Italy shuts out another migrant rescue ship

rooster59

Italy shuts out another migrant rescue ship

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's new government barred a migrant rescue ship from docking at its ports on Friday, in its third such refusal this month, hours after a tense meeting of European leaders over migration ended.

Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli said in a statement he had received a formal request from the interior ministry, headed by far-right leader Matteo Salvini, to deny Spanish charity Proactiva Open Arms entry on the grounds that it was a danger to public order.

In less than a month since taking office, Salvini has spearheaded a new government policy to shut ports to charity ships that pick up migrants from overcrowded smugglers' boats.

The Aquarius, carrying 630 migrants, and Lifeline, carrying some 230 people, ended up in Spain and Malta respectively when Italy closed its ports to them earlier this month. The Open Arms vessel has no migrants on board.

An Open Arms spokesman had no immediate comment.

European Union leaders on Friday came to a hard-fought agreement over migration that Salvini and Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said was positive for Italy. However, the agreement does not oblige other EU states to share the burden of sea rescues. [L8N1TV3XR]

More than 650,000 migrants have come ashore in Italy since 2014, mostly after being rescued at sea off the Libyan coast by private and public groups. Italy is sheltering about 170,000, but the number of arrivals has plummeted this year.

From Libya, the main departure point, they have fallen more than 80 percent. Deaths at sea are estimated by the United Nations at nearly 1,000 so far this year.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-30
  • Like 2

Just now, otherstuff1957 said:

While I usually have left-wing/progressive viewpoints, I can't help but feel that these 'rescue' ships are thinly disguised human traffickers.

They frequently turn off their ais transponders and are untraceable for days at a time.  When they turn their transponders back on, they are in international waters with loads of refugees!

I don't disbelieve you, but evidence would be appreciated for these assertions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Not exactly true as far as I am concerned. If rescue ships are actually turning off transponders so they

can pick up migrants in Lybian territorial waters and not international waters what is to stop them from

docking at Lybian ports and making everything safer. No feet ever get wet, smugglers can maximize profits.

I don't think the smuggler boats even have outboards anymore. They are just towed out a couple of miles

and they then call/radio "rescue" ships for "Uber Boat" pickup. If the ships are turning off AIS the captains and

crew should be charged with people smuggling. I am sure they have a professional crew paid by charity groups.

That would make them paid people smugglers.

That crossed my mind too. But hey that will bring out the nasty people here that will attack so I stayed away from that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Not exactly true as far as I am concerned. If rescue ships are actually turning off transponders so they

can pick up migrants in Lybian territorial waters and not international waters what is to stop them from

docking at Lybian ports and making everything safer. No feet ever get wet, smugglers can maximize profits.

I don't think the smuggler boats even have outboards anymore. They are just towed out a couple of miles

and they then call/radio "rescue" ships for "Uber Boat" pickup. If the ships are turning off AIS the captains and

crew should be charged with people smuggling. I am sure they have a professional crew paid by charity groups.

That would make them paid people smugglers.

yes it maybe the case, even only 3 feet after the Lybian territorial waters line, which is precisely the package sold for the trip by the smugglers, also the reason why the rubber boats are overbooked  

17 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Gee I did not know I had presented an arqument please fill me in on what my arqument was.

From your spelling, seems English is not your first language; to assist your comprehension...

argument - a reason or set of reasons given in support of an idea, action or theory

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Thanks for that always good to fully understand what others mean

So now can you fill me in on what my arqument was I still do not get it

This is what I posted please pick it apart and explain please so I understand the arqument part

think we will   agree with the article that states  the ships pick up migrants from smuggler ships. It is irrelevant if the ship's ais transponders are on or off. Even if the transponder was on it would make no difference I am sure the smuggler boat moves  undetected.,so who knows when  or where they exchange cargo. The cargo is still trafficked humans. 

So what we have is migrants (illegal migrants) are ferried from land to these rescue boats which deliver the cargo as humanitarians. Italy is wise to this and has put a stop to it good for them.

Why you believe the Italian Navy has stopped 'migrants' travelling by sea I do not understand as hundreds are found at sea every week. BTW currently 40% are eventually assessed as genuine refugees.

Your reasoning (argument) was that NGO vessels are solely picking up asylum seekers from traffickers which is proven to be incorrect as Italian Navy, among other nation vessels rescue those at sea and transfer to NGO shipping. Secondly why you assume illegal vessels can move undetected by Libyan Coast Guard and other naval shipping is rather odd given...

http://www.france24.com/en/20180625-libyan-coastguard-picks-nearly-1000-migrants-one-day

Libya has a truly awful reputation of mistreatment for those held in detention, those forcibly returned to Libya will likely face many horrors e.g.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/get-involved/take-action/urgent-stop-selling-and-detention-of-refugees-and-migrants-in-libya/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Now I see were you found the arquement in my post.

You made it up.

Read again please I never once mentioned the navy so where you got that is really weird and incorrect. So first arquement is wrong no arquement form me just your imaginations running wild

Second mistake by you. I never said NGO vessels were solely picking up asylum seekers. Why do you lie so much

The reason I believe ships can navigate undetected is because they can sorry.. 

Within your original post on these matters you made no attempt whatsoever to qualify your comments. No further response as a complete waste of time getting you to acknowledge facts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nkg said:

Feigning misunderstanding is disingenuous, as well you know. You were attempting to dismiss his point by attacking his literacy. I called you out on it. Making fun of people's language skills is beneath you.

Feigning misunderstanding is disingenuous - agree, but wanted to see how he would respond to my providing a definition. Your accusation is incorrect.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nkg said:

Don't be silly. Anywhere on the internet, "English is not your first language", followed by something copy and pasted from a dictionary website, is an insult. Nobody believes your assertation that you were trying to be helpful by providing the definition of a word.

I'm sure that you have reported my posts to the moderators, who will quickly take them down. But it is your post that deserves to be removed.

I have honestly replied, but you will not accept, so...

Nope, but highly likely a Mod will remove the dialogue as they have with other personalised attack comments within this topic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Feigning misunderstanding is disingenuous - agree, but wanted to see how he would respond to my providing a definition. Your accusation is incorrect.

And you would no doubt agree that he responded in a fair and reasonable manner.

Look, I like your posts. They are usually fair, reasonable and logical. They often provide a good alternative viewpoint. I just thought that your standards had slipped a little here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1