Driving To Laos

Dunno about where in Nong Khai, but, if you head to the local department of land transport office, a purple 'car passport' is available for 55 baht, so you can take your car into laos.

I've got one and it took one day to process. You just need a copy of your PP, ownership papers (blue book) and thats about it I think. Maybe a letter certifying where you live.

Not exactly answering your question, but a good way to keep your car with you.

I need to make a visa run to Laos, and will be going to the capital. I will be driving my car and leaving it in Thailand, near the border.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any secure places to leave ones vehicle?

Thanks

No detailed info, but some ideas are:

1. Stay one night in or around Nong Khai and then make an arrangement to leave your car in the hotel lot for a couple of days.

2. Ask a local cop station if you can park your car in their lot for a small fee.

3. Same as no. 2, but try a temple that looks well-tended.

I need to make a visa run to Laos, and will be going to the capital. I will be driving my car and leaving it in Thailand, near the border.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any secure places to leave ones vehicle?

Thanks

I've driven up to Nong Khai often.  If I'm going on to Vientiane for just a couple of days, I leave my car in the secure parking right there at the "bus/van" station where you pay your baht 10 for a ride across the bridge.  This secure parking is in a cyclone fenced area with the cars further caged up.  Costs baht 100/day which I think is reasonable enough.

FYI, on crossing the bridge, if you're in a hurry, or have several people accompanying, you can get a van to yourself leaving immediately for baht 160, at least that was the price last time I did it.  Pay at the same window as the regular folks waiting for the next van/bus to go.

FYI II, last trip I just flew Air Asia up and back to Udorn, got a 4-door pickup from Udorn to the bridge, baht 1,000 (had a couple more people with me, didn't want to wait for the van).  On return got a van on the Lao side at Thannaleng (Lao Immigration) all the way back to Udorn airport, same, baht 1,000.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...
Dunno about where in Nong Khai, but, if you head to the local department of land transport office, a purple 'car passport' is available for 55 baht, so you can take your car into laos.

I've got one and it took one day to process. You just need a copy of your PP, ownership papers (blue book) and thats about it I think. Maybe a letter certifying where you live.

this begs the question...can the same be done in Mukdahan to enter Laos at Savannakhet?

this begs the question...can the same be done in Mukdahan to enter Laos at Savannakhet?

If there is a Dept of Land transport office there where you register cars, I'm guessing it could be done, especially as it is near the border and there is demand for such things.

You'll need one of these, and as far as I can tell you can come and go as you please across any border point for the validity of the document.

post-441-1171291495_thumb.jpg

If there is a Dept of Land transport office there where you register cars, I'm guessing it could be done, especially as it is near the border and there is demand for such things.

You'll need one of these, and as far as I can tell you can come and go as you please across any border point for the validity of the document.

I'm wonderin' does the issuing Dept of Land Transport office need to be local to the border crossing? Every province in Thailand has one as that is where you need to go to register yer recently purchased used vehicle. I'll have de wife check it out here in Suphanburi...anyone know about Laos insurance requirements?

thanks

I'm wonderin' does the issuing Dept of Land Transport office need to be local to the border crossing? Every province in Thailand has one as that is where you need to go to register yer recently purchased used vehicle. I'll have de wife check it out here in Suphanburi...anyone know about Laos insurance requirements?

thanks

In my experience no. I got mine at Mor Chit in BKK, at the big Dept of Land Transport building there, so not really close or local to any border. I was told it was good for any crossing in and out of Laos. But, the book I posted is apparently only good for Loas. I asked about going to Cambodia and they said that Thailand doesn't have an agreement with them so cars can't cross, and for Malaysia I got issued a seperate letter which has my number plates romanised.

As for insurance, I beleive from searching the net of peoples experiences, that there will always be a Lao insurance company just after immigration which sells compulsory third party insurance.

thanks

In my experience no. I got mine at Mor Chit in BKK, at the big Dept of Land Transport building there, so not really close or local to any border. I was told it was good for any crossing in and out of Laos. But, the book I posted is apparently only good for Loas. I asked about going to Cambodia and they said that Thailand doesn't have an agreement with them so cars can't cross, and for Malaysia I got issued a seperate letter which has my number plates romanised.

As for insurance, I beleive from searching the net of peoples experiences, that there will always be a Lao insurance company just after immigration which sells compulsory third party insurance.

that sounds cool so long as the rate is not extortionate...we would only want to do bridge - consulate - hotel - consulate - bridge. This trip is purely business so that any sightseeing is out ob de question. Not that I would mind under different circumstances as I unnerstand Laos is a delightful place. Up here in Suphan they may not have ever heard of the purple book so maybe a trip to the Mor Chit office is in order. We bought our used minivan in BKK and it had to be released by the BKK transport office so's that the bro-in-law is probly already familiar wid de place...

thanks samran...

• 3 weeks later...

I drive to Laos often,the last time I paid about 60000 Kip Insurance for 1 week.

Didn't do at the Border,long wait and overpriced,but at office in front of the Morning Market.

Remember,if you want to drive outside Vientiane you have to tell them at the Border and pay a little more.(Don't remember how much).

Have a good trip!

Not sure for Laos, but I have taken my car into Cambodia.

All I needed was the blue registration book in my own name.

Tell immigration you are taking the car, they will record the fact.

Cross the road to the Customs office and record with them that you are taking the car out, important so you can re-import it.

Cross the border, remembering to drive on the WRONG side of the road.

Get your visa.

Pay a small fee per day to take the car in.

Total time 30 mins max.