What's Wrong With My Neighbours?

Tony Clifton

Here's your average home in our moo ban. Neat and clean looking colour scheme.

gallery_16522_431_40506.jpg

Now, one of the neighbours decided to repaint his house, not yet a year after moving in. One thin coat, quickly smeared, you can see through it. :D Notice the luxurious red bull awning to block out the sun on the right. :D

gallery_16522_431_41377.jpg

Probably jealous of the previous guy's artistic talents, this second genius went nuts with a can of spray paint, I kid you not. :D

So much for increasing the value of houses in the neighbourhood. :o

gallery_16522_431_158184.jpg

Any masterpieces like these in your area?

Edited by Tony Clifton

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Near our house is a fairly nice housing estate, one of the Garden Home group. Nice houses, big lots, etc., but there are some in there that are painted weird colors like pink, etc. Also architecture that just doesn't fit in. I always remember a house I saw in Penang many years ago. Right in the middle of a neighorhood of just delightful old colonial homes someone had put up a concrete slab buidling of about 3 stories with round and square windows, painted in about 6 different colors...Some Chinese merchant's idea of a dream house?

They probably look at your house and think its boring, if your a snob buy some more land and a bigger house and you wont have to deal with neighbours. At the end of the day, they can affor to buy exactly the same house as you and decorate it as they see fit.

Back home I hate the neighborhood organizations because they seem to regulate the smallest details in the neighborhood. But this is a good example of why neighborhood organizations are a good idea. The neighbors should be mad because these houses lower the value of the other houses in the neighborhood. The colored houses are an eye sore and people don't want to buy property near eye sores.

Back home I hate the neighborhood organizations because they seem to regulate the smallest details in the neighborhood. But this is a good example of why neighborhood organizations are a good idea. The neighbors should be mad because these houses lower the value of the other houses in the neighborhood. The colored houses are an eye sore and people don't want to buy property near eye sores.

Sure it would turn off farangs, but I am not so sure about Thais. I doubt many care that much. If they were worried about such things they would have established and enforced zoning laws a long time ago. Same with noise. People told me that when Don Muang closed our house value would skyrocket because it was under the former flight path. No way. Not an issue for most Thais. I even had neighbors telling me how they missed the noise! Houses generally aren't bought and sold with the frequency that they are back home too.

My main concern here where we live would not be the appearance of a neighbors house. I would worry more about them opening a shop, bar, restaurant, or garage, etc., stuff that is difficult to ignore. If it is just an ugly paint job I can choose not to look at it.

here's a theory....the guy with the orange day-glo front fence is trying to prevent a drunken driver from ending up in his front yard. Plausible ?

Mia noi revenge?

The first house in OP's photo session is ugly. The colured ones are wonderful! ... Just my opinion.

You related to this guy?

van_gogh.jpg

gallery_16522_431_41377.jpg

So much for increasing the value of houses in the neighbourhood. :D

That's not a piece of carpet on your dashboard, is it? :o

:D

If your neighbours are Chinese Thai, they might be following a feng shui master's recommendation to paint their house a certain colour to bring luck. If so, they might repaint with a different colour every year, so it might be fuschia and lime green in 2008.

The chap with the pink wall liked your pink watch strap and copied you Tony :D

I sincerely hope you're not moving around here. That wall is fluorescent red and that's an orange "Long Live The King" bracelet. :o

Notice that he went nuts spraying the street sign post as well. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

The chap with the pink wall liked your pink watch strap and copied you Tony :D

I sincerely hope you're not moving around here. That wall is fluorescent red and that's an orange "Long Live The King" bracelet. :o

Notice that he went nuts spraying the street sign post as well. :D

In that same moo baan some twit has a bottle green boat hanging in his driveway :D:D:bah:

Seems a lot of posters misunderstood the issue. The main problem is such eyesores lower the value of all property in the area, never mind it looks awful. This is the reason most communities have rules against such colors. If you don't like such rules move somewhere outside a community or into one without rules.

Seems a lot of posters misunderstood the issue. The main problem is such eyesores lower the value of all property in the area, never mind it looks awful. This is the reason most communities have rules against such colors. If you don't like such rules move somewhere outside a community or into one without rules.

You should be sly always thinking of money. You come to Thailand with your ideas of money.

He should be lucky he has a house never less caring the color of the next house.

my neighbour has painted his WHOLE house that fluro green! i actually think they did it because the chinese god told them to. they also have these little ceremonies every now and then where one person 'hosts' the spirit and then makes noises like an ape. i find the whole thing fascinating. but that green house is sure hard to take at times.

i think it glows in the dark. it makes it easy for me to give directions to my place though!

i will take a snap over the weekend and put it up here.

a farang's version of what makes the neigbhorhood trashy is not a thai's version; and u are living in thailand.

what's wrong with colours. i personally hate my neighbhorhood choice of sand colours. we live in a desert as it is, why does my house have to have that same buff non colour. so......inside, its blue yellow and apricot in differnet rooms with an arab blue door (the colour that most arabic houses use on their doors/window sills).

its a matter of cultural differences. if u want a staid british housing settlement than go live in england.

:o Reminds me of the lyrics of that 'social comment' song of Pete Seeger years ago..."Little boxes. little boxes, there's a white one and a white one and a white one and a white one, and they all live in..." Bring on some color to the neighborhood...have seen some of those housing estates where they all look exacltly the same little dolls houses, boringggg...but who am I to criticise, I live in a Condominimal...just concrete boxes only tall...but aint complaining with two bathrooms, two bedroms, a kitchen with an oven and a pool outside the door, for 18 000 baht a month in Yanawa... :D Dukkha

Way up north in the sticks there are now houses in the most obscene colours...purple, orange, dandelion yellow, orange, flouro green, shitty brown, and in combinations thereof.

We liked it so much our kitchen is now the most vile mix of prime colours...I love it :o

Prime is not the right word but u know wot I mean

Edited by OneeyedJohn