30,000 baht Farang

NoHabla

i am now finally 50 so i'm on retirement visa.

if i could fly to caribbean, i would settle on an island belonging to holland or france for the purpose of EU citizenship, i figure the 40-50k baht i've been losing

on visa runs per year will make up any difference of cost in caribbean.

yes, i liked the thai food for many years, but on latest songkran

when i ordered food and locked myself in waiting for the retards to clear the streets, i got bored to death of rice, i havnt eaten rice since.

ok, so you are hellbent on having a gf,

i think it was grossly overrated and in my final verdict

there was only one girl i didnt regret having had sex with.

i truly think you are better off skipping out on them,

and i think your idea of moving here is not about rational economy,

its about hoping for a romance

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have high hopes on this girl I am talking to now.  We are going to spend a few weeks in Hua Hin together, and we are going to see her grandmother in Rayong.  Its refreshing to go out with someone normal for a change.  All of my previous girlfriends have been bar girls who have pulled on my heart strings.  I falsely believed that they had truly changed and had feelings for me.  One woman in particular asked me for 500,000 baht in sinsod - I told her politely that 500,000 baht and I could build myself a nice house in a Northern Province!  Its not my first rodeo in Thailand - do not take me for a fool, sweetheart!  I don't have anything to do with bar girls anymore, or these fair skinned higher class girls in Bangkok.  Dark girls that speak a tiny bit of English, with working class background, are my preference now.  Its opening up new doors to me.  I have shied away from the whole internet dating scene for years, but now I am meeting some quality, real people.  Just showing up and going to shopping malls and bars - that reduced my pickings as far as dates go to bar girls and the fair-skinned high class girls.  I seem to have a real chance with this girl, I just wish I could be in Thailand sooner.  I just got back three weeks ago and I am in the middle of some complex legal work, so I can't race back, unfortunately.  But with her working as a maid and straddled with a kid in her 30s, I am sure she will still be available when I go back.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:47 AM, NoHabla said:

Where is this law?  Show it to me.  I've never heard of that before.  Foreigners married to Thai citizens can get a Thai ID.  Unless Thailand is restricting who foreigners can marry.

The Thai ID you refer, it's only a Pink ID card, which not have the full advantages of a real Thai ID. For example the most important thing which is missing is the full acknowledge and the electric ID which is on the real Thai ID. But still it give a few advantages and I hope in future will give more.

You told you are just mid 30's and in the main post you write, that you tried to learn Thai for 15 years (starting with 20 years)… I think with 20 years it should be possible if you really try with a school. And not only try to speak with bargirls. Even with 35 it's not too late to start learning. But as I already wrote in a real language school.

About girls? Hmmmm, I have a few of Thai female friends, which have no problem with a guy earning 30'000 baht and have a disability. But what is more important for them is your kindness and how you behave. I already saw 1-2 foreigners which told they are so nice, but when I see them behave in public with their girlfriends I know why they have problem to find a decent girl.

Another point, is you told it would be easy to save up the 400'000 baht with an income of only 30'000 baht, which I think is not that easy, but yes it's possible.. for marriage it's not allowed to use combined Income. this is only available for retirement extensions, and this is too far away anyway.

Conclusion, I think everything is doable. The biggest Issue for you will be the money for your yearly extension (in case you will marry). Only take time... I always say you not have to search for a girl… you have to find them ?

On 7/6/2018 at 12:47 AM, NoHabla said:

Where is this law?  Show it to me.  I've never heard of that before.  Foreigners married to Thai citizens can get a Thai ID.  Unless Thailand is restricting who foreigners can marry.

i am not even going to read the rest of this thread.  Go do your homework...you obviously do not have a clue.

NoHabla  ?   in thai we say   Mai ru ruang

I think you should stop thinking about woman right now and figure out how to stay here without visa runs and financially still doing well. 30k baht is more than enough in Rayong but if factor in 30% medical fee and visa runs, I highly doubt it. 

You kept thinking of getting a woman that could accept your condition before getting the big step done which is to stay here legally. You can work as a part time nursery English teacher for sh*t wagers which you don't need and in turn received a work permit from the school. I think english teacher in rayong are paid 25~35k a month(I don't know, just guessing). Offer yourself for 10k a month but work as part time like 3 half days a week and offer yourself to bare the tax. After tax you should get almost nothing but no more visa runs and expensive ED visa etc. 

