I want to open a (cheap) (Thai) steak restaurant, any idea ?

GSFGSF

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I gave up with buying beef at our local markets. It`s mostly buffalo meat and so tough that it`s probably possible to sole shoes with it. I do miss a nice tender piece of lamb, but too expensive here in Thailand.

?? Agree. Thai food, in the main, is wonderful, but Thai "beef" is the pitts. First thing I do when I get to Singapore or Malaysia or Indonesia is have some decent beef (usually imported from Oz). 

Thai beef is truly appalling stuff and no wonder Thais barely eat any "beef". 

Screenshot_20180710-091819.jpg

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recommend a South African restaurant and Take-away:

Serve a "Walkie-Talkie", a chicken head, 2 chicken legs on a bed of rice or potatoe mash and a thick peri-peri sauce (chili).

You can do for less than 30 Baht and no experience involved.

Very popular in RSA townships.

And, you might get famous in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stud858 said:

Beef selling for 250 baht a kilo at Market in Pattaya.  Anybody getting it cheaper?  I cut it thinly and set it in front of fan after marinating.in one day,  jerky. 

And at least half the weight gone ?, so 500 Baht/ kg or more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

Expensive or cheap chicken steak are exactly the same. Agree with you about beef and maybe pork.

1 - Around BKK or maybe Pattaya, but easier to find a location without cheap steak around BKK, they are everywhere in Pattaya.

2 - No competition where I will open, only Thai food.

3 - I manage and control everything, Thai listen, apply or leave, I am a control freak and the Thai around know me: ip cam on their head and hands 24 hours.

4 - Mostly Thai but of course foreigners also eat these cheap steak (chicken if the foreigner is not a complete idiot, because of course cheap beef is $hit and pork if a dirty piece that only Thai can enjoy).

5 - will rent a shop for 10000 thb / month

Nobody needs a strong business plan to open a small restaurant, only experience and a brain is enough.

Thank you so much for your reply.

And don't forget the not so sharp knife in Mom's kitchen drawer!

• Haha 1

I was going to reply, about washing the dishes, but someone beat me to it. Making and selling the food is the easy part, but washing, cleaning up is the hard part, but maybe you dont plan on cleaning anything? Yes, maybe a Thai will accept everything dirty, but a farang wont. Your partner will leave in the first month, so have fun!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

Thai eat steak for 49 tho t0 69 thb in ALL supermarket food courts

did you ever have a close look at this rubbish? If you go for Thai clients ONLY that'd be o.k.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

Expensive or cheap chicken steak are exactly the same. Agree with you about beef and maybe pork.

1 - Around BKK or maybe Pattaya, but easier to find a location without cheap steak around BKK, they are everywhere in Pattaya.

2 - No competition where I will open, only Thai food.

3 - I manage and control everything, Thai listen, apply or leave, I am a control freak and the Thai around know me: ip cam on their head and hands 24 hours.

4 - Mostly Thai but of course foreigners also eat these cheap steak (chicken if the foreigner is not a complete idiot, because of course cheap beef is $hit and pork if a dirty piece that only Thai can enjoy).

5 - will rent a shop for 10000 thb / month

Nobody needs a strong business plan to open a small restaurant, only experience and a brain is enough.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Are you related to a carabao? All the time you talked about steak without a qualification and that normally means beef and nothing else! Now you talk about junk food like chicken and pork! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fakename said:

I was going to reply, about washing the dishes, but someone beat me to it. Making and selling the food is the easy part, but washing, cleaning up is the hard part, but maybe you dont plan on cleaning anything? Yes, maybe a Thai will accept everything dirty, but a farang wont. Your partner will leave in the first month, so have fun!

And who buys the meat and side dishes?

• Haha 1

There's good beef to be had in Thailand, even Thai beef...

So that would be my suggestion to the OP; before you do anything make sure you have a firm understanding of beef in Thailand. Provenance, prices, availability etc. Some of the cheaper cuts (brisket for instance) can be super nice if cooked in a certain way and served sliced. Why not experiment with 'sous vide' cooking method? It's actually a method that can really help you streamline your cooking process as the meat needs only little time on the grill once removed from the sous vide bath.

Thai beef is often tough but can be tenderised in a variety of ways. As mentioned before, taste is often quite good!

Perhaps offer the Aussie, US stuff as a premium?

