What's your cheapest ever flight from UK to Thailand?

RickG16

11 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Why on earth would you Troll a thread if it isn't for you?

It's just a bit of a light hearted thread. Go and find a business class thread and knock yourself out.

Goodness forbid someone starts a thread titled What's your cheapest ever business class flight from UK to Thailand?

What will you do then?

Sheesh....

Since when is expressing an opinion trolling? Do me a favour and knock your self out.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, freebyrd said:

It seems it's about time you learned to be more polite. I was only offering an opinion. I worked in finance most of my life, so I'm well versed in all forms of economics thank you. Materialistic? Hi so? just because I enjoy comfort? dear me...

On 7/9/2018 at 2:30 PM, freebyrd said:

IMHO this is a rather sad thread. Firsrtly I'm not wealthy, I'm 61 still working for a local Asian company despite a serious stroke last year which has left me using a stick to get around.

I determined by the time I got to this age I wouldn't be penny pinching and if I couldn't fly Business Class for the sake of comfort, wherever I was going, then I wouldn't travel. All this scratching around for cheap flights certainly isn't for me.

That said, as always, one man's meat...

Good on you mate

you can't take it with you, so if you can afford it, go for it

i wish I could do the same, but restrict it to good hotels instead

• Like 1

But to reply to the op

my cheapest flight was 3 years ago

£320 return to Manchester and also

got a return to Perth  Australian from Manchester for £336

found it on Secret Flying and booked it through Expedia, Brazil

3 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Good on you mate

Thanks for that. To put it into context, I do only fly PP to BKK business class twice a year and to the UK once every couple of years ?.

8 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Since when is expressing an opinion trolling? Do me a favour and knock your self out.

Because your 'opinion' was insulting to the other posters. At your age you should know how to keep a civil tongue in your head.

Express your 'opinion' without insulting others. I won't be doing you any favours.

8 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Good on you mate

No one is saying don't spend it. But why start the post by insulting the OP and others?

Perhaps we are all twenty years old with other priorities and not sixty one. How would he know?

It was just an unpleasant comment, pure and simple.

20 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Cheapest ever was possible BA for £150 return. But that was a courier flight so not recent.

Cheapest recent was £185 return with a positioning flight that took the price to perhaps £250. Oman I think. Last year or the year before. I've had quite a few flights with a total price of around £250 over the past few years. The most recent being with Kuwait Airways over Christmas last year.  The put me on Lufthansa instead as Kuwait changed their schedule so much that it was unusable. Got a nice seat upstairs on the A380. Stewardesses were very friendly.

What freebyrd may not understand is that it's not just about Economy flights. He could post the best deal he found for Business or first

If a cheap flight comes up, I might just take it for the sake of it. Even if i wasn't planning on going.

For instance, Air China had this last week; 

gva-cnx-1.png.304552c4440b4e4befb7993daaefcdb1.png

I changed the CNX/Chiang Mai for BKK and got it for £190, instead of £178. Chose April/May as that would be a pleasant time for a stopover on the way back, in Beijing.

If it wasn't at that price, I would even consider such a trip. But because it was cheap.

Similarly with Business Class. Gulf having a price of just over £1000, pulls people in. Nothing to do with 'scratching around' or penny pinching'. That's just freebyrd's perception because he is on the outside looking in.

We are likely having more fun and more trips than he is.

Joining a thread to state that it is sad, is sad. If it's not for you, find a thread that is.

I rather enjoy flying to places I didn't think about until I found a cheap flight going there. Though I do draw the line with dodgy airlines. Air China is really scraping the barrel. I bought a flight ticket with them once, cancelling it the same day and flew with Qatar instead.

So the cheap ticket has to be with a decent airline. But if I want a stopover in Beijing, then it has to be Air China.

Air China; https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/13/vaping-pilot-caused-air-china-plane-plunge-6500m-smoke-shut/

On 7/9/2018 at 10:06 AM, colinneil said:

Cheapest i had was 99 pound return London Gatwick to Phuket with Monarch in 1997.

Found it on teletext, prices started at 499 pounds but i booked paid and flew all within 24 hours, bit of a rush but for that price whats a bit of rushing about.

I think that is the cheapest on the thread. I did Monarch in 94 MAN-BKK return for gbp232. I was after a one way but this return was cheaper than all the scheduled airlines. It still ranks as my worst flight ever. 17 or 18 hours on a hi-density charter 757. 

I did a Mandarin LHR-BKK return for gbp299 in the 90's. That was "courier" ticket although you didnt carry anything.

I did a MAN-BKK open jaw HKG-MAN a few years ago. Booked at short notice and only did the return from HKG as it made the price much cheaper at gbp330. Flew Air Asia to HKG cheap and enjoyed a few days there.

I have a Qatar CNX-MAN-CNX for 10500 baht coming up in a few months. I was alerted to this from a post on the Chiang Mai forum. You had to book Qatar flights on BA.com as the BA codeshares.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Because your 'opinion' was insulting to the other posters. At your age you should know how to keep a civil tongue in your head.

Express your 'opinion' without insulting others. I won't be doing you any favours.

