New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes to boost South Pacific surveillance

webfact

New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes to boost South Pacific surveillance

By Charlotte Greenfield

2018-07-09T070033Z_1_LYNXMPEE680HC_RTROPTP_3_NEWZEALAND-DEFENCE-PROCUREMENT.JPG

A U.S. Navy Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft takes part in the Malta International Airshow at SmartCity Malta outside Kalkara, Malta, September 23, 2017. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi/Files

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealand has agreed to buy four Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol planes, its defence minister said on Monday, strengthening surveillance capabilities as it works to counter the rise of new powers, such as China, in the Pacific region.

New Zealand is responsible for patrol and rescue missions in a Pacific Ocean zone that is bigger than Europe and plans to step up its engagement in the South Pacific, where it is losing sway over small island nations to China.

Ron Mark said the aircraft acquired from the United States through its foreign military sales programme would cost NZ$2.34 billion ($1.6 billion), including training costs, and become operational in 2023.

New Zealand's military had been looking to replace its ageing P-3 Orion fleet, and the upgrade pulls it in line with the capabilities of its Five Eyes intelligence-sharing partners - Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.

"Maintaining maritime patrol capacity is essential for new Zealand’s national security and for our ability to contribute to global security efforts," Mark told reporters.

The news followed Friday's release of a defence policy statement warning that China's rising influence in the South Pacific could undermine regional stability.

It also alluded to tension in the contested South China Sea, which Beijing largely claims as its own, in the face of competing claims from several Southeast Asian nations.

Acting Prime Minister Winston Peters said the report had drawn a complaint from China.

"The Chinese have made clear to our ambassador in Beijing their concerns about that, as their ambassador here as made her concerns known to Foreign Affairs," he told reporters.

The Chinese embassy in Wellington did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment. New Zealand's foreign ministry said it had been in touch with Chinese diplomats.

"New Zealand and China have a mature and resilient relationship and are able to discuss a range of foreign policy and national security topics including where we have different views," a foreign ministry spokeswoman said.

FITS WITH FIVE EYES

The Poseidon, widely considered the world's most advanced aircraft in anti-submarine warfare and its purchase signals New Zealand's readiness to help its allies in countering China in the South China Sea, analysts said.

"As a defence partner, you need assets. It is no good saying that you uphold the international rules-based order, you need something that will be useful for Australia and the United States," said Euan Graham, a defence policy expert at Sydney's Lowy Institute.

"The most obvious way is to have the same system, the P-8."

Australia has committed to buy 15 Poseidon planes to replace its Orion aircraft, set to be withdrawn from service next year. Boeing says 85 Poseidons now operate worldwide.

Last month, South Korea said it would buy the Poseidon, as it strengthens anti-submarine capabilities against the threat from neighbouring North Korea's submarine-launched ballistic missiles.

Mark said New Zealand could consider more purchases of maritime surveillance technology as part of a review due by year-end.

"The complementary capability will consider smaller manned aircraft, remotely piloted aircraft systems or satellites, for additional maritime surveillance tasks," he said.

($1=1.4622 New Zealand dollars)

(Reporting by Charlotte Greenfield in WELLINGTON; Jamie Freed in SINGAPORE and Colin Packham in SYDNEY; Editing by Clarence Fernandez and Darren Schuettler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-09
  • Like 1

I'm puzzled. So if they find a submarine or such where it shouldn't be, what are they going to do about it? No navy to speak of ( I think they have a couple of frigates if they can find enough sailors to man them ) and no attack planes.

Perhaps they will send a strongly worded letter of protest to the government responsible.

The news followed Friday's release of a defence policy statement warning that China's rising influence in the South Pacific could undermine regional stability.

If Trump decides to withdraw from protecting NZ because they don't spend enough on defence, NZ might as well put up a sign saying WELCOME in Chinese.

I'm thinking that perhaps the Wellington mob think buying a few planes from the US is enough to keep Trump sweet.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If Trump decides to withdraw from protecting NZ because they don't spend enough on defence, NZ might as well put up a sign saying WELCOME in Chinese.

