Visa Requirements (earnings) For Retirees

:D

HI ALL

i got this information off a website

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/expatnews3.htm

Thailand

Initially you must apply for a nonimmigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand. Requirements: 1/. Application form T.M.72/. Copy of passport or substitute document. 3/. One 4 x 6 cm photo. 4/. 500 baht fee. 5/. Proof of financial status or pension. :oIf the applicant is 60 years or older, the alien must have a definite income of not less than 200,000 baht per year or not less than 20,000 baht per month. For an applicant who is over 55 years old, proof of income of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented. [NB.. THE OLD LAW WAS YOU HAD TO HAVE BOTH ).

Can anybody verify? I am over 60 so I am hoping it applies to me

Thanks

Wally

Edited by wally1k

To get a 1 year extension based on retirement in Thailand of an O visa, you need 800K baht in the following ways:

In a Thai bank account (and the money must be there for 3 months before application for extension)

OR

In a provable pension (get an official letter from your embassy letter)

OR

A combination of the above, totaling over 800K baht

Edited by Jingthing

Those are the old requirements from many years ago. Current requirements are over age 50 and non immigrant visa (can be changed from tourist or even entry without visa at 2,000 baht). Pension/income of 65k baht per month with Embassy letter and supporting documents. 800k baht in Thai bank account for 3 months or a combination of the two.

Another option is the non immigrant O-A visa issued in your country of residence that allows a one year stay on entry. Requirement is as above for 800k but can be in your home country bank plus police clearance and medical certificate.

I have read and understand that if I have 800,000baht in a bank I can retire in Thailand, I think I am correct in saying that this money has to stay in the bank and will be checked on occasion.

My question is, do the Thai government need to see if I have some kind of income and is there any (Obviously legal) :o way of making some money to make my small pension a little healthier.

Also in the fullness of time I will want to marry my Thai girlfriend, will this change the 800,000bhat requirement to 400,000baht or am I hoping for to much :D

I have read and understand that if I have 800,000baht in a bank I can retire in Thailand, I think I am correct in saying that this money has to stay in the bank and will be checked on occasion.

My question is, do the Thai government need to see if I have some kind of income and is there any (Obviously legal) :o way of making some money to make my small pension a little healthier.

Also in the fullness of time I will want to marry my Thai girlfriend, will this change the 800,000bhat requirement to 400,000baht or am I hoping for to much :D

You are hoping for too much.

If you marry you will need a family income of 40,000 Baht a month. This can be yours , hers or a combination of both.

You are hoping for too much.

If you marry you will need a family income of 40,000 Baht a month. This can be yours , hers or a combination of both.

I wonder,if you are over 50 and married you still need 40k a month.(iam far from over 50,just thinking for the future)If you are married for say 30 years,and over 50(or say 65),would be a bit harsh or not,you are not suppose to need many income do you??

if it does I should be hard thinking to how to manage that in the late future,proberly double that money in that time(if I still have some life in me left).

I'm happy to say that you are incorrect. The money has to be in your account three months prior to your application for extension, but once it has been approved you are free to start spending your money.

Sophon

1. As said - if you used the bank option of 800k it needs to have a record in bank for 3 months prior to application. Once you receive extension of stay you can use the money as you wish - remembering that next year you have to meet the same requirement.

2. No discounts for marriage - if you use retirement it is 800k/65k regardless.

3. You need a work permit to work. Not normally available on a retirement extension of stay.

4. With marriage you could change extension to that type with family income of 40k per month.

This is my first post here ... so a big hello to all :o

In my case, I am 58 years old and living in the Philippines. I want to move to Thailand and get the Retirement Visa very soon. In fact, in about 3 weeks my Filipina girlfriend and myself are taking a 30 day vacation to Pattaya.

I see that I need a pension of 65,000 baht per month in order to [not] have to deposit money in a Thai bank. My Gross US Government pension is slightly more than 65,000 baht before taxes and health insurance are taken out ... but after taxes and insurance, the Net amount acually paid to me every month is only about 59,000 baht.

1. I wonder if they use the Gross or Net amount to figure out if you meet the 65,000 baht requirement or not?

2. If they use the Net amount [after taxes and insurance are deducted] I wonder how much money I would have to put into a Thai bank account in my name to make up the difference?

3. Would that small amount of money still have to stay in the bank for 3 months before I can apply for the Retirement Visa?

4. When I come to Thailand on my 30 day tourist visa, can I then pay for and get a Non-Imigrant O Visa within those 30 days while in Thailand?

(Someone said I need the O visa prior to even applying for a Retirement Visa)

5. Once I get the Non-Imigrant O Visa, will that give me enough time to wait the 3 months the money has to stay in my bank account in Thailand and give me enough time to acually get the Retirement Visa?

Thank's

Ron

1. Gross amount - but be advised the rate used will not be the current bank rate. Believe it was 36 but with recent increase of baht value expect it may be less currently.

2. You are expected to have a bank account in any case. The amount would have to make up for any shortfall between the required 65k per month and your per month figure x 12.

3. That is not clear - I expect the more money in excess the less chance it would be questioned. But for using 800k only it is a firm requirement to have 3 month record.

4. You must have a non immigrant visa to extend your stay for retirement. There is no 30 day tourist visa for Americans so you must intend to arrive without visa and obtain 30 day visa exempt stamp. Normally that was not coverable in country but in last year immigration has been willing to provide a single 90 day stay non immigrant visa conversion for 2,000 baht if you apply with 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp and meet the requirements for retirement extension of stay.

5. The visa would provide 90 days stay. It would be better to obtain a tourist visa from Thai Embassy which allows you a 60 day stay on arrival - then use conversion from that visa stay. That would provide the extra time. But you probably will not need this in any case as your pension should be enough. You have to obtain letter from US Embassy listing your pension amount (you fill in amount on form letter and sign) and when you visit immigration take that, bank letter and passbook, and retirement statement of earning in the event they wish to check that.

To get a 1 year extension based on retirement in Thailand of an O visa, you need 800K baht in the following ways:

In a provable pension (get an official letter from your embassy letter)

Is this still accurate. When I try to get Retirement VISA in Nong Khai they want to see that I have deposits coming into my Thai Bank every month and I must provide a letter from the Bank indicating balance and deposit history for the last year.

I am getting mixed signals on this subject and am wondering if I go to another office rather than Nong Khai if I will be able to use the proof of income from embassy, which is more than adequate to meet the 800 kbaht threshold. Or is the Bangkok immigration going to insist on proof that I am bringing the money into Thailand every month?

Thanks for any validations you can give me of locations to renew my VISA (due March 6)

I am with lopburi3's opinion, as usual, he has yet to be wrong since I have been monitoring him in the past five years.

We must be careful not to misinterpret what the immigration officer is looking for in your documents. I have been of the opinion for some time that one of the main issues with immigration regarding retirees is that they not work and earn income in Thailand.

Thus, they always scan my bank book, whether when I went the 800K Baht route or now with a pension + bank account.

I have interpreted this to mean they were interested in seeing me spend the money I have in Thailand. If my deposit book showed no activity, clearly they would want to know what I was living on.

There is a personal interview involved and they may ask the question there is an oblique way.

I have yet to get an extention without photocopies of many pages of my bank book, their interest in copying multiple pages suggests to me they are interested in more than my current balance.

Edited by ProThaiExpat