What's your cheapest ever flight from UK to Thailand?

RickG16

16 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Cheapest i had was 99 pound return London Gatwick to Phuket with Monarch in 1997.

Found it on teletext, prices started at 499 pounds but i booked paid and flew all within 24 hours, bit of a rush but for that price whats a bit of rushing about.

Emirates, 250 pound return LHR/BKK in 2009. From my local travel agent shop.

Those were the days!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Denim said:

Booked return flight BKK LON BKK  for this September. 25,000 baht direct return with British Airways ( yuk ). Prefer EVA but best quote for September was 30,000 ish

Good to see BKK-LHR-BKK, still around 30,000 ish, I have been paying that for over 10 years now, I prefer a stopover, 11-12 hours, to much in one go.

But, last time I was booked on China Eastern, got to the airport ,it was the  end  of Chines new year, flight overbooked ,they picked me out ,single person, said  a Thai flight leaves in 45 minutes I said ok, that was a direct flight, got in to London at 7.30 am  instead of 5.30 pm with China Eastern. 

Never get sensible answers on this forum as most posters are illiterate  or too up their own arse to read the original post correctly , either don't respond or post relevant information. p.s i've had flights lhr-bkk one way for less than £300 with good lay over times but that was 3+ years ago so now means nothing

IMHO this is a rather sad thread. Firsrtly I'm not wealthy, I'm 61 still working for a local Asian company despite a serious stroke last year which has left me using a stick to get around.

I determined by the time I got to this age I wouldn't be penny pinching and if I couldn't fly Business Class for the sake of comfort, wherever I was going, then I wouldn't travel. All this scratching around for cheap flights certainly isn't for me.

That said, as always, one man's meat...

4 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

IMHO this is a rather sad thread. Firsrtly I'm not wealthy, I'm 61 still working for a local Asian company despite a serious stroke last year which has left me using a stick to get around.

I determined by the time I got to this age I wouldn't be penny pinching and if I couldn't fly Business Class for the sake of comfort, wherever I was going, then I wouldn't travel. All this scratching around for cheap flights certainly isn't for me.

About time you learned the value of money and enjoy life while you can instead of being materialistic or hi so

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rumbo1 said:

About time you learned the value of money and enjoy life while you can instead of being materialistic or hi so

It seems it's about time you learned to be more polite. I was only offering an opinion. I worked in finance most of my life, so I'm well versed in all forms of economics thank you. Materialistic? Hi so? just because I enjoy comfort? dear me...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rumbo1 said:

What a moronic response, a 61 yo who has looked after his finances and enjoys spending as he sees fit, nice to see there is at least one non cheap Charlie on here

• Like 1

12 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Best Search Site tends to be SkyScanner as they don't jack the prices up if you go back to a previous search.

No website does if you don't actually log in and, more importantly, clear your browser cookies as then  they don't know you've been there before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drayger said:

April this year paid £322 with Royal Jordanian for return LHR - BKK 

I flew with them once, years ago and they were OK-ish but the aircraft were rather tired, the cabin layout was cramped, food awful and on the return trip the stop in Jordan and needing to get a "VOA"  and stay in the grotty airport hotel made me question whether I'd done the right thing! Seeing as how Emirates via DXB is only another £150......

However the cheapest I ever did the journey was Balkan Airways which was under £300 in  the January!  Sitting on the floor in Sofia airport for 12 hours really wasn't fun!  Amusingly, there was a German chap who'd  obviously done the trip before because in his hand-carry was an inflatable pillow, a Thermos flask of coffee (when liquids were allowed!) and a pack of sandwiches. I guess you put that down to German efficiency! ?

7 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

What surprised me on my flight in June, was the cheaper price if 2 tickets booked at same time !

Quote was 26k for 1 person but 48k for 2 ? Never noticed that before...

Ah....economy of scale!

Maybe next time you'll BOGOF?! :sorry:

30 minutes ago, VBF said:

I flew with them once, years ago and they were OK-ish but the aircraft were rather tired, the cabin layout was cramped, food awful and on the return trip the stop in Jordan and needing to get a "VOA"  and stay in the grotty airport hotel made me question whether I'd done the right thing! Seeing as how Emirates via DXB is only another £150......

However the cheapest I ever did the journey was Balkan Airways which was under £300 in  the January!  Sitting on the floor in Sofia airport for 12 hours really wasn't fun!  Amusingly, there was a German chap who'd  obviously done the trip before because in his hand-carry was an inflatable pillow, a Thermos flask of coffee (when liquids were allowed!) and a pack of sandwiches. I guess you put that down to German efficiency! ?

Yep flew them think it was 1994 possibly 1995 flight was cancelled from Bangkok to Sofia from the late evening slot. We were taken to some hotel in bangkok god knows where flight rescheduled for the following morning......not surprisingly the flight to london had departed plenty of hours earlier so overnighted again in hotel in sofia always remember sitting in reception all these "females" surrounding me lol.....obviously I knew why but had a lot of fun playing the innocent......next morning back to sofia airport to not surprisingly find the daily flight well overbooked now....fortunately I got on others didnt they could still be there now.....not my finest trip home lol

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DipStick said:

What a moronic response, a 61 yo who has looked after his finances and enjoys spending as he sees fit, nice to see there is at least one non cheap Charlie on here

I don't understand , what is a cheap charlie ?