You are very thin skinned if you consider my comment and insult. As always I finished with "one man's meat..." I'll' give you the full spiel - one man's meat is another man's poison.  You need to look at the dictionary definition of insult. I won't waste any more time reading or replying to your inane replies.

2 hours ago, freebyrd said:

You are very thin skinned if you consider my comment and insult. As always I finished with "one man's meat..." I'll' give you the full spiel - one man's meat is another man's poison.  You need to look at the dictionary definition of insult. I won't waste any more time reading or replying to your inane replies.

The irony ? ....considering that you are acting more outraged and offended than anyone else. 

Since you haven't contributed even a single on-topic post in this thread and you think that it is sad, there really is no need for you to be here to read any of the posts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I think that is the cheapest on the thread. I did Monarch in 94 MAN-BKK return for gbp232. I was after a one way but this return was cheaper than all the scheduled airlines. It still ranks as my worst flight ever. 17 or 18 hours on a hi-density charter 757. 

I did a Mandarin LHR-BKK return for gbp299 in the 90's. That was "courier" ticket although you didnt carry anything.

I did a MAN-BKK open jaw HKG-MAN a few years ago. Booked at short notice and only did the return from HKG as it made the price much cheaper at gbp330. Flew Air Asia to HKG cheap and enjoyed a few days there.

I have a Qatar CNX-MAN-CNX for 10500 baht coming up in a few months. I was alerted to this from a post on the Chiang Mai forum. You had to book Qatar flights on BA.com as the BA codeshares.  

Nice.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:16 AM, CanuckThai said:

A little off topic, but in regards to Beijing, the airport is no fun, but the security/immigration ladies are a hoot (good fun). 

I flew in from Toronto, the only passenger continuing on (to BKK),  and was the only passenger to go through the specific security/immigration point.   The ladies were very serious, very dry, almost robot like scary, they checked my carry-on bag, asked me to empty my pockets...no problem.   Lady #1 pats me down, and cops a feel thinking I still had something in my pocket,  speaks Chinese.  Lady #2 takes over, asked me to empty my pockets again (I turn them inside out), she crouched down, prioritized frisking my crotch and thighs,  smiled a devious little smile....and says thank you

And then you woke up . . .  ?

13 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

The irony ? ....considering that you are acting more outraged and offended than anyone else. 

Since you haven't contributed even a single on-topic post in this thread and you think that it is sad, there really is no need for you to be here to read any of the posts.

Knee deep in your own pomposity? fpok llemmip.

6 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Knee deep in your own pomposity? fpok llemmip.

Pomposity? Do you mean like asserting that people who post about cheap flights are "sad" and "scratching around" and that you only take Business Class flights.

You really should stop. 

The thread title is What's your cheapest ever flight from UK to Thailand?

Do you have an instance to contribute?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Pomposity? Do you mean like asserting that people who post about cheap flights are "sad" and "scratching around" and that you only take Business Class flights.

You really should stop. 

The thread title is What's your cheapest ever flight from UK to Thailand?

Do you have an instance to contribute?

Two members agreed with my original post, two more likes, so not everyone thinks like you. I just took the thread and offered a different opinion.

And why should I stop? because you say so. Like I said, fpok lemmip, I would have thought that someone as 'smart' as you might have worked that one out.

You are the most boring individual I've had exchanges with in the years I've been on TVF.

OK, if you want to consider yourself the all seeing victor, go ahead. I'm going back to my life now and will erase your next before reading as you will undoubtedly reply and will likely keep this going for infinity if I reply.

Sayonara fpok lemmip.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 12:32 AM, RickG16 said:

Never heard that one before!

Test it out over a period of time. Saving 200 or 300 £s or $s is a lot. Book too early the price is usually high or book at the last minute and there is no guarantee the airlines are desperate for your money, once they have sold a number of seats the price goes up. On the basis of supply and demand. Demand is usually lowest at 7 weeks before and when some airlines will cut prices to fill empty seats. Chinese airlines tend to be the cheapest if you're prepared for a 36 hour journey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Test it out over a period of time. Saving 200 or 300 £s or $s is a lot. Book too early the price is usually high or book at the last minute and there is no guarantee the airlines are desperate for your money, once they have sold a number of seats the price goes up. On the basis of supply and demand. Demand is usually lowest at 7 weeks before and when some airlines will cut prices to fill empty seats. Chinese airlines tend to be the cheapest if you're prepared for a 36 hour journey.

24 hour ?

Cheap.jpg.530c06905597a7e015080849c6b6c070.jpg

Dates from November throughout March.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

24 hour ?

Cheap.jpg.530c06905597a7e015080849c6b6c070.jpg

Dates from November throughout March.

287 is a very good price but the first worry is its via traveasy.com . Who are they? you can bet as you start to book it there are other fees that bump the price up at the last moment , card charges, whatever and the price may end up similar to booking direct with Air China at 337 which is a bargain too.  In the event of delays, weather, strikes you will get more support from Air China. If you book with traveasy.com Air China may just tell you to speak to your agent and want nothing to do with you. It might not happen but its something to think about when booking. I always book direct with the airline whenever i can or a full service travel agent who knows what they are doing. 

