Breaking your condo rental agreement

Unfortunately, After nearly 4 years here, I need to break my Rental agreement.I need to return back to the UK for various reasons and will be breaking my agreement.I know I will be losing my deposit of 20000THB and thats fine.But I want to know if they will try to charge me for any damages.I have taken care of the place but the sofa and tiny table are damaged.I have seen them in index and the soafa was 8000THB and the table was 500THB.The sofa dips in the middle they did fix it for me once but it only lasted about 2 weeks.So will they try to charge me more?

And when should I tell them? I am worried that if I tell them now they might say well if you are breaking it then leave now.

I would like to give them as much notice as possible but I am worried about the above.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Look in your rental contract about 'canceling the agreement', it should normally be done 1-3 months in advance. If you do that, you should get your deposit back. You should not pay for 'normal wear and tear'.

• Like 1

Ok I will

But I did ask her a while back what would happen if I go home and she said I would lose it.

Look in your rental contract about 'canceling the agreement', it should normally be done 1-3 months in advance. If you do that, you should get your deposit back. You should not pay for 'normal wear and tear'.

on the day you leave, message them you are leaving

so they wont be wasting time waiting on you.

the 20k deposit will cover whatever they are up against,

try not to break things as you move out

I thought that but tha that's is a little bit rude.And I might even want to rent the place again in about a years time or possibly even buy it.I recken the best thing to do is tell them about a week before I go.

try not to break things as you move out

• Haha 1

Legally i don't know but....if you get on ok with the landlord explain you need to go home and may be back to rent again, so a carrot really for her to be a good landlord. Give notice. If she throws you out just get a cheap place for the remaining time. After the initial 1 year agreement i would try to avoid being pinned down for further 1 year+ agreements.

My guesthouse landlady has allowed me to keep the room while I'm away for 6 weeks with no rent. A good landlady, win win for both of us when i return shortly

A "decent" landlord would  charge you nothing for this as youve been in there 4 years.........unfortunately some are extremely "tight" gits.

Wife deals with this daily as its her job for the last 10 years+

Some owners   are overly nice and will not complain about anything the tenant requests, others the total  opposite, slightest damage and they want thousands.

Edited by kannot

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Legally i don't know but....if you get on ok with the landlord explain you need to go home and may be back to rent again, so a carrot really for her to be a good landlord. Give notice. If she throws you out just get a cheap place for the remaining time. After the initial 1 year agreement i would try to avoid being pinned down for further 1 year+ agreements.

My guesthouse landlady has allowed me to keep the room while I'm away for 6 weeks with no rent. A good landlady, win win for both of us when i return shortly

all our tenants after 1  year move to a month by month contract

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The landlord can (probably) not just "throw out" the tenant. There should be a termination clause for the landlord with (hopefully) the same length as for the tenant.

And, the tenant is not breaking the agreement the day giving notice. The "break" happens on the day the rent is not paid on time. So the landlord has no legal right to act just because a notice is given. 

All contracts that i had in Thailand and that i have heard of were so that after the inital period (12 months, 6 months, whatever) it was on a month to month basis. Your contract is probably also like this, so you can legally move out next month if you give notice now and you should also get your deposit back

On 6/30/2018 at 10:11 PM, Vacuum said:

correct- after 4 yrs there must be some 'wear and tear'... replacing or up dating is the owners  responsibility.

i think there any many devious landlords in thailand, that dont ever want to refund the bond...

in that situation, it is probably  better to give no notice. you may be able to use up some of the bond as rent arrears, then just dissappear....not  nice, but  in lawless situations, you need to look after 'number one'...

• Thanks 1

Read your contract and simply comply with the details specified, as signed by yourself.

Before you advise early termination you could notify the landlord and ask them to make certain repairs, for which they may charge depending on the clauses in your contract. If they pay for it then they may make the repairs or replacements for the least cost to them, and why shouldn't they...it's their investment. However, once fixed then they cannot deduct those specific costs from your deposit when you terminate.

Assuming you have a typical contract, any other repair costs can be determined and repaired via the specified advance inspection before termination date, and will be deducted from your deposit...which is its' purpose. At least there is a limit to the amount. Again...simply conform to agreement in the signed contract.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, poanoi said:

A really bad guy attitude :crying:

You signed a contract, just respect it !

And no, many cases where 20k wouldn't be enough,

like this recent "tenant from hell" story related on TV:

p1-horz.jpg.48cb533e9f741b51c516cbcf9a69

13 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

A really bad guy attitude :crying:

You signed a contract, just respect it !

And no, many cases where 20k wouldn't be enough,

like this recent "tenant from hell" story related on TV:

p1-horz.jpg.48cb533e9f741b51c516cbcf9a69

errr, no, that mess is so rare so it goes on television if and when

it ever happen.

and as for the contract, -he has to go back,

it is well known the landlords here are thieves and he wont even be

able to castrate the landlord for breach of contract

since he will be in UK when the landlord short changes him

1 hour ago, jkcjag said:

they may make the repairs or replacements for the least cost to them, and why shouldn't they...it's their investment

It's unfortunately not uncommon that they try to "extort" the payment from gullible tenants.

1 hour ago, jkcjag said:

once fixed then they cannot deduct those specific costs from your deposit when you terminate

Correct, this is actually a smart move.