Australian consular services - appointments now necessary

Just a heads-up for Australians seeking consular services such as income stat decs. As of July 4, they now have an appointment system in place. For stat decs it's a 15-minute choice of times from 8:30 am until 3:15 pm. Just go to the Embassy website and click on a time. It's wide open all days, so there's not going to be any stress about getting an appointment on any particular day. For example, I just checked today's schedule and there are still 6 appointments available from 2 pm until 3:15 pm. That could also be because no one is aware of the appointment system yet. I just happened to find out by accident when I called the Embassy, otherwise, I would have turned up unaware.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I was in there towards the end of last year and again in Feb this year and was told it was being trailed for some things but would most likely be introduced for everything, bloody ludicrous, there isn't normally that many people in there at any one time to warrant appointments.

28 minutes ago, Chassa said:

I come from Udon Thani, it's a day trip by air to get something I can get free in Australia and have the privilege to pay 900 baht. Now I must make an appointment to get to a place no taxi driver knows. (because the embassy seems to be down a back alley).

The last trip I took, took 2 hours and 2 taxi's from Don Muang, the first taxi gave up on finding the embassy although I had the address written in Thai, the second had to ask a motor-cycle taxi for directions.

Now I must try to beat the clock (appointment). I guess they are so busy in the embassy although I'm usually the only person there.

I.m not impressed with this lack of service and definitely not impressed with the new 'Fortress Australia'

"not impressed with this lack of service and definitely not impressed with the new 'Fortress Australia'"

yep its confusing the way they have electric monster tank proof doors. instructions aren't clear and on exit had to get security and even they struggled

Just another government rip off. 1500 Baht for notarization of income now when it used to be based on Thai Baht usually 5 to 6 hundred baht. Hard to find an actual Australian in the place .

Now you have to make an appointment for the mostly deserted and devoid of any helpful staff, the friendliest person there is the Thai lady with all the make up on.

And for those who may have seen the documentary on Australian Embassy where the  young Australian couple had had everything stolen from them in Bangkok only to be told there was nothing the Australian embassy could do to help even though they still had a credit card. Well on this occasion my son, his wife and new born baby were there and they helped by handing over a considerable amount of cash to help which was put straight back into my sons account. Yeah thanks a lot for looking after Australians abroad.

Edited by steve C
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

"not impressed with this lack of service and definitely not impressed with the new 'Fortress Australia'"

yep its confusing the way they have electric monster tank proof doors. instructions aren't clear and on exit had to get security and even they struggled

I was looking for the "tank trap" and the mine fields....if the Oz foreign service has gone the way of the Immigration and customs with their new "AUSTRALIAN BORDER FORCE" you can look forward to automatic machine gun placements and only talking to staff through bullet proof glass!! ??

For those who do not know where the new Aussie Embassy is and do take a taxi, then the nearest landmark likely to be known to the taxi drivers is the Japanese Embassy, the Aussie one is on a small side road just past this on Wireless Road (before you get to a big fenced off building site and Rama IV road), the Japanese Embassy is about 500 - 600m from the American Embassy.

Closest BTS station is Ploenchit and as UJ states, closest MRT station is Lumphini.

Edited by Mattd

3 hours ago, Chassa said:

I come from Udon Thani, it's a day trip by air to get something I can get free in Australia and have the privilege to pay 900 baht. Now I must make an appointment to get to a place no taxi driver knows. (because the embassy seems to be down a back alley).

The last trip I took, took 2 hours and 2 taxi's from Don Muang, the first taxi gave up on finding the embassy although I had the address written in Thai, the second had to ask a motor-cycle taxi for directions.

Now I must try to beat the clock (appointment). I guess they are so busy in the embassy although I'm usually the only person there.

I.m not impressed with this lack of service and definitely not impressed with the new 'Fortress Australia'

I don't know what you got for 900 baht, but stat decs and document notarisation is now AUD 70 (around 1750 baht) per page. That's quite a hike from around 500 baht in 2016.