Chinese already account for nearly 10% of Auckland's population. ?

13 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Yes, and they've put the price of accommodation above the ability of poorer New Zealanders to buy. Something was allowed to go very wrong during Key's time as PM.

I envy Thailand not allowing foreigners to buy land.

BTW, they are welcome to Auckland. I hate the place. The traffic is barking.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

9 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Yes, it is true, we were invaded more than 10 years ago. China does not carry out war conventionally, and never has. It carries out war through channeled direction of population and resource. 

It did this in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, South Korea, North Korea and Japan.  time will tell if it attempts its unconventional war tactics on the USA and orders a boycott of American products on the mainland, or claims "tit for tat" and bans American products all out.

They do own large amounts of land and housing in NZ, and are buying up our farm land, creating their own dairy companies with their own workers largely insulated from our economy. I love the HK people, but have a hard time accepting a culture which refuses to change itself to blend with my own culture and instead tries to breed me out.

48 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

Yes, it is true, we were invaded more than 10 years ago. China does not carry out war conventionally, and never has. It carries out war through channeled direction of population and resource. 

It did this in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, South Korea, North Korea and Japan.  time will tell if it attempts its unconventional war tactics on the USA and orders a boycott of American products on the mainland, or claims "tit for tat" and bans American products all out.

They do own large amounts of land and housing in NZ, and are buying up our farm land, creating their own dairy companies with their own workers largely insulated from our economy. I love the HK people, but have a hard time accepting a culture which refuses to change itself to blend with my own culture and instead tries to breed me out.

lol. The  East  runs  West  and the  West  runs  East. Is  it   domination  or  opportunation?  I  like  coffee  anyway.?

53 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

We're getting a taste of what our own ancestors did to aboriginal cultures all over the world.

Abo.jpg

• Like 2

I despair. So we find a Chinese, or a Thai (hahahaha) or an Indian, Russian, Samoan - or whatever - submarine. What are we going to do then? Enlist Capt. Mannering?

There is no way any country in the world would ever come to our defence. It's just a joke. 

Heed the words on David Longey.

He had balls. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm puzzled. So if they find a submarine or such where it shouldn't be, what are they going to do about it? No navy to speak of ( I think they have a couple of frigates if they can find enough sailors to man them ) and no attack planes.

Perhaps they will send a strongly worded letter of protest to the government responsible.

I'm thinking that perhaps the Wellington mob think buying a few planes from the US is enough to keep Trump sweet.

These P-8's can pack a punch:

5 internal and 6 external stations for AGM-84H/K, SLAM-ER, AGM-84 Harpoon, Mark 54 torpedo, missiles, mines, torpedoes, bombs and a High Altitude Anti-Submarine Warfare Weapon System.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_P-8_Poseidon#Specifications_(P-8A)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ is not a NATO member. It can spend as little or as much as it chooses for defense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

That's about to change.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/25/new-zealand-property-ban-to-take-effect-on-foreign-buyers.html

38 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Used to belong to SEATO; don't know if they still do.

SEATO is history... it died a natural death in 1977 after 23 years of continual failure to counter the threat that Communism posed to US interests in Southeast Asia.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 3:59 PM, observer90210 said:

Oh dear...these look really noisy !....I feel sorry for the NZlanders living near the airfield where these birds will fly in and out of their nests !!

They ‘look really noisy’? But aren’t the decals and paint job sounding good? More to the point is about the most they can do is a strongly worded leaflet campaign to any transgressors of territorial waters.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

They ‘look really noisy’? But aren’t the decals and paint job sounding good? More to the point is about the most they can do is a strongly worded leaflet campaign to any transgressors of territorial waters.

well, they are running with those CFM High Bypass TurboFans, so the noise won't be relatively bad ( as in KC-135s etc)

1 hour ago, Sir Swagman said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1047333-new-zealand-to-buy-boeing-p-8-patrol-planes-to-boost-south-pacific-surveillance/?tab=comments#comment-13156872