I want to open a (cheap) (Thai) steak restaurant, any idea ?

GSFGSF

3 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

I think SF is a bit more expensive, but yes, quite cheap overall.

Reviews are terrible though. Like really really bad.

SF is a rip off joint.

Low prices yes; but very small meat portions, 5 french fries, and a few pieces of lettuce in a pile.

Truly the best bang for the buck for portions/freshness I think is Sizzler.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

One of the first pieces of advice given is the most important - dont, but if you must - dont rent. If somehow you are successful, that 10,000 baht will quickly increase to 15,000 or 20,000.  If you buy a townhouse sleeping/family rooms upstairs and the restaurant below, then you have a chance long term. And if food doesnt work out, maybe try hairdressing or somemthing else in high demand.  Thai landlords see a successful business as reason to increase rent - and they will do without a second thought. Many many stories to prove this - including several of my wife's family - yes they do it to Thais as well.  Some close after 6 months because the rent has been doubled. 

Actually most leases lock in the rent for the first three years and even spell out how much it can increase in years 4 and 7. In my case that was 10%or 3% per year which was ok. After the first three years though you are correct, the landlord can throw you under the bus. Problem with buying most shops is they are crazy overpriced and if you want to leave not easy to sell. Rents would yield maybe 3% so not a good deal at all as long term asset. The best way to make money is buy right a business from a distressed owner, get it up and showing a good profit and flip it. I have been offered 50% more than I paid but intend to list it in October when there are more fish in the water. Paying to much rent and especially yearly key money payments are business killers. I was fortunate in that the business I bought the price was considerably less than the guy I bought from paid to get the work done 6 months earlier. As so often happens he had to pull a runner once he figured out his beautiful 18 year old gf was lazy as hell with zero personality to match. He had done a good job of setting up the hosting sites and hand many reservations and reviews. The café also had many return customers. The guy did everything right except picking his date, Lol.

• Haha 1

A few of these places have opened near me (outskirts of bangkok) in recent months, a bit more character than say sante fe, but I'd be worried about saturation, seem to have more 69baht steak houses than 7/11s. Agree on the rent issues, if popular your landlord may hike it up dramatically, limit your investment to things you can pick up and move to another premise  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Actually most leases lock in the rent for the first three years and even spell out how much it can increase in years 4 and 7. In my case that was 10%or 3% per year which was ok. After the first three years though you are correct, the landlord can throw you under the bus. Problem with buying most shops is they are crazy overpriced and if you want to leave not easy to sell. Rents would yield maybe 3% so not a good deal at all as long term asset. The best way to make money is buy right a business from a distressed owner, get it up and showing a good profit and flip it. I have been offered 50% more than I paid but intend to list it in October when there are more fish in the water. Paying to much rent and especially yearly key money payments are business killers. I was fortunate in that the business I bought the price was considerably less than the guy I bought from paid to get the work done 6 months earlier. As so often happens he had to pull a runner once he figured out his beautiful 18 year old gf was lazy as hell with zero personality to match. He had done a good job of setting up the hosting sites and hand many reservations and reviews. The café also had many return customers. The guy did everything right except picking his date, Lol.

Agree about buying out a failed 'farang' operation and then making it good and then selling it - smart thinking as a farang is only likely to be able to sell it to another farang. 

All wife's family have shops and all but one have bought their current place because rents went up - I guess it depends on who and where, but they had 6 months and 12 months deals - none had a 3 year deal - and wife has never heard of that long a deal.  Bangkok, Roi Et, and Chiang Mai.  But that doesnt mean it doesnt happen in some markets.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You are right.  Just a weak male who would fold under a Thai girl saying: Get me a business.

Come on guys stop being the weak western male.

On the big picture, it is why so many of these places fail.

And I do not agree that the opportunity is there.  Plenty of these places in BKK and Pattaya over kill.