3 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

Also you can no longer use cash. must be debit or credit card for all transactions . I was lucky to persuade her to make an exception because I made a flight booking and left the credit card by the PC

That must be so they can charge in AUD... or they don't trust cashiers?

3 hours ago, Chassa said:

Map%20of%20181%20Wireless%20Road%20-%20E

• Like 1

Yes the  "service" at the Aussie embassy is a complete joke. It doesn't exist.

I was surprised as I just found out the embassy had moved location and when I arrived there last friday was told that the Embassy changed their consular policy 2 days before and now everyone requires appointments. (Is it too difficult for them to just be at work during regular hours or something? )  Fortunately, someone cancelled their scheduled appt at the same time and I managed to get to see them the same day. 

From what I can tell, the only reason the Australian Embassy exists is to provide employment for Thais. Did not see a single Aussie person. But dozens of Thai admin and security people. Seriously, where does the freaking money go on these high fees we pay for? Even the American embassy manages to hire American citizens (and their fees are much less than the Aussie Embassy).

Edited by Time Traveller

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Next time print out the maps shown on the embassy website. 

"For a map of the Australian Embassy Bangkok please click here for English Version and click here for Thai Version"

Source: http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/contact-us.html

Easy and quick way is to take the A1 bus (30 baht) from Don Muang to Mo Chit and the MRT (subway) to the Lumpini station (shown on above maps as about a 700 meter walk).

Fine Khun Joe,,, How many people  Would Know That,,, Lucky My GF brother Lives /works in Bangkok He picked us up at the airport and took us there and Back For Renewel  of Passport.  Got to back there to collect Passport Next week.  We live in Hat Yai. They can send it  But they cancel the Passport on Application day .That means you can't travel back home(Airport Need a valid Passport for travel) So  More or less they are Forcing one to FLY Twice from Hat Yai to Bangkok Return,,,,,, That Renewel of my Passport cost me a fair few THB     And on top of that I had to pay an extra AU $150 for renewing the passport in Thailand. Cost of Passport THB 9140 +Travel costs

27 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Fine Khun Joe,,, How many people  Would Know That,,, Lucky My GF brother Lives /works in Bangkok He picked us up at the airport and took us there and Back For Renewel  of Passport.  Got to back there to collect Passport Next week.  We live in Hat Yai. They can send it  But they cancel the Passport on Application day .That means you can't travel back home(Airport Need a valid Passport for travel) So  More or less they are Forcing one to FLY Twice from Hat Yai to Bangkok Return,,,,,, That Renewel of my Passport cost me a fair few THB     And on top of that I had to pay an extra AU $150 for renewing the passport in Thailand. Cost of Passport THB 9140 +Travel costs

My experience is different to yours then.

When I renewed my passport at the embassy, they asked if I wanted the new one it sent to me or did I want to pick it up.

When I requested it be sent, they clipped a corner off of the cover of the passport and provided me with a letter saying

I was applying for a new one.

You can also use other ID such as a drivers licence for domestic travel.

1 hour ago, BangkokSausage said:

Best way for locals is get the MRT and then moto taxi takes a few mins to the front door. getting back is a walk though  , the lane way is kind of long and then MRT is about 10 minutes walk from the main rd

Yeah, get off at Lumphini MRT station and take a bike taxi, or walk.

Here's the path from the Lumphini MRT station to Australian Embassy - 800m.

Embassy - MRT Lumphini2.jpg

Edited by tropo

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

My experience is different to yours then.

When I renewed my passport at the embassy, they asked if I wanted the new one it sent to me or did I want to pick it up.

When I requested it be sent, they clipped a corner off of the cover of the passport and provided me with a letter saying

I was applying for a new one.

You can also use other ID such as a drivers licence for domestic travel.

I have to agree. I've never had lousy service in the Aussie Embassy. On all occasions, I've hardly had to wait 5 minutes for service. Getting a new passport was easy. Notary services likewise. I used to find the old Embassy a relaxing place to be. I haven't seen inside the new one yet.

