U.S. accuses Russia of stifling press freedom after court fines radio

rooster59

U.S. accuses Russia of stifling press freedom after court fines radio

800x800 (9).jpg

People walk along Red Square, with the Mausoleum of Soviet state founder Vladimir Lenin and St. Basil's cathedral seen in the background, in central Moscow, Russia March 18, 2018. REUTERS/Gleb Garanich

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department accused Moscow of stifling press freedom and media independence on Friday after a Russian court fined the U.S. government-sponsored Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty for violating Russia's "foreign agent" law.

RFE/RL said the court found it guilty on Thursday of not complying fully with Moscow's foreign agent law and fined it 100,000 roubles ($1,585), which the broadcaster described as the latest step in a campaign against its operations.

"The Russian government continues to stifle press freedom and media independence," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement. "We condemn the selective targeting of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and Voice of America under Russia's law on 'foreign agent' media outlets."

Russia designated RFE/RL and Voice of America as foreign agents in December. The decision required the outlets to include in any information they publish or broadcast to Russian audiences a statement mentioning their status as foreign agents.

The Russian designation was seen as retaliation for what Moscow said was unacceptable U.S. pressure on Russian media in the United States.

U.S. intelligence officials have accused the Kremlin of using Russian media it finances to influence U.S. voters. Washington last year forced Russian state broadcaster RT to register its U.S.-based affiliate as a foreign agent under U.S. law.

Nauert said the Russian State Duma had approved additional legislation that could enable the government to extend the foreign agent designation to individual journalists in addition to media outlets.

"The United States again calls on the Russian government to uphold its commitments ... to respect the exercise of fundamental freedoms, including freedom of expression, in Russia," Nauert said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-07

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Yes, I'm sure Trump will ask Putin for pointers on how to muzzle the free press.

You might be joking, or maybe not. But I've always thought in his black heart of hearts, Trump wishes he WAS the Putin of the United States and could act with impunity, regardless of laws or the Constitution or historical tradition. Pretty much the same way he operated as the head of the Trump Organization where he was the de facto king, and everyone else just vassals.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Too funny. Russia treats Radio Free Europe the way the US treats RT and THe US is upset.

In my book that would make the US hypocrites.  But that is just my opinion.

“The court’s decision clearly shows that the “foreign agents” law unduly hinders the work of media outlets and narrows the space for freedom of the media in the Russian Federation,” - OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Harlem Désir

https://www.osce.org/representative-on-freedom-of-media/387047

In what way does the US hinder the work of registered foreign agents in the US such as RT?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

Too funny. Russia treats Radio Free Europe the way the US treats RT and THe US is upset.

In my book that would make the US hypocrites.  But that is just my opinion.

There is no country on earth that has more freedom of the press than the United States. On the other hand, American hypocrisy is well-known to anyone with an elementary knowledge of history. For example; during World War Two the United States was screaming "BLOODY MURDER" about the Malmedy Massacre but it did its utmost to sweep the Biscari Massacre under the rug.

3 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

There is no country on earth that has more freedom of the press than the United States. On the other hand, American hypocrisy is well-known to anyone with an elementary knowledge of history. For example; during World War Two the United States was screaming "BLOODY MURDER" about the Malmedy Massacre but it did its utmost to sweep the Biscari Massacre under the rug.

My Lai , made it out...

(this just came to mind, as 'Platoon' was on the telly last night)

Edited by tifino

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

“The court’s decision clearly shows that the “foreign agents” law unduly hinders the work of media outlets and narrows the space for freedom of the media in the Russian Federation,” - OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Harlem Désir

https://www.osce.org/representative-on-freedom-of-media/387047

In what way does the US hinder the work of registered foreign agents in the US such as RT?

I think RT faces pretty much the same stuff in the US, nowadays - required to register as a political agent, divulge details regarding funding, and making clear its broadcasts are sponsored by a foreign government etc.