After securing your stay, get an apartment range from 2.5~4k a month which is really comfortable and avoid those condo with swimming pool which can cost up to 10k. Buy a used scoopyi and you are all set. After lodging and transportation(petrol) you still have 24k a month. Cut down on farang food and bar trips and I don't see why you can't have a happy life in Thailand. Don't rush in on woman, come here and choose your poison. It's a jungle out here. Many woman will kill for 24k a month man. 30k is definitely not a death sentence. 24 hr a day be it that you are sleeping, eating, pooping, this 30k is gonna come in every month for the rest of your life. Make it to your advantage. 

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

The Thai ID you refer, it's only a Pink ID card, which not have the full advantages of a real Thai ID. For example the most important thing which is missing is the full acknowledge and the electric ID which is on the real Thai ID. But still it give a few advantages and I hope in future will give more.

You told you are just mid 30's and in the main post you write, that you tried to learn Thai for 15 years (starting with 20 years)… I think with 20 years it should be possible if you really try with a school. And not only try to speak with bargirls. Even with 35 it's not too late to start learning. But as I already wrote in a real language school.

About girls? Hmmmm, I have a few of Thai female friends, which have no problem with a guy earning 30'000 baht and have a disability. But what is more important for them is your kindness and how you behave. I already saw 1-2 foreigners which told they are so nice, but when I see them behave in public with their girlfriends I know why they have problem to find a decent girl.

Another point, is you told it would be easy to save up the 400'000 baht with an income of only 30'000 baht, which I think is not that easy, but yes it's possible.. for marriage it's not allowed to use combined Income. this is only available for retirement extensions, and this is too far away anyway.

Conclusion, I think everything is doable. The biggest Issue for you will be the money for your yearly extension (in case you will marry). Only take time... I always say you not have to search for a girl… you have to find them ?

Yeah I've always just done the crappy software, pimsleurs thai, audio lessons online, books, websites, and so forth..  Its not the same as a classroom setting.  However, some people have done BETTER on their own with only audio tape lessons and so forth than in a classroom.  It all depends on the individual, really.  I think I should try out a real language school.  There are some more affordable options in Bangkok thesedays.

Its funny that you mention the guys being at fault for these relationships falling apart.  I can't tell you how many stories I've heard, its actually more frequently the farang's fault the relationship fell apart, rather than the Thai girl's.  Most of my farang friends openly admit they killed the relationship by cheating while in Cambodia or bringing a bar girl back to the condo thinking the front desk staff wouldn't rat them out to their girlfriends. 

Too many come to Thailand thinking they can act and behave the way some Thai men do, with giks and everything, and you really can't, because number one you aren't even Thai.  Also you are immediately suspect to this kind of behaviour because of the way farang act in the bars etc.  Yes there are too many gold digger Thai women but there are also way too many "butterfly" farang men out there who make us all look just as bad.

1 hour ago, timberpond said:

You kept thinking of getting a woman that could accept your condition before getting the big step done which is to stay here legally. You can work as a part time nursery English teacher for sh*t wagers which you don't need and in turn received a work permit from the school. I think english teacher in rayong are paid 25~35k a month(I don't know, just guessing). Offer yourself for 10k a month but work as part time like 3 half days a week and offer yourself to bare the tax. After tax you should get almost nothing but no more visa runs and expensive ED visa etc.

Actually the ED visa opens a door for me that others do not have.  My veteran status does give me some benefits, I will admit.  For instance, if I could find a school that would take my post 9-11 GI bill, such as the gemology school AIGS, in Bangkok, I could potentially go to school free of charge, while earning a basic allowance for housing which is $1700 USD per month, which I can do whatever I want with, since its deposited into my bank account, on top of my normal pension.  So really, initially, if I could just find a school in BKK that would take my benefits, I would "be in," as they say.

on the schools, there is a huge variety of quality of the teachers,

in fact school name means squat but the teacher in question means everything,

so check around if there is anyone speaking good english

and have full command of english grammar,

and ability to explain.

it really does all the difference, i had a good time learning with quality teacher,

but zero interest with low quality teachers.

you are still going to be stuck with visa runs

once every year tho, and that is horribly painful for me at least, so much so that i'd sooner wish i had never come here.

also, like i said, those visa runs costed me 40-50.000 baht every year,

so it drags your income down to a paltry 26.000 baht per month, and that is too tight to live on IMO, cause it really mean you will be stuck sitting in your room 24/7 even if you werent in a world of pain, and theres no net gain

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:25 PM, NoHabla said:

My disability check is only 30,000 baht a month, and I'm American. 

