METV Question for US citizens

For those of you that have got a METV in the US, preferably through NYC consulate, have you ever had them call your employer to verify that you work at the company in your employment verification letter? 

For those of you who are self employed can you tell me exactly what would be needed when applying for the METV in the US? I have heard self assessment (no idea what this is) and tax return or business registration. I technically have filed a schedule C in addition to a W2 for many years but the income on the schedule C was very little or even a loss at times. 

I just got an METV in NY but I am retired. My pension organization provides a letter confirming my monthly income. NY consulate was satisfied with that. They are pretty easy going there as long as you give them some documentation they can make sense of that can confirm income you should be ok. If you have been filing tax returns claiming losses every year I could understand why Thailand would not want you here though. I would bring bank statements for several months for your business account and business cards etc showing you own a business and earn money on the up and up. Best tip for NY consulate is give them a prepaid priority mail envelope if you are from outside the city. They will mail your passport back to you.