On 7/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, William C F Pierce said:

The cheapest last year was just under £300 LHR to BKK. If You want the cheapest flights then you need to look and book exactly 7 weeks before you go flying out on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. The Cheapest Airlines tend to be the Chinese airlines, because of the long stopovers (the total journey time can be 36 Hours if you really want it that cheap). Best Search Site tends to be SkyScanner as they don't jack the prices up if you go back to a previous search.

Interesting info.

27 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

287 is a very good price but the first worry is its via traveasy.com . Who are they? you can bet as you start to book it there are other fees that bump the price up at the last moment , card charges, whatever and the price may end up similar to booking direct with Air China at 337 which is a bargain too.  In the event of delays, weather, strikes you will get more support from Air China. If you book with traveasy.com Air China may just tell you to speak to your agent and want nothing to do with you. It might not happen but its something to think about when booking. I always book direct with the airline whenever i can or a full service travel agent who knows what they are doing. 

To clarify with some facts. You may note there are a fair amount of alternatives listed. If you don't like Traveasy, pay £2 more to Omega. Either way, Traveasy have ATOL protection; http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=2

Secondly, OTA in the UK are not allowed to charge extra for card use. So no extra charges.

So don't make things up just for the sake of it.

"delays, weather, strikes" the airline is responsible. It's only in the event of you wanting to change flight of your own volition or seeking a refund, where you may have to deal with the agent.

Saying that, book with the airline is usually recommended anyway, for various reasons.

Finally, I'm certainly not recommending the airline or itinerary. I just posted it as it a thread concerning cheap flights. ?

• Like 1

I did many airlines over the years: KLM, BA, Air France, Qatar, China Soutern and always go for reasonable connections (2 - 4 h.). 

I will NOT go with Aeroflot, Turkish, Ukranian and similar.  No exception!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last februar 2018 was Emirates:  AMS - DUBAI - BKK - DUBAI - AMS. 540€ all A380's. Great!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last june 2018 was KLM:  AMS - BKK - AMS directly 550€. Boeing 777 used to be 747. 

------------------------------------------------------------

KLM has been expensive, but due to the many operators they finaly came down to reason imho. It is a good, reliable airline for sure.

Later this month i'm doing KLM again, but save 140€ departing from Antwerpen main train station and connection via Thalys train: 

ZWE - AMS - BKK - AMS (-ZWE) last connection will not be used as i live in NL. Boeing 777. Fare 480€ = 18.640 baht = 428 GBP.

I believe this last one may be my cheapest to BKK ever actually  ;).

KLM_747_PH-BFC_08032015_DSC1395.jpg

Am not sure where the fella earlier came up with dead on 7 weeks before wheels up as the cheapest prices you can expect. I've still not paid over £540 ever and unbelievably that was back in July 1995 on Thai

171 personal flights booked to Thailand from London  and have had cheap stuff with Eva booking paying and flying same day several times early 90's cheapies with a week to go and likewise with 4-8 weeks to go.

No hard and fast rule

On 7/31/2018 at 8:57 PM, KneeDeep said:

To clarify with some facts. You may note there are a fair amount of alternatives listed. If you don't like Traveasy, pay £2 more to Omega. Either way, Traveasy have ATOL protection; http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=2

Secondly, OTA in the UK are not allowed to charge extra for card use. So no extra charges.

So don't make things up just for the sake of it.

"delays, weather, strikes" the airline is responsible. It's only in the event of you wanting to change flight of your own volition or seeking a refund, where you may have to deal with the agent.

Saying that, book with the airline is usually recommended anyway, for various reasons.

Finally, I'm certainly not recommending the airline or itinerary. I just posted it as it a thread concerning cheap flights. ?

I think everyone on this forum knows that Airlines and travel companies don't always advertise the full price to pay. Saying "i am making it up for the sake of it" is quite funny. Nowadays you are almost expecting it.

Its great to have ATOL protection and a possible refund months later but you would still be stood at the check-in counter at Gatwick with your bags going nowhere. Stressed out looking for alternative flights that cost GBP1000 plus. 

You are wrong on the assumption airlines will always assist you in the event of some major delay or disruption. Some airlines will tell you to contact your agent and wash their hands of you. Even more so if you have booked a rock bottom airfare with some obscure online agent. British Airways do this when it suits them. China Southern do it. Other airlines do it.  

For these reasons i am wary of unknown online booking sites which in reality are run on a shoestring in rented space above a shop in Staines. So i personally would just pay the little bit extra and book it direct with Air China direct.

• Like 1

Currently got my eye on a flight coming in at £402 return via gulf air.

7 hours Heathrow to Bahrain 15 hours in Bahrain airport and then 7 hours to bkk

Return is just 14 hours.

Bahrain is an awful airport to wait so long.

Currently got my eye on a flight coming in at £402 return via gulf air.

7 hours Heathrow to Bahrain 15 hours in Bahrain airport and then 7 hours to bkk

Return is just 14 hours.

Bahrain is an awful airport to wait so long.

I’ve had a similar one before but with only 5 hours in Bahrain for £432

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app