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:25 PM, NoHabla said:

Usually when I meet Thai women who only make 10,000-20,000 baht a month they speak no English

Let's think long and hard about your hypocritical thinking and get back to us when you solve this puzzle.

45 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Let's think long and hard about your hypocritical thinking and get back to us when you solve this puzzle.

Hey man I said right away that I don't speak Thai, learning a second language is hard.  I don't slam Thai people for not knowing english, I understand it.  The only reason English and Spanish are so easy for me is because of where I live and my background and the fact that they are actually very similar languages.  Thai and english are NOTHING LIKE EACH OTHER.  Even remotely!

1 hour ago, timberpond said:

Wow... I'm not from the states so I have not idea what's a 9-11 GI bill but a simple search and the result seem promising. 

https://studyinthailand.org/study-abroad-thailand-university/gi-bill-va-benefits.html

One thing you have to consider is 30k budget in BKK is tight. You might want to consider other province.

Yeah longterm I am looking at Rayong or Esan, totally.  The main drive to Bangkok initially is just because I have farang friends there.  And a potential date.  Also the easy access to several schools.  And that is where the pain management place is that I have been referred to.  I am looking at el cheapo gaffs in Bang Kapi and Chattuchak right now.  I know some places with pools can cost 10k+ but if you look really hard you can still find ones with pools that are within the 6-8k range.  I cannot drink because of my medications so bars are not a concern and when I am in Thailand I only eat street food, literally.  I have been going there for a long time so nothing there is really new to me.  I've just never stayed beyond a few visa runs.  The only thing new to me is staying longer and having an actual visa of some sort.  Yeah the GI bill is a killer deal.  A lot of us with disabilities use it just to have something useful to do with our lives.  There's nothing wrong with nurturing your mind, even if you cannot work.  Learning about gems would be fun for a few months, even if its not very practical knowledge.  Back in the 90s-2000s there used to be a really killer street gem trade in Chattuchak and a few other places.  Africans were selling rocks (emeralds, rubys, etc) right out of the mines they carried with them to Thailand.  But the police cracked down and deported all of those people so.. Its not what it once was.  But like I said, it would be fun.  I've always been a rock hound.  Just not a formally educated one.

do you or do you plan to get mc driving license ?

i think it makes life a tremendous difference especially for us

with horrible pain, i can not stand and wait for a songtaew

but driving bike for a while is no issue at all, and generally

it just makes me more active.

40 minutes ago, poanoi said:

do you or do you plan to get mc driving license ?

i think it makes life a tremendous difference especially for us

with horrible pain, i can not stand and wait for a songtaew

but driving bike for a while is no issue at all, and generally

it just makes me more active.

Yeah I've had my eyes on a Royal Enfield for some time now.  I need to actually try to sit on it for an extended period though and see how my neck and shoulders and upper back feel.  And also my hips, that is a concern, too.  My hips are actually worse since the last surgeries.  I am just a mess but I still view every day as a blessing.  Every day above ground is a good day.

6 hours ago, NoHabla said:

Hey man I said right away that I don't speak Thai, learning a second language is hard.  I don't slam Thai people for not knowing english, I understand it.  The only reason English and Spanish are so easy for me is because of where I live and my background and the fact that they are actually very similar languages.  Thai and english are NOTHING LIKE EACH OTHER.  Even remotely!

My post was not about your ability to speak Thai. My post was about money.

You put a salary requirement when looking for a date, but act almost offended when Thai women look for same.

Thai women who earn 20k a month are middle class and if they are from good families and don't drink and gamble they can very much afford to live on their own quite happily. Don't forget they have hundreds of friends to keep them busy and are not desperate for companionship like so many single Western men who don't even have a one true friend to their name.

