What's your cheapest ever flight from UK to Thailand?

RickG16

.... Meaning in the last few years?  And not Inc air miles...

Just missed out on under 200GBP flying from Manchester via Stockholm. Still worked out as under 300 so all good. Was wondering how cheap is possible...... 

14 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Was that return?  Just done Bkk to LHR on EVA Air for Bht 22,000 each, return.

Mine was one way.. 22k return is v good. Was that direct?

Maybe they discounted because you are coming back 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Mine was one way.. 22k return is v good. Was that direct?

Maybe they discounted because you are coming back 

EVA only go direct. And I am now back safe & sound. No rain in UK, pissing down here !

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

Cheapest for me was on Tarom (Romanian) in 1994 which was £311

Cheapest in recent times was Oman in 2016 which was £330 think it was (couple quid either way)

Unbelievably most expensive have ever paid was £540 in the summer on Thai 23 years ago in 1995  !!   (I avoid the very peak times outbound normally)

Total of 172 Trips

(cheapest was actually £70 using ID90 tickets multiple times as brother of BA staff in the 90's at the time but cant count that here)

Edited by Chivas

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Bet that was an interesting stop over!

No it was ok fine in Bucherest I used Tarom from memory 6-7 times. Originally they used to drop down into Abu Dhabi for an hour outbound but only freight related. Bangkok Bucharest on return without a stop

I had flown twice on the Airbus they lost subsequently in a crash around 95/96. (they only owned 2 at the time)

Edited to add they nearly lost another identical airbus not long after when the pilot managed to regain control close to the ground. Am sure its on google somewhere

Edited by Chivas

The cheapest last year was just under £300 LHR to BKK. If You want the cheapest flights then you need to look and book exactly 7 weeks before you go flying out on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. The Cheapest Airlines tend to be the Chinese airlines, because of the long stopovers (the total journey time can be 36 Hours if you really want it that cheap). Best Search Site tends to be SkyScanner as they don't jack the prices up if you go back to a previous search.

• Thanks 1

Have found some bargains over the years, currently Norwegian are offering some good deals to Singapore, if you're able to nab one of these you could grab one of the many deals from there, obviously not as quick as direct.

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/07/amazing-fares-between-london-and-singapore-direct-on-norwegian-starting-at-just-93-one-way/

I've just booked Isle of Man , Manchester ,Abu Dhabi ,Bangkok £595 return in November . Could gave got Man Bangkok £435 return .

but cost me more to make first leg separate . Also you book your bags on 23kg and your covered for delays and pick luggage up at Bangkok bargain 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

I've just booked Isle of Man , Manchester ,Abu Dhabi ,Bangkok £595 return in November . Could gave got Man Bangkok £435 return .

but cost me more to make first leg separate . Also you book your bags on 23kg and your covered for delays and pick luggage up at Bangkok bargain 

I guess that will be with Etihad, yes?

In 2010 I paid £400 for a Jet Airways return flight via Mumbai. Never again. The return trip was at the time of the Icelandic volcano eruption and involved a couple of weeks waiting in Pattaya at my cost and a stopover of 13 hours in Mumbai.

• Like 1

Early 2000's I did it 3 times for £330, twice Manchester to Amsterdam and then China Airlines and the other Birmingham to Frankfurt and on with Lufthansa. That was the most cramped long haul ever been on. Fortunately going back it was a Thai 747 and I could only see about a dozen heads in my part of the cabin, stretched out and slept all the way.

25 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I guess that will be with Etihad, yes?

Yes sorry should have said . Usually fly with them as they have been the cheapest for me for more than 10 years at least . Due to me needing to travel from IOM . Tried many options but they always work out best 

get return flight for my wife bangkok to stockholm one way norwegian november

then stockholm to london gatwick one way norwegian  then coming back november

london gatwick to oslo  and then oslo to bangkok both norwegian 320 pounds return  nb hand luggage only pay for food extra but flights direct and not long waiting times for connecting flights

• Like 1

Flew a number of times on Biman back in the early/mid 80's. Believe the cost was approx. £350 but, with inflation, that would work out at about £1,000 now!!

Biman was an experience. The Dhaka to Bangkok sector was by 707 with a stop in Rangoon. Not the best flight experience. Recall having a Burmese guy sat beside me who had been working up in the north of Scotland as a travelling salesman. He hadn't been back home for 25 years and could only get a one week visa (presumably he had become a Brit) but it would take him a couple of days to travel home. So would end up only having 2/3 days back with his family.

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

Cheapest for me was on Tarom (Romanian) in 1994 which was £311

Cheapest in recent times was Oman in 2016 which was £330 think it was (couple quid either way)

Unbelievably most expensive have ever paid was £540 in the summer on Thai 23 years ago in 1995  !!   (I avoid the very peak times outbound normally)

Total of 172 Trips

(cheapest was actually £70 using ID90 tickets multiple times as brother of BA staff in the 90's at the time but cant count that here)

I once pay 350 GBP LHR-BKK on Aeroflot, held up in Moscow for a few hours plane was some noise Russian thing, this was in 1997.

Not been back to the UK for over 2 years, last time was China Eastern airline, 30 000 baht, that was from Khow san Road, at the time costs were comparable with online prices.

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

1918 in a Sopworth Camel, took 2 weeks, cost 3 shillings and sixpence.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Surely you mean the Sopwith Camel. Unless you flew it yourself, it would have required the trainer version - that had 2 seats but a much smaller fuel tank and therefore would have taken you more than 2 weeks to get you to your destination. You would have been very dependent on weather conditions - so no flying during monsoon and rainy season as the Camel could not fly high. And I don't know how you would have had to go around the Himalayas and other obstacles, such as locations where there was not much fuel. Not to mention that you would now have to be at least 118 years old . . .

• Like 2

Cheapest i had was 99 pound return London Gatwick to Phuket with Monarch in 1997.

Found it on teletext, prices started at 499 pounds but i booked paid and flew all within 24 hours, bit of a rush but for that price whats a bit of rushing about.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If anyone is looking for cheap flights for Christmas this year

Screenshot_20180709-090151.thumb.jpg.0c9e4bc38384e585324709dae65faf59.jpg

A little off topic, but in regards to Beijing, the airport is no fun, but the security/immigration ladies are a hoot (good fun). 

I flew in from Toronto, the only passenger continuing on (to BKK),  and was the only passenger to go through the specific security/immigration point.   The ladies were very serious, very dry, almost robot like scary, they checked my carry-on bag, asked me to empty my pockets...no problem.   Lady #1 pats me down, and cops a feel thinking I still had something in my pocket,  speaks Chinese.  Lady #2 takes over, asked me to empty my pockets again (I turn them inside out), she crouched down, prioritized frisking my crotch and thighs,  smiled a devious little smile....and says thank you