Trump says Kim 'sees different future' for North Korea

webfact

Trump says Kim 'sees different future' for North Korea

2018-07-05T215812Z_1_LYNXMPEE64283_RTROPTP_3_NORTHKOREA-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: President Trump speaks during a news conference after his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he believes that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sees a different future for his country, as America's top diplomat heads to Pyongyang for talks on denuclearization.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One as he flew to Montana, Trump said: “I really believe that he sees a different future for the North Koreans. I hope that’s true.”

Trump spoke as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew to North Korea for talks following Kim's pledge to Trump at a Singapore summit last month to denuclearize.

(Reporting by James Oliphant; Writing by Eric Beech; Editing by Tim Ahmann)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-06

I hate to say it: I think, Trump is right on this one!

Having said that: Trump has no @#$%^&* clue, how Kim sees the future and if it maybe includes burning Southkorean cities and a radioactive wasteland on 'Muricas western coastline!

The man is an idiot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

I hate to say it: I think, Trump is right on this one!

Having said that: Trump has no @#$%^&* clue, how Kim sees the future and if it maybe includes burning Southkorean cities and a radioactive wasteland on 'Muricas western coastline!

The man is an idiot!

how does kim see the future?

• Thanks 1

Either Trump is a foolish mouse being played with by a rather unpleasant cat, or he has - mostly despite himself - managed with some basic dealmaking techniques to pull off an amazing coup that noone has managed for the last several decades.

Either way, Kim is entirely in control of the situation. All initiative now lies with N Korea.

As to which alternative it is, time will tell, at least 10 years I should think, long after Trump's exit from office.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Either Trump is a foolish mouse being played with by a rather unpleasant cat, or he has - mostly despite himself - managed with some basic dealmaking techniques to pull off an amazing coup that noone has managed for the last several decades.

Either way, Kim is entirely in control of the situation. All initiative now lies with N Korea.

As to which alternative it is, time will tell, at least 10 years I should think, long after Trump's exit from office.

If it's going to take 10 years to find out, that means very poor verification would be in place. In other words, it would have already failed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If it's going to take 10 years to find out, that means very poor verification would be in place. In other words, it would have already failed. 

If Kim has learned from his father - and all indications are that he has - then he can play Usofa & others along for quite some years, with promises, 1 step forward, 1 step back, vagueness, some progress, more demands for trade & funds, threats and so on. Given that he now - apparently - has operational nuclear weapons & weaponized missiles, he can draw all this out for a decade at least I should think.

What, after all, is Usofa's real alternative (putting aside childish trumpetings)? An all-out attack with conventional weapons? or with nukes? I don't think so.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, atyclb said:

He gets to keep his nukes and missiles and as long as he doesn't threaten anybody and says a few nice things to the orange dripping he gets western investment, he will have to allow Trump to publicly state that he has tamed Kim but who cares we all know he lies when he opens his tweeter.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, soalbundy said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

He gets to keep his nukes and missiles and as long as he doesn't threaten anybody and says a few nice things to the orange dripping he gets western investment, he will have to allow Trump to publicly state that he has tamed Kim but who cares we all know he lies when he opens his tweeter.

is this what he told you, what the fortune teller told you or a vision you had?

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Who needs nukes when you can destroy the enemy with Coke and Big Macs?

Who needs 'em?, exactly right!!! The American way isn't the only way or the best but killing with carbs works everytime! LMFAO ?

• Thanks 1

The only future Kim sees for North Korea is one with him firmly in charge.

Trump, like the fool he is, has made that more certain.

I hope he feels that it is worth a slack handful of his bombastic tweets 'cos that is all the USA and the rest of the world got out of the Singapore meeting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

The only future Kim sees for North Korea is one with him firmly in charge.

Trump, like the fool he is, has made that more certain.

I hope he feels that it is worth a slack handful of his bombastic tweets 'cos that is all the USA and the rest of the world got out of the Singapore meeting.

"Harry Truman’s memorable reference to Somoza, the Nicaraguan dictator, “Yes, he is a son of a bitch, but he is our son of a bitch,” acknowledged America’s love affair with brutal dictators"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/americas-destructive-love-affair-with-dictators_us_5a386eb4e4b0578d1beb723e

• Thanks 1

It looks like that Singapore meeting was more about the DT family business developing a resort and the infrastructure to support it than about anything else, DT himself pretty much said it straight out at the news conference.  As far as NK reducing nukes, the only thing indicating that is DT's words, and we know what those are worth; no sanctions are being lifted, no other indication of any sort of accord.  My guess is the meeting ended with "ok, I'll call off the military exercise if you agree to think about my proposal, ok?"  The art of the deal indeed.

Notice that when DT made the 'fat joke' at the conference the smile immediately dropped from Kim's face.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, atyclb said:

the us has a long history of embracing dictators and despots especially when their interests are served.

I would say "using" rather than "embracing" as the latter suggests a more personal relationship - such as we see with Trump towards dictators and despots.

Trump "honors" them, "admires" their authoritarian control, excuses their crimes against humanity and embraces their criminal acts.

The US has had a long history of embracing its allies because US democratic security and economic interests are best served by global peace that had resulted. But not anymore under Trump's agenda, "the enemy of my enemy is my enemy."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, atyclb said:

educated guess, Trump blusters and plays to the crowd, he needs some sort of success no matter how pitiful, Kim is a wily ruthless dictator who needs his nukes to stay in power. Kim knows of Trumps desperation and of S.Korea's need for peace, even a virtual peace, much will be willingly overlooked as long as he reins in his sabre rattling and drags things out. He will get some investment, not huge and mostly from the South but he and his playmates don't need much they are fine as they are.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:
On 7/6/2018 at 5:44 PM, atyclb said:

educated guess, Trump blusters and plays to the crowd, he needs some sort of success no matter how pitiful, Kim is a wily ruthless dictator who needs his nukes to stay in power. Kim knows of Trumps desperation and of S.Korea's need for peace, even a virtual peace, much will be willingly overlooked as long as he reins in his sabre rattling and drags things out. He will get some investment, not huge and mostly from the South but he and his playmates don't need much they are fine as they are.

rather than guess do you think it is better to see what the actual outcome is?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

rather than guess do you think it is better to see what the actual outcome is?

As I recall, not too long ago, lots of right wingers were calling on Trump to be awarded a Nobel Prize just for the meeting. I didn't even know that there was a Nobel Prize for event planning.

A correction: Apparently it wasn't just right wingers who believed Trump should be awarded a Nobel Prize. In fact, it was everyone:

Donald Trump says 'everyone' thinks he should get Nobel Peace prize - but he just wants 'victory for the world'

Last week a group of 18 of Mr Trump's biggest Republican supporters in Congress formally nominated Mr Trump for the prestigious award.

Some 18 members of the House of Representatives sent a letter to the Norwegian Nobel Committee urging it to consider Mr Trump for next year's award in recognition of "his tireless work to bring peace to our world".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/09/donald-trump-says-everyone-thinks-should-get-nobel-peace-prize/

Edited by bristolboy
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1