to the effect that he will be willing to bow out of politics in exchange for dropping or at least shelving any investigation of any corruption or tax evasion charges they have pending. The deal is....no investigation....Thaksin gives up political efforts, and he and family get a clear book from any pending investigation.

That is the rumor, anyhow.

:D

How many times has Mr Big called it quits since early-2006? Reminds me of some aging rock star setting out yet again on his umpteenth final tour.

Information I have gleaned from some of the "political pundits" who claim to be in the know:

Thaksin and family are hoping to work out a deal with the new powers-that-be to the effect that he will be willing to bow out of politics in exchange for dropping or at least shelving any investigation of any corruption or tax evasion charges they have pending. The deal is....no investigation....Thaksin gives up political efforts, and he and family get a clear book from any pending investigation.

That is the rumor, anyhow.

:D

"Hope is a dangerous thing" -The Shawshank Redemption.

Thanks to Grover for pointing out some of the type language younghusband used to participate in this particular "rational dialogue" with people other than myself. I'd only add that amazingly these are some of younghusband's more tame terminology when compared to other "rational dialogue" threads he's participated in. I appreciate the moderators' efforts and wonder at their patience to keep cleaning up these "dialogues" time after time.

Thanks to John K for explaining in such a calm manner what is obvious to all except apparently the poster in quesiton.

The point of discussion on this forum, particularly on serious matters, is to have a free exchange of views to the extent permitted by the rules.It is true I do not suffer fools gladly but any incisive language is almost always in the context of a specific viewpoint or argument.I also have a distinct antipathy to the herd view, and some times the contrarian view is best conveyed in a colourful form.I think it is really for forum members, rather than you and I, to decide who is more rational, informed and interesting.The people who have a problem with me I think are relatively few in number and always the same:interested members can look at their posting history to form an opinion of their contributions to the forum.Certainly I have had many messages of support, some of whom particularly refer to the unhelpful contributions of some compulsive posters who adopt a bullying tone until they have their way.

I too appreciate moderators patience, particularly on the political forums.It's probably not a very good idea for you to get too priggish as your own postings have had to be deleted or modified on several occasions.

I hope sriracha john, john k, younghusband, and others can just keep posting on the topic rather than on the subject of each other. Take your personal vendettas to a PM. Just a thought! All of your views, from whatever perspective are interesting to read and ponder. In an anonymous forum personal attacks are just "weird".

Ok, so we know Toxin was a despot with delusions of infallibility, but was he any more corrupt than his predecessors or any less corrupt than whoever takes office after the next election?

Then, conceding that he was even worse than the fingerpointing suggests, with a lot more yet to surface, who trusts the junta? Come to think of it, let's make it easier by asking who could draw themselves to trust any military outfit that removes an elected government? The international community doesn't, though of course they're out of touch and we know better, right? Cmon, don't be shy, stand up and be counted.

The mudslinging in the past few months is all well and good, and also predictable in justifying the coup and the junta's existence at the helm, but the bottom line has this country under military rule, military rulers do not understand how to run a country, which is fairly demonstrated by their laughable efforts to date, and more importantly they are not given to easily handing back power to the people. Do not forget, even HM gave his nod of approval to the coup, after the event and with no bloodless alternative, though many of the unthinking masses accept it at face value.

Now, considering the political vacuum, with at best weakly qualified candidates to choose from, add this to the escalating activities of the Southern peacelovers, toss in whatever the junta can come up with between now and the supposed election, and there is enough to suggest the junta will try to persuade the people that they need an extended looking after, and guess by whom?

You're looking the wrong way, guys, but fire away anyway.

...I think it is really for forum members, rather than you and I, to decide who is more rational, informed and interesting.

This is not a courtroom trial where you try to impress the judge and the jury, we are not lawyers arguing a case, there's no verdict and there are no winners and losers.

We, well, most of us, are talking to each other. We cannot discard or disregard impressions we make on each other for the sake of scoring some points with "board members who will decide".

Three pages have been wasted after you made a point no one cares or remembers about - whether ISS is a widely recongnised name or not. Did you win your case? Who cares now?

Edited by Plus

...I think it is really for forum members, rather than you and I, to decide who is more rational, informed and interesting.

This is not a courtroom trial where you try to impress the judge and the jury, we are not lawyers arguing a case, there's no verdict and there are no winners and losers.

We, well, most of us, are talking to each other. We cannot discard or disregard impressions we make on each other for the sake of scoring some points with "board members who will decide".

Three pages have been wasted after you made a point no one cares or remembers about - whether ISS is a widely recongnised name or not. Did you win your case? Who cares now?

Nobody and it is a well deserved rebuke.Sometimes one gets caught up in the silliness, and for that I apologise.In this case the provocation was real but it would have been better to ignore it.Sorry.

Well Tony Thaksin is still not listed in IISS and the next speaker is due in 2 days. The only reports have been from the media. So any guess as why? Perhaps truth is a necessary element..... :o

Truth and clarity . The people working on the transcripts are probably still scratching their heads trying to decipher entire paragraphs of cryptic Engrish.

- "Have we cashed in Thaksin's huuuge donation yet?

"Donation?"

- Do you seriously think we'd pay him for a 75% of a speech that 100% of the audience can't even understand?"

"Oh... Yeah, we've cashed in the cheque"

- "Toss the script and tell the webmaster to make it so that we've never heard of the guy.

"You sure about that?"

-"Capitalism at a crossroads my friend. :D"

I can’t help but wonder how many people he has managed to degrade, piss off, and insult in the time he has been away. Perhaps this is fallout from that in that he is not listed now on IISS. It may not even be true but it would certainly fit.

