Thai minister blames Chinese tour operators for Phuket boat disaster

webfact

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So, if your Boss told you to do something that would endanger your life and 100 other people, would you do it without question ??   No, your not that stupid !!

Oh, but they are!!!

And a steadfast Ambassador of "Thainess" :coffee1:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

In my mind it is better to loose a job than be responsible for the loss of so many lives.... when you take on a position of captain there comes with it RESPONSIBILITY !!!!

A captain losing his job is a major loss of face, not going to happen. Also you are aware of the absolute and manic avoidance of taking responsibility for anything that exists in Asia.

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

It is the Thai Captain of the Boat that is at fault no one else.   Don't place blame on the Chinese when it was the Thai's at fault. .   The capital of the boat is the person in charge.   Stop blaming others and not yourself.

I can see part of what Mango Bob is saying here, when a Thai is put in charge of something, police departments, banks. Immigration offices, ships etc, out comes the fancy uniforms, but most of all, the authority to do much as he likes, he is the boss and must be obeyed.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan blamed Chinese tour operators for not respecting Thai safety legislation.

"Some Chinese use Thai nominees to bring Chinese tourists in ... they did not heed warnings ... which is why this incident happened. This needs to be remedied," Prawit said.

He did not elaborate.

Bugger all to elaborate is there?

It is quite clear from my patented, pocket-sized but voluminous PDME (Politician's Doublespeak and Mispoke Eliminator that the good DPM has clearly said, "These deaths of non-Thai people has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Thai private charter vessel owners OR their local Thai operators and Thai crew OR the Thai government agencies appointed to oversee their safe management and operation."

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

It is the Thai Captain of the Boat that is at fault no one else.   Don't place blame on the Chinese when it was the Thai's at fault. .   The capital of the boat is the person in charge.   Stop blaming others and not yourself.

Captain of the boat?

The owner of the boat ultimately decided.

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The Law of the Sea: the vessel captain is ultimately and finally responsible for the safety of the vessel he is commanding and responsible for the safety of the crew and any passengers on that vessel.

End of.

The owner of the boat has yet to be asked a question as far as I can see.  Possibly he is heldup in the woods with his favorite Gik.   Thailand is an odd and dangerous place

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

Could the scenario go....Captain refuses to take the boat out so he is sacked. Then the tour operator hires another captain who is as thick as a plank of wood and he says yes no problems. This is the only reason I can think of as to why he blames the tour operator.

Sometime you have to read between the lines for thing to make sense.

The media always leave on the hook wanting more information. 

Then the sacked Captain should alert the authorities... in Theory that is. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The owner of the boat has yet to be asked a question as far as I can see.  Possibly he is heldup in the woods with his favorite Gik.   Thailand is an odd and dangerous place

Reports say it's a Thai lady who 'owns' the boat or at least majority company shareholder.  And she has been questioned by BiB. Husband is Chinese and worked on boat as a dive master. 

• Like 1

... what not Thai good Jai in this case?  A bit of blindness of....using good judgment.    Thus the same issues what can be done?  A bit hard to change a cultural behavior, so pervasive in Thai society on display daily... Let the buyers beware. 

6 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

It is the Thai Captain of the Boat that is at fault no one else.   Don't place blame on the Chinese when it was the Thai's at fault. .   The captain of the boat is the person in charge.   Stop blaming others and not yourself.

Hello! It's Thailand it's never their fault!!! Always blame Myanmar Laos or others when something goes wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

A captain losing his job is a major loss of face, not going to happen. Also you are aware of the absolute and manic avoidance of taking responsibility for anything that exists in Asia.

After residing here for a number of years I am aware of the way some people avoid taking responsibility, however I cannot condone it and until it sinks in that this kind of attitude cannot continue,  to bury my head in the sand and just say this is how it is cannot be an option.

Edited by Geoffggi

One assumes the Captain can count ( well money anyway). Example passengers licensed for 65. Passengers over that number leave the boat or the boat does not sail.

Now that is simple but according to the THAI MINISTER OF INANE STUPIDITY it is Chinese Tour Companies at fault. 

So the owner is Chinese, the Captain is under orders to flout all regulations is he ???

What a stupid statement from an equally stupid man. 

In Australia not that easy to be sacked  you get 2 verbal warnings and then 2 written warnings so if your a employee and you life is at risk you can refuse.  Also the risk of legal action and compensation would be huge if anything went wrong and if your the captin and went out and had the accident you would be liable  as would the directors of the company. As for 1 million b compensation that would pay for tranfer of the bodies and the funeral  but at least its somthomg I was expecting 0 b compensation. 

Its a different world here  life's cheap  there thinking is minute by minute?  

And there fav saying is:

I'm tired 

I'm hungry 

I go  shower 

Repeat after chorus 

7 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

After residing here for a number of years I am aware of the way some people avoid taking responsibility, however I cannot condone it and until it sinks in that this kind of attitude cannot continue,  to bury my head in the sand and just say this is how it is cannot be an option.

I agree, but that's the way it is, has been and will be for the foreseeable future.