Sides are pretty much always done very badly here (mash, veg, sauces), so there's your opportunity to set yourself apart from the rest.

Other than that I would recommend eating at all similar restaurants in your area. See what they do right and what they do wrong. It will help you formulate your offering and possibly your USP's.

Thai restaurants are good for what they are, but one thing you'll never ever get in a Thai restaurants: a caring host who wants to look after you. I sometimes go to a French restaurant with a very hands on owner. Such a breath of fresh air to have someone around that gives a sh*t whether you're having a good time or not. In Thailand, you normally get a few Thai kids hovering around your table, if they're not too busy on their phone. You've got to set the example, leave it to them and service levels will slip, no doubt.

Once you're trading, keep the place clean (not just the floor) to have a one-up on the competition. Be different and remove the clutter from your premises before it accumulates. 

Labour is cheap here so consider making most of the side dishes yourselves. Better margins and better quality. There's really no excuse to be lazy and use Makro for everything.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Denim said:

Best advice ..... don't do it.

If you are doing it for a hobby or to keep yourself busy and don't mind about not making any profit ....then go ahead.

But if you are doing it with a mind to make money ...forget it.

If you are doing it where there are many foreigners it won't work unless you can offer alcohol and eye candy.

If you do it where you are relying on Thai customers , expect an ok first week while locals check it out then death.

I have seen scores of steakhouse go bust within 6 months.

If you absolutely must try selling food stick to what sells. Noodles , khao man by , khao moo deng , phat Thai , khao ka moo etc.

If you do just this in the right place at the right time and make it aroy dee you might do well.

But steak business is not known to be easy because this is Thailand and poor Thai people like what they are familiar with.

and keep in mind that if your restaurant does well, and I hope it does, a Thai will open another one nearby.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Agree with this. Have purchased good thai  beef on a few occasions - mainly sirloin. I just cook them as I would any beef. By that I mean simply with oil, salt and pepper. Three minutes each side in a hot pan and finished off in the oven for the required time based on thickness. Let it rest properly and it is acceptable.

I have seen some local beef that a dog would struggle to eat. Finding a good supplier is the key to most things.

That is what I would be saying to the OP. Consistency is important in the food game. Consistency in price, quality and taste. Finding a good, consistent supplier is the one of the important starting points.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

So that would be my suggestion to the OP; before you do anything make sure you have a firm understanding of beef in Thailand. Provenance, prices, availability etc. Some of the cheaper cuts (brisket for instance) can be super nice if cooked in a certain way and served sliced. Why not experiment with 'sous vide' cooking method? It's actually a method that can really help you streamline your cooking process as the meat needs only little time on the grill once removed from the sous vide bath.

Perhaps offer the Aussie, US stuff as a premium?

Sides are pretty much always done very badly here (mash, veg, sauces), so there's your opportunity to set yourself apart from the rest.

Other than that I would recommend eating at all similar restaurants in your area. See what they do right and what they do wrong. It will help you formulate your offering and possibly your USP's.

Thai restaurants are good for what they are, but one thing you'll never ever get in a Thai restaurants: a caring host who wants to look after you. I sometimes go to a French restaurant with a very hands on owner. Such a breath of fresh air to have someone around that gives a sh*t whether you're having a good time or not. In Thailand, you normally get a few Thai kids hovering around your table, if they're not too busy on their phone. You've got to set the example, leave it to them and service levels will slip, no doubt.

Once you're trading, keep the place clean (not just the floor) to have a one-up on the competition. Be different and remove the clutter from your premises before it accumulates. 

This is sound advice given the OP's stated objectives and constraints. 

The sousvide cooking method could be particularly helpful. There's a decent place doing sousvide called "Trust Me I'm Chef" https://www.facebook.com/trustmeImchefkhun/

As for the quality of Thai beef, I suppose it's highly subjective, but I can't agree that any Thai beef I've had anywhere in the country in my 30 years has been quality. 

I do agree that you can make lower quality beef reasonably edible if cooked properly. And, most Thais have no idea that flash cooking or rapid high heat cooking without tenderizing is not appropriate to get a soft, succulent piece of meat. 