Why bother with proof of Thaksin and his wife's ill deeds? Wasn't he the one who said he would lock up crooks without the need for receipts?

Maybe he should take up residence in the UK where Lord Levy, Blair and co would welcome him, and his millions, with open arms. Lord Shinawatra has more of a ring about it than a mere Lt. Colonel in a corrupt, inefficient Keystone Cops outfit.

Why bother with proof of Thaksin and his wife's ill deeds? Wasn't he the one who said he would lock up crooks without the need for receipts?

Hmm I was not aware of that statement.. If true then what is good for the goose.....

Hmm I was not aware of that statement.. If true then what is good for the goose.....

Ah but John Mr. T will expect all the protection afforded by the courts and justice system unlike that which was offered many of those executed and jailed under his regime, and to be fair the current lot are right to make sure court and tribunal systems are used properly and fairly even if it is causing them problems and criticisms.

Ah but John Mr. T will expect all the protection afforded by the courts and justice system unlike that which was offered many of those executed and jailed under his regime, and to be fair the current lot are right to make sure court and tribunal systems are used properly and fairly even if it is causing them problems and criticisms.

Hammered you are absolutely right, and I personally would love to see him squirm and wiggle in the defendants chair. So what do you think the chances of him ordering a few hits on witnesses when he is on trial? I can’t see him playing by the rules even though he would expect other to do so.

The goose thing was just a pleasant passing thought.

Hammered you are absolutely right, and I personally would love to see him squirm and wiggle in the defendants chair. So what do you think the chances of him ordering a few hits on witnesses when he is on trial? I can’t see him playing by the rules even though he would expect other to do so.

The goose thing was just a pleasant passing thought.

John= Given that you agree with Hammered, can I conclude that you believe that the rule of law should trump the allure of expediency? Would you extend the same graciousness to --- suspected drug dealers? Suspected terrorists?

Edited by blaze

Suspects yes for everyone the courts for sure. As for terrorists caught in the act, well seeing as some describe it as a war I suspect shooting them would be the answer if they did not surrender.

Suspects yes for everyone the courts for sure. As for terrorists caught in the act, well seeing as some describe it as a war I suspect shooting them would be the answer if they did not surrender.

And why then your constant barrage of posts spurting hate against Thaksin - because "shooting them" was exactly Thaksin's answer to social problems in Thailand, according to his most outspoken opponents?

And what currently happens to 'terrorists caught in the act' or to anybody in this country who when faced with an armed official refuses to surrender? A scolding and a warning that beheadings are inappropriate?

if somebody you knew was found dumped on the side of a road without head attached, i doubt you'd be wringing your hands worrying about what constitutes fair justice to the perpertrators. you'd be calling for blood, you'd be drawing lines in the sand, pronto. no more new testament turn the other cheek suffering and misunderstood victim. j.c. was a dude but he was such an emo. you'd be going back to the old testament, eye for an eye, because thats what these guys believe in. and you know what, there is something pure and simple and final about the most arcane and visceral means of dispute resolution. its survival. you or me. not an invitation to treat. take it, or die.

Edited by thedude

And what currently happens to 'terrorists caught in the act' or to anybody in this country who when faced with an armed official refuses to surrender? A scolding and a warning that beheadings are inappropriate?

Well you know the answer too that the official will continue to exert more force to control, and if it means shooting them, well I guess that can happen any place. However now we are way off topic for this thread.

if somebody you knew was found dumped on the side of a road without head attached, i doubt you'd be wringing your hands worrying about what constitutes fair justice to the perpertrators. you'd be calling for blood, you'd be drawing lines in the sand, pronto. no more new testament turn the other cheek suffering and misunderstood victim. j.c. was a dude but he was such an emo. you'd be going back to the old testament, eye for an eye, because thats what these guys believe in. and you know what, there is something pure and simple and final about the most arcane and visceral means of dispute resolution. its survival. you or me. not an invitation to treat. take it, or die.

You got that right. And in my blind rage I would be very apt to do something really stupid. Maybe slaughter the family of the people I think responsible.

And what would that get me? A few minutes of satisfaction and one more step towards taking the country to civil war.

You mention JC. Why do we even remember his name? He was a martyr. If there's one thing we should know about iterrorism it is don't make martyrs. My god- look at Iraq- at the Palestinians- these are fueled by perceived transgressions. Even Bush recognized the damage done to the 'war on terror' by Abu Gharaib.

And that is exactly what Taksin did - he made martyrs.

Right now there is no civil war. These are sporadic events. But doesn't a cursory examination of Ireland, Israel, Iraq, Algeria, Chechnya- show that blind lust for revenge usually does more harm than good.

I am actually in support of a hard line- but a dispassionate and well thought out hard line- and that line must be within the rule of law and understood to be so by the uncommitted population in the South. A few more Tak Bais, and-though they might salve our lust for revenge, we could see real civil war down there.

And turn the other cheek? Absolutely not. But that doesn't mean running down and slaughtering indiscriminately. It means a thorough understanding of what is going on- and one day we hear that these people are Islamic fundamentalists- the next they are doped up punks. There is a fourteen thousand man secret military unit in this country now. Are they infiltrating villages in the South? Or are they too busy looking for Taksinistas?

For some, human rights have a transcendent moral value- and to a large extent I share that- but more practially, I also know that grossly abusing human rights is a sure fire way to turn the south into an inferno.

Which is the goal? Revenge? or to put an end to terrorism? And ideally to the separatist sentiments that drive it.

WHOOPS

My God- I just looked at the thread's title and realize that we are way off topic here- which I think I kind of am responsible for. Sorry mods and all others who were expecting to read about Taksin and not the southern mess.

Edited by blaze