• Sad 1

The best I have had was 2016, July,  air India from Birmingham,which was cancelled, put us in a hotel for the night breakfast and lunch the next day. We took off early pm, I paid £340 and got a refund of them £640 lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Denim said:

Booked return flight BKK LON BKK  for this September. 25,000 baht direct return with British Airways ( yuk ). Prefer EVA but best quote for September was 30,000 ish

Just done EVA for Bht 22000 each. not overly impressed. Food was terrible. No pre-dinner drinks on return. 45 munute delay at the stand at LHR. Will do Etihad next time.

Edited by wgdanson

6 hours ago, freebyrd said:

A penny pincher, is that any clearer for you?

ah a person who knows how to budget and find value for money without ringing a bell in the bar and probably has more money than most bell ringers but doesn't want the attention and can pay his own medical bills when the shit hits the fan , yep i'm a charlie retired at 48 living here playing golf 4 times a week and always only been a low life employee , its a wonderful life if you're not a power freak

57 minutes ago, rumbo1 said:

ah a person who knows how to budget and find value for money without ringing a bell in the bar and probably has more money than most bell ringers but doesn't want the attention and can pay his own medical bills when the shit hits the fan , yep i'm a charlie retired at 48 living here playing golf 4 times a week and always only been a low life employee , its a wonderful life if you're not a power freak

Rather amusing that you live in Thailand but don't know what a Cheap Charlie is - really, do you live in a cave?! ?.

There's nothing wrong with being an employee, I've been one since I was 16 and still am at 61. I don't go into any bars ever and have never rung a bell. So you have more money than others, whoopee do! mine's bigger than yours, playground talk ?.

To conclude your command of English is rather poor so I won't pursue this any further. I suggest you save your breath to practice your golf swing and perhaps seek out some grammar instruction as it appears you have more than one form of handicap. Q.E.D.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Rather amusing that you live in Thailand but don't know what a Cheap Charlie is - really, do you live in a cave?! ?.

There's nothing wrong with being an employee, I've been one since I was 16 and still am at 61. I don't go into any bars ever and have never rung a bell. So you have more money than others, whoopee do! mine's bigger than yours, playground talk ?.

To conclude your command of English is rather poor so I won't pursue this any further. I suggest you save your breath to practice your golf swing and perhaps seek out some grammar instruction as it appears you have more than one form of handicap. Q.E.D.

And you still don't understand ! , ever heard of sarcasm and humour  p.s im not bragging about my personal finances just stating if i wasn't

called Charlie i would still be working instead of living the dream

43 minutes ago, rumbo1 said:

And you still don't understand ! , ever heard of sarcasm and humour  p.s im not bragging about my personal finances just stating if i wasn't

called Charlie i would still be working instead of living the dream

I work because I choose to. Good luck with your chosen path.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, RickG16 said:

Mine was one way.. 22k return is v good. Was that direct?

Maybe they discounted because you are coming back 

eva usually fly direct from LHR as the plane flies to Taiwan and stops bkk to top up fuel and drop passengers off and pick up passengers from Bkk to Taipei

On 7/10/2018 at 6:40 PM, freebyrd said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2018 at 8:30 AM, freebyrd said:

Why on earth would you Troll a thread if it isn't for you?

It's just a bit of a light hearted thread. Go and find a business class thread and knock yourself out.

Goodness forbid someone starts a thread titled What's your cheapest ever business class flight from UK to Thailand?

What will you do then?

Sheesh....

Cheapest ever was possible BA for £150 return. But that was a courier flight so not recent.

Cheapest recent was £185 return with a positioning flight that took the price to perhaps £250. Oman I think. Last year or the year before. I've had quite a few flights with a total price of around £250 over the past few years. The most recent being with Kuwait Airways over Christmas last year.  The put me on Lufthansa instead as Kuwait changed their schedule so much that it was unusable. Got a nice seat upstairs on the A380. Stewardesses were very friendly.

What freebyrd may not understand is that it's not just about Economy flights. He could post the best deal he found for Business or first

If a cheap flight comes up, I might just take it for the sake of it. Even if i wasn't planning on going.

For instance, Air China had this last week; 

gva-cnx-1.png.304552c4440b4e4befb7993daaefcdb1.png

I changed the CNX/Chiang Mai for BKK and got it for £190, instead of £178. Chose April/May as that would be a pleasant time for a stopover on the way back, in Beijing.

If it wasn't at that price, I would even consider such a trip. But because it was cheap.

Similarly with Business Class. Gulf having a price of just over £1000, pulls people in. Nothing to do with 'scratching around' or penny pinching'. That's just freebyrd's perception because he is on the outside looking in.

We are likely having more fun and more trips than he is.

Joining a thread to state that it is sad, is sad. If it's not for you, find a thread that is.

I rather enjoy flying to places I didn't think about until I found a cheap flight going there. Though I do draw the line with dodgy airlines. Air China is really scraping the barrel. I bought a flight ticket with them once, cancelling it the same day and flew with Qatar instead.

So the cheap ticket has to be with a decent airline. But if I want a stopover in Beijing, then it has to be Air China.

• Like 1

I just flew Oslo to Perth, business with Thai... Only because my company paid !!

Really was average.. Apart from the fact that you can stretch out and sleep properly..

Movies were pants, food was ok, seats were narrow..

I've only ever flown business with Emirates, on free upgrades and that was fantastic.

Personally, I would never pay for business. It's far too over priced unless you can land a real bargain ??

• Like 1