• Like 1

Give it a shot..forget the Naysayers. If you plan to go on a business , the best thing to do is to do it and burn the boat.

remember Ray Kroc work for 30 years before he found McDonalds brothers.Do a research,the most important thingsin Bkk are price, you have to compete with other cheap food vendors. Btw are you plan to do business with your Thai Woman ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

In all due respect you came on here  asking questions that made you appear clueless. You receive some good advise that you don't like because it doesn't jive with your expectations. Now you are coming across as the smartest guy in the room. If that's the case why are you asking people here for advise. I have run businesses all my life and bought an newly established café/guesthouse in Pattaya Central in a great location on Pattaya Tai. We offer a mixed menu of American, Thai and a nice breakfast menu. We get great reviews on Trip Advisor and other local publications. I don't work the business, my GF does and works her ass off 7 days a week. At the end of the day she does an out standing job and averaging out over the year she might make 20k/month. By the hour she makes just a little more than staff that works 8 hours per day. If the café had to stand only forget it. With income from the rooms it makes for a nice income for her as staff/utilities are shared by both the café and rooms. The place is brand new. The guy I bought it from refurbished it top to bottom very tastefully but between him and his Thai gf they were too lazy to make it happen and like you made unrealistic assumptions. We pay 22K/month rent for café and eight rooms that average 95% high season, 75-80% low season. The café drops off 70% low season as do all the restaurants in the area. We have many Thai customers but if we had to rely only on them the business would bust. I cant even imagine surviving with the business model you describe unless your ok with living on 10K/month and sleeping on a cot in the kitchen with your staff. Better off with a moto with a side cart all night on walking street. If I had to do it again I wouldn't, The GF has a brutally hard job.

The only interesting figure is the ROI.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I agree with you, OP. Thais do eat steak for those prices, but, from a Westerner perspective, that meat is terrible quality. Thai beef (even Thai French) is the worst I've had in any country. And, Thais generally don't know how to cook it western tastes. 

To answer your questions about business plan, it would help to know alot more detail you are considering such as:

1. Location (province, urban vs rural?) 

2. Competition (other similar restaurants?) 

3. Management (will you manage or perhaps leave it to Thai lady) 

4. Target customer profile (farang/age, Thai/age) 

5. Property (established already or will build) 

It's not easy to really say much of anything useful without seeing a draft business plan. There are a few farangs who have been wildly successful in Thailand in Food & Beverage. The Wishbeer guys are a great example. A few years ago when they were putting their business plan together, they did some research on thr forums. You might be able to search and find the forum topics. 

Good luck 

And I bet the members of this forum would have said   "you want to charge 400 baht for a small beer?!?  you are mad, you'll never sell at those prices!  the Thai's won't pay that much!  etc etc  and yet Wish Beer is packed (with the notable absence of anyone in their 60's or above).

OP - I think it's a great idea, but you will need a good Thai partner (your wife maybe) to operate the place and you will need a good Thai social media marketer.  It would also be good if you can come up with some sort of gimmick, such as your own special sauces or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, poanoi said:

i happily pay 49 baht for the bearnaise alone,

only once in 13 years here did i get to eat a nice bearnaise,

and the owner of that resturant changed chef asap so next time i went there,

sauce wasnt nice any more and i didnt return a 3rd time

knorr powder bearnaise would be an improvement over almost every sauce here

You need to go to some better restaurants.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, catman20 said:

best idea would be not to bother, so many people here have tried to make a living only to fail and lose all of there money. DONT DO IT !

That's the name of the game. You may fail once, or twice, but it's the risk takers who end up making it, not guys like you... 

• Like 1

don't under estimate customer service, thais do love a good customer service that ask how things are, it really does make people spread the word around being treated like a king in low priced restaurant.

Unlimited soda seems to be a good option along with unlimited salad bar

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I gave up with buying beef at our local markets. It`s mostly buffalo meat and so tough that it`s probably possible to sole shoes with it. I do miss a nice tender piece of lamb, but too expensive here in Thailand.

At times the market on nernplabwan can have suspicious looking beef and on those times I walk away but early on the day the streaky redder fresher looking meat cuts like butter for me.  Not the cleanest of environments but roast or goulasching it for two hours makes it safe and fall apart tender. 

Edited by stud858
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, moontang said:

like I tell all the people, who want to open a mex restaurant...do pork tacos..just like they do in mexico.  Do pork steak and fries...otherwise, you are just collecting taxes.  Sunrise pays huge taxes to recreate taco bell ...And both still suck....pork is plentiful.

Taco Bell are officially opening in Bangkok this year.