Using a 2 Year Thai Driving Licence abroad

1 minute ago, Jonmarleesco said:

So the rental firm would rent the car without the correct documentation? In LoS, yes; in the UK, highly unlikely.

Depends if they understand what they were looking at TBH.

The only sure way to find out is to contact DVLA and ask, the gov website is not specific enough to be relied upon legally.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

So the rental firm would rent the car without the correct documentation? In LoS, yes; in the UK, highly unlikely.

There are about 195 countries and most of them issue their own specific driving license. Very well possible that the person working at the car rental company for minimum wage is not aware of the minor differences of a country's driving licenses.

Edited by jackdd

Seems clear to me. If I'm looking to see whether I can drive in another country I look at their requirements.  The DVLA website states that you need a full driving licence and if its not a UK licence it must be 'full and valid for 12 months'. There are no 'but see here's', no other conditions mentioned. Why should you not be able to rely on that?  If you do write to them and they say you can't use your Thai licence, please ask them to provide the regulation that states you can't.  I'd like to see that and if it exists, it should be on their website.

Edited by KhaoYai

In addition to the Thai licence you will also need an international driving permit easily obtained from the Thai driving licence centre. 

500baht, NO tests, NO hassle. Just a photo.

That was my story from a couple of years back.

4 hours ago, Taffythai65 said:

Simple answer yes.

All those saying 'no' obviously have never used a Thai licence  to hire a car in the UK. And if anyone is tight, regarding laws, it's the UK. 

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not correct. The 2 year license is a temporary license, therefor not allowed to be used abroad.

So Steveni started the stampede of bad info? And it's 12 months for a 'temporary licence'. It is not a 'provisional licence' so therefore acceptable in the UK.

13 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think you might have mis-read or been confused by some posts.

A 2 year licence is not a valid licence to drive in the U.K. It is a temporary licence.

You can drive in the U.K with a full 5 year Thai licence and hire cars with a 5 year licence.

considering the test you have to take in thailand to get a car licence, the fact that you can use this in the UK to hire a car, is quite frankly, frightening.   I fear for the safety of the UK drivers.  This should not be allowable.  When you consider the amount of lessons it takes to get a licence in the UK, not to mention the exams, tests, etc, the fact that a Thai can hire a car there on a Thai licence is just laughable, and as I say, dangerous for the UK road users.

I think it requires you to be able to reach the pedals.......a little humor.  

Good luck tonight or lets say wee wee morning at World Cup..

fortunately us Americans have the best seat on the couch....

ie out before it started

4 hours ago, Rally123 said:

And it's 12 months for a 'temporary licence'. It is not a 'provisional licence' so therefore acceptable in the UK.

The 12 months licence stopped a while back - they're 2 years now. But I agree, they are a full licence and a full and valid licence with at least 12 months validity is all that is asked for on the DVLA website - no mention of an IDP.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

considering the test you have to take in thailand to get a car licence, the fact that you can use this in the UK to hire a car, is quite frankly, frightening.   I fear for the safety of the UK drivers.  This should not be allowable.  When you consider the amount of lessons it takes to get a licence in the UK, not to mention the exams, tests, etc, the fact that a Thai can hire a car there on a Thai licence is just laughable, and as I say, dangerous for the UK road users.

Ha Ha......my ex passed her test in Bangkok and was really proud of herself because she refused the offer of things being 'smoothed out' by a 1000 baht note.  When she got to the UK it took 120 hours of professional tuition to get her a UK licence ?.

My FIL tried to hire a car in the UK using his Thai DL. 

The hire company would not allow him, nor would they insure him due to him having a Thai DL. 

He also had an IDL but they would not insure him on that either. 

I sent National Car Rental in the US a copy of my 2 year Thai DL (clearly marked temporary) and I received this email:

"Thank you for reaching back out to me. If the license is in English, you will not need to present a international drivers permit. The license you attached is okay to rent with in the US without a international permit as it is in English. As always, feel free to reach back out to me with any additional questions or concerns."

• Like 1

• 3 months later...