The problem is farang think they can take a bar girl used to laying on her back and eat bonbons all day then have her actually have to add and subtract,  think and converse and plan. Ain't never going to happen. Thing is you'll never know till you put her in the situation. There are people here that want to better themselves, you wont find them in a bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mekko said:

A few of these places have opened near me (outskirts of bangkok) in recent months, a bit more character than say sante fe, but I'd be worried about saturation, seem to have more 69baht steak houses than 7/11s. Agree on the rent issues, if popular your landlord may hike it up dramatically, limit your investment to things you can pick up and move to another premise  

Steak houses would seem to be more of a niche market, sort of like Mexican restaurants.  Thai's are not huge steak eaters.  And the folks who do love steak--like myself--would prefer to pay 400 bt+ for quality cuts.  Thais seem to love Japanese food and even that market is saturated. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Agree about buying out a failed 'farang' operation and then making it good and then selling it - smart thinking as a farang is only likely to be able to sell it to another farang. 

All wife's family have shops and all but one have bought their current place because rents went up - I guess it depends on who and where, but they had 6 months and 12 months deals - none had a 3 year deal - and wife has never heard of that long a deal.  Bangkok, Roi Et, and Chiang Mai.  But that doesnt mean it doesnt happen in some markets.  

Pattaya typical 3+3 or 3+3+3 but as I understand it can only be recorded by law for 3 years, thats the problem

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Steak houses would seem to be more of a niche market, sort of like Mexican restaurants.  Thai's are not huge steak eaters.  And the folks who do love steak--like myself--would prefer to pay 400 bt+ for quality cuts.  Thais seem to love Japanese food and even that market is saturated. 

Exactly, if I had to eat 49 baht steak I would opt for Thai or chicken. Pattaya only has about half a dozen good steak joints. I live half the year in Brazil where they have the real deal where you flip your card up and they bring around different cuts sliced at your table with killer salad bar. They do great business because there are many wealthy Brazilians, don't know if you can get people to come off 2500baht pp for the best, if so you would have a monopoly for awhile at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Exactly, if I had to eat 49 baht steak I would opt for Thai or chicken. Pattaya only has about half a dozen good steak joints. I live half the year in Brazil where they have the real deal where you flip your card up and they bring around different cuts sliced at your table with killer salad bar. They do great business because there are many wealthy Brazilians, don't know if you can get people to come off 2500baht pp for the best, if so you would have a monopoly for awhile at least.

A few nice places like that around Sukhumvit and Silom.  The one opposite Holiday in on Sukhumvit road has a good spread of skewed meats and seafood for about 1800 baht from memory.. Salads are tasty and fresh. Can't remember it's name, but it is a small place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

I think the lease has to be registered (and will be taxed) if it's 3+, hence the 3+3+3+3 thing. Very curious how a landlord can stiff you once the first 3 years are done. Wouldn't a typical lease contract stipulate the rent increase after the first 3 year block?

How do they do it?

Edited by Bassosa

27 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

The problem is farang think they can take a bar girl used to laying on her back and eat bonbons all day then have her actually have to add and subtract,  think and converse and plan. Ain't never going to happen. Thing is you'll never know till you put her in the situation. There are people here that want to better themselves, you wont find them in a bar.

Yes, you will find them everywhere as "bettering one self" here and every place else 99% means more money in the bank.

I do not see many people here wanting to attend self improvement seminars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bassosa said:

Yes I referred to that above. You are also correct about recording the lease and paying the tax. My landlord actually has us deduct the tax from rent each month and we have accountant pay it. Like it because I know it gets paid. Another thing currently is the Government has once again lost it's collective wits and decided to shut down 90% of the hotels in the country until they conform to hotels like Hilton which were design/permitted/built as hotels. Insane and never going to happen but it has freehold owners freaking out so I don't think they are as opt to be dumping good tenants.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

You are right.  Just a weak male who would fold under a Thai girl saying: Get me a business.

Come on guys stop being the weak western male.

On the big picture, it is why so many of these places fail.

And I do not agree that the opportunity is there.  Plenty of these places in BKK and Pattaya over kill.

1,000s of Thais try this and fail, for every foreigner that tries it and fails.

Are they all weak Thai males?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mekko said:

You will lose most of your regular customers if you need to change location and it will take time for business to pick up again... If it does

A restaurant is not very easy to relocate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

SF is a rip off joint.

Low prices yes; but very small meat portions, 5 french fries, and a few pieces of lettuce in a pile.

Truly the best bang for the buck for portions/freshness I think is Sizzler.