Also, one more thing to think about. Wife earns 40k a month, I almost earn twice as much. But my income is passive unlike here where she has to wake up at 5am and back at 8pm because of Bangkok traffic. I can tell you with 100% certainty that she would have more respect for me if I was teaching English for 30k a month than sitting at home flipping fingers. Sorry, but a normal middle class Thai woman will see you as a lazy farang on a 30k welfare check from your home country who she can't have a future with. Thai women ALWAYS think about future even when their actions speak otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My post was not about your ability to speak Thai. My post was about money.

You put a salary requirement when looking for a date, but act almost offended when Thai women look for same.

Thai women who earn 20k a month are middle class and if they are from good families and don't drink and gamble they can very much afford to live on their own quite happily. Don't forget they have hundreds of friends to keep them busy and are not desperate for companionship like so many single Western men who don't even have a one true friend to their name.

Also, one more thing to think about. Wife earns 40k a month, I almost earn twice as much. But my income is passive unlike here where she has to wake up at 5am and back at 8pm because of Bangkok traffic. I can tell you with 100% certainty that she would have more respect for me if I was teaching English for 30k a month than sitting at home flipping fingers. Sorry, but a normal middle class Thai woman will see you as a lazy farang on a 30k welfare check from your home country who she can't have a future with. Thai women ALWAYS think about future even when their actions speak otherwise. 

They also think about the Dhama a lot, and if you are in a situation where you could be making merit all day long yet choose to sit at home doing little, you will be viewed as someone who doesn't care about much at all, as you would in most societies.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Sorry, but a normal middle class Thai woman will see you as a lazy farang on a 30k welfare check from your home country who she can't have a future with. Thai women ALWAYS think about future even when their actions speak otherwise. 

Again this is another attack on people who are poor/disabled.

Whatever dude.  You try waking up every morning with screws and plates in three major joints and several large bones in your spine that are smashed out of place.

I'm lazy.  Thats why I went and signed up to go to war when most people were out partying and looking for ways to get high.  Thanks for the input.  Don't care.

Also, I could care less if a girl I am dating makes 5000 baht a month or 500,000 baht a month.  I like working class women.  When I was dating Americans and Latinas, I also preferred working class women.  Theres nothing wrong with that, either.  And the girl I am talking to now could care less than I make 30k.  Absolutely care less.  Thats why I am excited about her.

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

my dollar millionaire gf only ever gave a shit about my dick,

she was too embarrassed to have anything to do with me beside that.

a reason i both tired of her and miss her

I was married to a girl from a very wealthy family (not from Thailand, but Asian, not saying from where).  I just always thought it was funny that when I went to see her family, they still always expected ME to pay for everything, even train tickets for them to go out to restaurants, meals, and drinks.  These people easily earned 10 times my salary and had a BWM out in the parking garage in a country where most people felt it was in-affordable to have a car!  I never really cared enough to research if this was the custom with them or this was just me in particular.  Just always amused me

27 minutes ago, NoHabla said:

I was married to a girl from a very wealthy family (not from Thailand, but Asian, not saying from where).  I just always thought it was funny that when I went to see her family, they still always expected ME to pay for everything, even train tickets for them to go out to restaurants, meals, and drinks.  These people easily earned 10 times my salary and had a BWM out in the parking garage in a country where most people felt it was in-affordable to have a car!  I never really cared enough to research if this was the custom with them or this was just me in particular.  Just always amused me

...at least they would agree to see you,

my gf family threatened to cut her off the family if she kept meeting me,

such was the humiliation of having white trash in the family

33 minutes ago, NoHabla said:

Again this is another attack on people who are poor/disabled.

Whatever dude.  You try waking up every morning with screws and plates in three major joints and several large bones in your spine that are smashed out of place.

I'm lazy.  Thats why I went and signed up to go to war when most people were out partying and looking for ways to get high.  Thanks for the input.  Don't care.

Nothing to do with you or me.

If you can travel and live in another country it is assumed you are rich. Imagine their disappointment when they realize that's not the case.

Again, why is it your requirement to have a girlfriend of a certain salary, but they can't expect the same.

I had no clue about your disability or your situation. I was just commenting about reality. 

