Chiang Rai: Rescuers make progress on day seven

rooster59

34 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Whether South East Asia likes it or not English is the communication language of the world e.g. civil aviation.

What about interpreters?

Ks45672 I know you put this forward as a possibility but.... ?

The best possible scenario I could envisage is the thais pull out of the operation completely and let the USA and British handle it as they have the expertise, equipment and experience..... 

Unfortunately for these boys we all know that will never be allowed to happen and the team who finds them will have to be Thai for the sake of national pride

I don't think their chances of survival at this stage are  higher than 5%.... Hopefully I'm wrong but if the navy seals and ask their equipment can't handle it then what chance do the boys have? Boys who probably haven't eaten in nearly 8 days, cold and wet in the dark..... 

Edited by Ks45672
  • Sad 1

I understand that right now this doesn’t matter at all but i dont understand Why only one adult football coach goes in a dark cave with a minor youth football team without any other adults joining??

This doesn’t seem right and correct from the start..

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

How do you differentiate between first responders and looters, unless you register them?  In the case of the Phuket tsunami, where did all the volunteers expect to sleep, and what did they expect to eat and drink given that the infrastructure was gone?   There are valid reasons to require WP's before letting "volunteers" in who could easily make things even worse, and consume resources that are in desperately short supply.

All it takes to register as an NGO that can apply for a volunteer WP is $6,000 of assets in Thailand.  Any organization that can't show $6,000 of available cash, probably shouldn't be sending people in to a hot zone.

Infrastructure wasn't gone, drink and food were plentiful.

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I understand that right this doesn’t matter but i dont understand Why only one adult football coach goes in a dark cave with a minor youth football team without any other adults joining??

This doesn’t seem right and correct from the start..

In my opinion, it's exactly that coach who's responsible for the tragic situation. How could anybody take a whole group of kids into a cave in the rainy season? That's something I just don't understand. 

• Like 2

Drill exposes shortcomings which need to be fixed: Governor

Narongsak-Osotthanakorn.png

There were several shortcomings in the evacuation drill conducted at the Tham Luang cave site this morning which need to be fixed, Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said after an assessment of the exercise.

The drill simulated a situation of evacuation starting from the survivors being brought out of the cave, taken onto ambulances, screened of their conditions and delivery to waiting helicopters.

The conditions of the survivors are classified into 13 levels with the first 1-12 levels being classified as normal and the 13th as “red” which requires utmost attention.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/drill-exposes-shortcomings-need-fixed-governor/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-30

4 hours ago, lensta said:

Terminate his employment immediately. POS

he just does not understand that when one has nothing useful to say it is best to shut up, especially in an emergency situation when one does not understand priorities.
wonder whether he showed his ID and properly introduced himself with name and rank before hindering rescue workers to do their job so he can be sued for that.
Some people unfortunately are not up to the responsibility and seniority that should come with their job, that they peeter principled themselves into.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

In my opinion, it's exactly that coach who's responsible for the tragic situation. How could anybody take a whole group of kids into a cave in the rainy season? That's something I just don't understand. 

Hope we hear his explanation soon why he did that.. I seriously doubt any parents have given permission for that.. Normally there needs to be more adults on a group outing with minors..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madusa said:

After watching the news and reading about this case I come to the conclusion nobody really knows much about this cave. There must be somebody out there who knows how many rivers big and small run in the caves, how many smaller caves exist along the main route leading into the deep end. From the way things are being organized I don't think anyone really knows enough to do a good job. Just bad luck for those boys.

Well, if you don't know clearly and in detail about this cave you will be like a blind man firing a gun, hitting the target is a fluke shot .

This cave sounds like a dangerous cave with so much water in side after a heavy rainfall.

The likelihood of drowning inside the cave is very high. Imagine yourself being bashed around those rocks by strong swift running water. How to swim? There is no plant of any sort to hang on to. I was nearly drowned swimming in the sea at the age of about 11. Now looking at those water in the cave gave me nightmare. You never forget those drowning moments.

There are a lot of stalagmites and stalactites, a very low oxygen level and sharp rocks where divers can easily destroy their equipment in a second. The visibility is almost zero because of the murky water. It couldn't be worse. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

It's all just too much. 

Surely they won't be alive now. 

It's so cold tonight. 

Almost no oxygen in the air, not the right clothes, no food and no clean drinking water. So what would their chances be if they're still alive? 

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

There were several shortcomings in the evacuation drill conducted at the Tham Luang cave site this morning which need to be fixed, Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said after an assessment of the exercise.

The drill simulated a situation of evacuation starting from the survivors being brought out of the cave, taken onto ambulances, screened of their conditions and delivery to waiting helicopters.

The conditions of the survivors are classified into 13 levels with the first 1-12 levels being classified as normal and the 13th as “red” which requires utmost attention.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/drill-exposes-shortcomings-need-fixed-governor/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

and that is the easy bit. 
get non contributing people out, and let pro's sit together, divide the work, and set up a coordination center that allocates searches and other explorations to teams suitably trained for that particular work.
not rocket science is it.