Sizzler meat quality is crap tho..... 

It doesn't even look like meat when you cut it open, texture just  looks wrong somehow 

The salad and soups are good tho

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't understand why he leaves haha reaction to every post that makes sense. I bet he'll lol at this one too.

It's because he has smartest guy in the room syndrome. Very lethal when trying to learn anything, especially as unforgiving as business in LOS. I just don't understand him coming on here seeking information about business and then coming off like a know it all. If he was the least bit intelligent he would know this would be the last place to seek out any worthwhile information on running a successful business. Failed business information I can understand, Lol

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1,000s of Thais try this and fail, for every foreigner that tries it and fails.

Are they all weak Thai males?

Yes, if a female is telling them what they want and what to do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most people are failures in life.

But as long as it's warm, I can get drunk every day and have a 20-year-old stay over now and again, I can live with failure.

Steakhouses near me seem to last a month then gone.

(normally large pork, chicken or fish steaks, bite of salad, half a dozen chips) 

Exactly.

If failure is having a good time and enjoying the company of a young lady, then I guess I am a failure.

Thank God because all the "successful people" I know in my home country are truly miserable.....

Carpe Diem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Exactly.

If failure is having a good time and enjoying the company of a young lady, then I guess I am a failure.

Thank God because all the "successful people" I know in my home country are truly miserable.....

Carpe Diem.

How do you know?

I know I am miserable back home, but that doesn't mean all the friends I left and have families and good jobs are miserable too.

Maybe it makes you feel better to think they are miserable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

How do you know?

I know I am miserable back home, but that doesn't mean all the friends I left and have families and good jobs are miserable too.

Maybe it makes you feel better to think they are miserable?

Back home in Serbia? or back home in Canada?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

Thank you, but Thai know nothing about sauces, only a $hit Thai mayonnaise and ketchup.

But yes, I could add some sauce that nobody knows in this country ?

I ve never seen garlic mayonaise in thailand, in europe we all love it.

And a steak for 49 baht i would pass since it's too cheap...but hey i'm not thai...i would like a good doner kebab for 150 on the go or 200 inside.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Sizzler meat quality is crap tho..... 

It doesn't even look like meat when you cut it open, texture just  looks wrong somehow 

The salad and soups are good tho

That's why I will only have a fish lunch special there and a burger (I think their burger is pretty good).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

I ve never seen garlic mayonaise in thailand, in europe we all love it.

And a steak for 49 baht i would pass since it's too cheap...but hey i'm not thai...i would like a good doner kebab for 150 on the go or 200 inside.

In bkk they usually sell the small ones for 50 or 60

You need to eat 2-3 of them to hit the spot

A 49thb chicken steak is likely possible because they're very thin cut and they won't be paying the supermarket prices for their chicken and pork either

Franchises can afford to make huge orders direct from the source and cut out all the middle men to drastically lower their overheads

I doubt you can compete with that and make enough money to make the hassle worthwhile

Edited by Ks45672
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Back home in Serbia? or back home in Canada?

Canada.

Serbia is more like Thailand. Everyone knows everyone and you don't feel isolated and always have company.

This is why I got so depressed with "mind your own business" mentality.

If people back home have no friends, don't sleep with 20 year old girls, don't lounge on beaches, can't stay in cheap resorts and don't have wives that clip their nails, that doesn't mean they are depressed......

wait.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

A 49thb chicken steak is likely possible because they're very thin cut and they won't be paying the supermarket prices for their chicken and pork either

The ones I usually have are so big, I can hardly eat them in one sitting.

Wish they would give me more chips and salad, with a smaller steak.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If you buy good quality meat sauce is not needed.  Some of the top steak houses in the world have no sauce.

I agree. There are a few South American (Argentinian, Brazilian) steakhouses in Bangkok. Generally no sauce, especially for beautiful meat like beef and lamb. 

Where I would make an exception is in the case of what is called French Dip in North America. The "au jus" is great. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The ones I usually have are so big, I can hardly eat them in one sitting.

Wish they would give me more chips and salad, with a smaller steak.

The beef steaks I usually eat are imported from oz 

About 250gram but they cost 350+ depending on the venue

You can't expect too much for 49thb lol

• Like 1