Tham Luang cave: Psychiatrist suggests path to recovery for footballers

webfact

I sincerely don't think much needs to be done. Just let them all have a warm shower and a bowl of tom yam. Less is more in my opinion, but we all know that aint gonna happen, there are political points to be scored here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

The 'charges to be laid' (re the coach) has since been labelled as fake news.  Very unethical and even more important very unfair. 

A report was made in the Sydney papers and online this morning about this as well.

The Thais are doing a great job and making some hard decisions. What do you think; the corporate guys (Bangkok Politicians) may be coming in to try and take some of the kudos. I saw it reported in the Sydney Morning Herald that a couple were interfering? 

However sadder than this was the ferry deaths which received little to no overseas press coverage. I saw the pictures of the bodies being retrieved.

Just hope they get them all out.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They should be shielded at first from critical and sensational news and social media commentary and should not be repeatedly asked to recount their personal experiences, as that would force them to relive their traumatic experience over and over again.

Absolutely right but... good luck with that ... :sad:

The media circus outside the cave gives a clear indication of what's going to happen next... I read that one thousand individuals (mostly media people) had to be evacuated when the final rescue mission started... drones were flown dangerously near a helicopter just to try and catch images... some reporters hacked their way into the army radio system and then carelessly revealed their loot for the sake of a 'scoop'... and the list goes on.

The Thai media expert who pointed out that not just the reporters are to blame but also the whole array of companies that cover and control them is 100% right, but in this field like so many others (environment, poverty, financial crime, etc), this 'dilution of responsibility' is the heart of the problem, and a defining feature of our times.

During 'phase 2', these poor kids are going to be hounded by all kinds of 'professional' media people who are about as ethical as a tiger is vegetarian. This is the world we have created. In which acts of generosity, selflessness, dedication and even heroism still exist, on an individual basis, and that's the good news. But it's definitely not the main trend, and that's an understatement.

If there were no media involved whatsoever, let's be honest, these kids would probably be slapped on the head as they came out and sent straight home. My point is that, the almost unbearable irony is that would be about 100 times better than what is actually happening and will happen to them.