I've been traveling to Thailand for quite awhile and even I have realised that there are many farang who aren't rich.  Take the British guys in Pattaya begging their families for fivers on paypal, for instance.  Thailand is one of those "bargain travel" destinations.  Many go there just because it costs far less to holiday there than it does in the Caribbean.  Surely some Thais must have figured it out by now that not all farang are rich.  Lastly, if you look through my post, you'll see that I am just tired of the demands of the higher class - in my country too.  Thats why I prefer Thais who earn less.  Same here.  I don't go looking through Maserati dealerships looking for dates.  I go to donut socials in my church on skid row and run down diners.  Someone with a similar life experience and more understanding is not an unreasonable thing to look for in a perspective date.

9 minutes ago, poanoi said:

...at least they would agree to see you,

my gf family threatened to cut her off the family if she kept meeting me,

such was the humiliation of having white trash in the family

I grew up in a trailer man.  I know all about it.

One of these girls I dated talked on and on about how I couldn't afford to help her family.  She was earning 90,000 a month and only sent 8k to her mom every month.  I asked her why her mom didn't have any furniture in Phichit when I saw the house, and she said "well, I don't live here.  Just my mom.  If she can't manage the money I send her every month, that's not my problem.  Suuuuure hahaha.

5 minutes ago, NoHabla said:

I've been traveling to Thailand for quite awhile 

You're thinking like farang....it's not gonna work.

You are not dating a woman, you are dating all her nagging family. Even a woman you're chatting with now that you say could care less about how much you make is most likely not being honest. Money is always an issue in this country. I am at the point where I truly believe that it would be completely unnatural if a Thai woman behaved otherwise. 

This is no way a bash, it just is what it is.

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You are not dating a woman, you are dating all her nagging family. Even a woman you're chatting with now that you say could care less about how much you make is most likely not being honest. Money is always an issue in this country. I am at the point where I truly believe that it would be completely unnatural if a Thai woman behaved otherwise. 

Well the female I am socialising with now knows from the get-go that I don't have a big cheque coming every month and that I have health problems.  And she's still persuing dating me more than I am her when I come back to BKK next January.  So maybe I found a gem in the rough or maybe later she will change.  It may also be too that she knows that she's a maid, who is divorced with a 6 year old kid, and her options are limited when it comes to the dating pool.  Regardless, without too high expectations on this, I like the way it is sounding so far.

13 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Sad, absolutely a bash based on a ridiculous generalisation, what may be true is that any Thai woman willing to entertain you has money in her mind, but that does not translate to all Thai women and their relationship with all foreign men.

13 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Sad, absolutely a bash based on a ridiculous generalisation, what may be true is that any Thai woman willing to entertain you has money in her mind, but that does not translate to all Thai women and their relationship with all foreign men.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well to be fair to him I have met more women who are the way he describes than women who aren't.  I have been very Bangkok-centric in who I look for to date, also, which hasn't helped me.  The girls I have talked to in Rayong may be "tainted" in a way because they've had relationships with other foreigners who had more money than I do.  As others have said, 30k a month does not sound bad at all to women from lower economic statures outside of the city centre.  And 30k is not the end-all, be-all for me.  It will go up.  And while I am enrolled full-time in school, I get extra money anyway.  I can use that both to get an extended visa in Thailand and also for more money to put away.  I have 28 months left of that benefit left!

On 7/5/2018 at 10:21 PM, NoHabla said:

Yeah I hinted at that above.  However, if they were smarter, they'd see I get 30k for the rest of my life, including when I am 78.  How many people do you know in esan who get 30k a month when they're 78?  I have a lot of financial security some Thai men do not have.  I'm sure there's someone out there for me.  Also with the savings thing, if they do change the law, I am sure that people already there and married will be grandfathered in.

To me that seems like a very strange disability check. You will get 30K baht for the rest of your life. Out of what I know theese kind of checks usually follow some kind of index rate, and will get bigger during the yoers according to the value of money in the country that is paying your check.

However, if this is not, and is going to be 30K baht when you are 40 years old, as well as 30K baht when your are 78-80 years old. Then I will guess that even a Thai woman understands that is not possible to live on 40 years later.

Archived