Public Photography Assailed by US Embassy Bangkok

TonyClifton

Last Thursday I had some Citizen business at the US Embassy in Bangkok.  I entered sans mobile, Blue Tooth headsets, and water.  You cannot take water inside.  You can take papers, yourself and your wallet.  They only allow the wallet as it would be difficult to extract an exorbitant notary fee without it.

I retrieved all my items as I exited.  When I got to the street I thought I might snap a picture of the front of the embassy to let the wife know the mission was completed.

Whistles.  And then more whistles until I was within breath distance of Thai Security Guard who spoke very good English.

"You cannot take pictures," he said.  "I assure you I can, and I just did," I said.  "It's against our policy," he said. 

I reminded him that I was standing 1 foot from Wireless Road on the sidewalk.  I then told him I had a policy as well.  My policy says that while standing on a public sidewalk, I can take a picture of anything I can see, including the front entrance of the United States Embassy in Bangkok.

I also reminded him of my other policy which was to ignore private citizens who think they can tell another Citizen what to do.  The Thai guard wanted me to give him my phone.  I told him to go to hell.  He told me to erase the picture.  I told him no chance.  

We have the same problem in America with government entities who do not know the law.  The Embassy's policy means nothing to me.  What have other's experienced in Thailand?

• Thanks 1