Hope they get out before long, without lights or supplies it will be very difficult to keep spirits up.
in any case, hope there are compulsory silent periods for rescuers to listen for signs of life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Almost no oxygen in the air, not the right clothes, no food and no clean drinking water. So what would their chances be if they're still alive? 

Slim to nothing. 

What if they are not at pattaya beach? 

Then what? 

• Like 1

Navy SEAL moves closer to target area

Dg7D0wRU0AA1H8J.jpg

As the search for the 12 young football players and their coach trapped in Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai enters the second week today, a SEAL unit of the Royal Thai Navy has reached a spot inside the cave closer to where they are believed to be taking refuge.

A report on the Thai Navy SEAL webpage said the unit arrived late this morning at an area known as the 3rd chamber, which is about 2.5 kilometres from the so-called Pattaya Beach where the 13 people are being stranded. It’s the second time that a rescue team is back on the spot.

Earlier on June 25, the first SEAL team arrived at the 3rd chamber where footprints of the footballers were found. But at the time, the chamber was five metres under water. It is believed that the 13 had moved deeper inside the cave. On that day, the team suspended their search because of high level of water in the chamber.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-seal-moves-closer-target-area/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hope we hear his explanation soon why he did that.. I seriously doubt any parents have given permission for that.. Normally there needs to be more adults on a group outing with minors..

Looking at the "speed" the rescuers are moving, it's almost impossible that the poor souls could get away from the steadily rising water levels. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Slim to nothing. 

What if they are not at pattaya beach? 

Then what? 

Then they'll have to find out where the water goes into and search for dead bodies. Too much time was used for unnecessary things, for example, their parents calling them to come home, thinking that they might not want to leave?

Only to have something to show on TV? I feel so sorry for these kids. 

More positive developments in rescue mission

30-Jun-18-5-59-04-PM.png

More positive developments have been reported today in the on-going mission to rescue the 12 young footballers and their coach from the flooded Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn confirmed that the rainwater that has been flooding the cave gradually receded today as more water pumps were brought in to drain out the water. Thai PBS news team reported that a 1,500-metre-long water chute was successfully installed this afternoon to help quicken water drainage.

In another positive development, the Navy SEAL team made it back to an area known as Chamber 3 again today, bringing it closer to the so-called Pattaya Beach where the 13 missing people are believed to be taking refuge. Another SEAL unit reached the same spot last Monday but had to withdraw because of heavy flooding.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/positive-developments-rescue-mission/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Narongsak-Osotthanakorn.png

thaipbs_logo.jpg

Why waste so much time on something that seems to be the easiest part. Of course only if they are still alive, which seems to be impossible after such a long time under these conditions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Looking at the "speed" the rescuers are moving, it's almost impossible that the poor souls could get away from the steadily rising water levels. 

The rescuers are moving slowly because of the water, the boys were hopefully away from there in front of the water.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

TIT. 

Perhaps he just wanted his day in the limelight and had not yet received it - childish petulance!

I hear that he was stood up by the PM very sharply to the point of being asked why was he here, and it seems the thai social media are giving his idiot a very hard time over his actions. 

Just now, stevenl said:

The rescuers are moving slowly because of the water, the boys were hopefully away from there in front of the water.

How could they run away from the fast-rising water? That's why they couldn't go back and get out at the main entrance. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, madusa said:

After watching the news and reading about this case I come to the conclusion nobody really knows much about this cave. There must be somebody out there who knows how many rivers big and small run in the caves, how many smaller caves exist along the main route leading into the deep end. 

Vern Unsworth does, he was called in last sunday (24th) morning because he is an expert in this cave. Reports now are that he has gone off on his own to look for entrances in the opposite direction of other teams

7 minutes ago, Julie H said:

Vern Unsworth does, he was called in last sunday (24th) morning because he is an expert in this cave. Reports now are that he has gone off on his own to look for entrances in the opposite direction of other teams

He's the UK guy? Who said on thai TV yesterday the next 24hrs is probably the last chance of finding survivors...... 

13 minutes ago, Julie H said:

Why is he going on his own to look for entrances in the opposite direction. Going the opposite direction may be a good idea but on his own(why?) Why is he going on his own? Sounds strange to me.

Just now, madusa said:

Why is he going on his own to look for entrances in the opposite direction. Going the opposite direction may be a good idea but on his own(why?) Why is he going on his own? Sounds strange to me.

Well he has a small 3/4 man crew with him, probably frustrated with all the hoo haa and figured the boys turning right at the fork is a possibility 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

The boys are presumed to be on a ledge about half way into the 10km cave 

Seems unlikely that navy seals couldn't get that far in 5 days whether its flooded or not as they have oxygen lines  tanks and lights etc that the boys didn't have

Have the SEALS reached the kids ? No

What is the reason for that ? The waters in the way 

That is why they are trying to drain the water

• Like 1