Not-SpaceX Shows Up as Cave Rescue Becomes Circus

rooster59

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

valid points, but they have been precisely located.  The limestone is a complication, too.  The miners would have the best geologists, too.  At least a 4-6 inch air hole could be drilled, that isn't rocket science...just some expensive, industrial equipment that the military doesn't have.

They haven't been precisely located... They know where they are in the cave, but not where the cave is in relation to the surface.  Cave mapping is not a particularly accurate science.  They would need to use an INS (Inertial Navigation System) - take it into the cave, and the on exit, the exact position of the chamber can be precisely calculated from all the up/down, left/right, & forward/backward motions, to within a few meters over the distance.  I've not heard that this has been done, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

Hopefully it'll be irrelevant now anyway since the extraction option seems to have started..  Fingers cross for all concerned.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lanista said:

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON ???

There has been a disaster in Phuket with over 50 tourists dead and  more missing  - feared drowned- and the media is all but ignoring it.

One diver drowns in the cave and its top billing all across the media.

drill drill drill  !!!!!! this whole cave thing has got out of control.

I'm seriously waiting for Cpt Kirk and Spok to fly down and beam them up.

The media is insane.

This one can be monetized better, boats go down every day but caves are a bit of novelty. Just check out CNN's web page, they are trying to connect a cave in Thailand to immigration control at Mexico border. Anything goes.

All sorts come crawling out of their caves to try to get their 15mins. Or maybe the rescuers scared them out of this one.

11 hours ago, lanista said:

The media is insane

If you realize the media is insane (and it is) you have answered your own question to a large degree. Is it the right way to go? No, but it sure sells.

11 hours ago, lanista said:

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON ???

There has been a disaster in Phuket with over 50 tourists dead and  more missing  - feared drowned- and the media is all but ignoring it.

One diver drowns in the cave and its top billing all across the media.

drill drill drill  !!!!!! this whole cave thing has got out of control.

I'm seriously waiting for Cpt Kirk and Spok to fly down and beam them up.

The media is insane.

Surprised you havent been taken outside and shot for even mentioning it, the insatiable demand for "news"  yeah its kind of creepy.

13 hours ago, CLW said:

Chiang Rai. Cute Thai children with a happy ending showing the good side of Thailand.

Phuket. Chinese tourists drown. Bad publicity.

It's much more than that. Otherwise the global media wouldn't have been giving it blanket coverage, especially now that they've successfully got four of them out and it's more riveting than ever. Who can remember the last time there was a similar story? If this was playing out in any country in the world right now it'd draw the same level of interest and concern and desire to help. The story has everything, a kids football team, an unimaginably scary situation, heroic rescuers from around the world, and most of all, the real hope of a successful outcome. 

Sad though the Phuket story was, it was an all too familiar tale of people putting profit before safety, a story played out all the time (on the roads here especially). There was also another ferry tragedy with a similar number of fatalities only three days earlier in Indonesia, pretty much dropped out of the news cycle already. 

• Like 2

It's much more than that. Otherwise the global media wouldn't have been giving it blanket coverage, especially now that they've successfully got four of them out and it's more riveting than ever. Who can remember the last time there was a similar story? If this was playing out in any country in the world right now it'd draw the same level of interest and concern and desire to help. The story has everything, a kids football team, an unimaginably scary situation, heroic rescuers from around the world, and most of all, the real hope of a successful outcome. 

Sad though the Phuket story was, it was an all too familiar tale of people putting profit before safety, a story played out all the time (on the roads here especially). There was also another ferry tragedy with a similar number of fatalities only three days earlier in Indonesia, pretty much dropped out of the news cycle already. 
That is sad but seems to be true.
I haven't heard of the news from Indonesia either.
  • Like 1

Expecting a blockbuster movie of this when the fairytale ending happens.
I hope when it comes to that point that and it is a Thai movie, that it is produced by GDH. They are the only ones that can produce movies on international standards

1 minute ago, CLW said:
9 minutes ago, mahtin said:
Expecting a blockbuster movie of this when the fairytale ending happens.

I hope when it comes to that point that and it is a Thai movie, that it is produced by GDH. They are the only ones that can produce movies on international standards

Amd when they portrait the heroic TVF member following the rescue progres and  wisly commenting on the forum, that  they will  cast my part to be played by Bruce Willis and not Mr Bean.

• Haha 1

This guy is just in it for the publicity. I was looking at this ridiculous plan and have the following questions for him.
1. Has he ever tried to submerge a balloon underwater?
2. Will his escape tube hold its shape while underwater?
3. When fully inflated the tube will be bouyant and rise to the roof of the cave. Will that not cause some difficulties for the exiting kids?
4. Is the material of the tube sturdy enough so as not to rip and tear?
5. How is he going to make sure the internal pressure on the tube remains constant and does not collapse?
6. What if kinks form on the tube - like a garden hose that folds?

Needless to say some one needs to find such inflatable sturdy fabric a few square km worth in a hurry, roll it up into a tube shape and then stitch it up them tubes so that it’s a few kilometers long - that alone should take several months complete I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, neupaneaj said:

Needless to say some one needs to find such inflatable sturdy fabric a few square km worth in a hurry, roll it up into a tube shape and then stitch it up them tubes so that it’s a few kilometers long - that alone should take several months complete I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That’s more scary and dangerous than the actual diving. Steep inclines. Impossible to walk and maybe more claustrophobic 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

That’s more scary and dangerous than the actual diving. Steep inclines. Impossible to walk and maybe more claustrophobic 

These dozen kids have proven that they are not claustrophobic (like I am).

Elon Musk could quite likely have aided this rescue in a big way, problem is, he was a bit tardy on stepping up.

However, the current effort to evacuate seems to be successful. Hopefully today is the big day for another group to evacuate, if not all. Go team go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neeray said:

These dozen kids have proven that they are not claustrophobic (like I am).

Elon Musk could quite likely have aided this rescue in a big way, problem is, he was a bit tardy on stepping up.

However, the current effort to evacuate seems to be successful. Hopefully today is the big day for another group to evacuate, if not all. Go team go.

Only on a better top line pumping system. His tube is too far fetched for the inclines in there.