This appointment service doesn't seem necessary as it was always so quiet.

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Yes the  "service" at the Aussie embassy is a complete joke. It doesn't exist.

I was surprised as I just found out the embassy had moved location and when I arrived there last friday was told that the Embassy changed their consular policy 2 days before and now everyone requires appointments. (Is it too difficult for them to just be at work during regular hours or something? )  Fortunately, someone cancelled their scheduled appt at the same time and I managed to get to see them the same day. 

From what I can tell, the only reason the Australian Embassy exists is to provide employment for Thais. Did not see a single Aussie person. But dozens of Thai admin and security people. Seriously, where does the freaking money go on these high fees we pay for? Even the American embassy manages to hire American citizens (and their fees are much less than the Aussie Embassy).

Just like physical Australia then 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Here's the path from the Lumphini MRT station to Australian Embassy - 800m.

Your path is off a bit. The MRT exit 3 is where the pointer is. If you look close the MRT logo is there.

image.png.aefeeee44c319ddc8836fb167cfb7973.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your path is off a bit. The MRT exit 3 is where the pointer is. If you look close the the MRT logo is there.

image.png.aefeeee44c319ddc8836fb167cfb7973.png

Thanks! That's much better as it brings it 300m closer. I didn't know of that exit as I've always used the one near the start of my path on the other side of Rama IV to go to hotels in the area. I walk in the other direction to the overpass to cross Rama IV.

Here's a revised map:

OZ Embassy.png

Edited by tropo

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

Thanks! That's much better as it brings it 300m closer. I didn't know of that exit as I've always used the one near the start of my path on the other side of Rama IV to go to hotels in the area. I walk in the other direction to the overpass to cross Rama IV.

I have used that exit/entrance several times to make the trek to and from another embassy further up Wireless road.

Just now, Tongjaw said:

Do you need to make an appointment for all services including passport renewal? 

Yes. You have to choose the specific category of services required and make the appropriate appointment. They are listed on the Embassy's website under consular services.

17 hours ago, steve C said:

Just another government rip off. 1500 Baht for notarization of income now when it used to be based on Thai Baht usually 5 to 6 hundred baht. Hard to find an actual Australian in the place .

Now you have to make an appointment for the mostly deserted and devoid of any helpful staff, the friendliest person there is the Thai lady with all the make up on. 

And for those who may have seen the documentary on Australian Embassy where the  young Australian couple had had everything stolen from them in Bangkok only to be told there was nothing the Australian embassy could do to help even though they still had a credit card. Well on this occasion my son, his wife and new born baby were there and they helped by handing over a considerable amount of cash to help which was put straight back into my sons account. Yeah thanks a lot for looking after Australians abroad.

C'mon somebody has to pay for Fortress Australia you don't expect those still living in Oz to fund our extravagant lifestyle do you. As for finding the place I was lucky enough to have been speaking to someone from the Embassy a few days before I visited who told me it was behind the Japanese Embassy other wise would never have found it.

18 hours ago, Pungdo said:

I was in there towards the end of last year and again in Feb this year and was told it was being trailed for some things but would most likely be introduced for everything, bloody ludicrous, there isn't normally that many people in there at any one time to warrant appointments.

This is going to be interesting as I get taxi from Pattaya to Embassy an return when I go to get my income notarised, normally a 2 1/2hour trip to Embassy but who knows with Bangkok traffic, what if I'm late for appointment do I have to make another appointment or if I'm early who is going to pay taxi to sit around and wait? To get paper witnessed takes less than 5 mins and as commented above hardly anyone ever there, the hardest part is going through all the bullshite to get to the counter so they can rip you off for1700baht

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tropo said:

Yes. You have to choose the specific category of services required and make the appropriate appointment. They are listed on the Embassy's website under consular services.

Thanks tropo. Heading down there next week so that’s saved me a wasted trip. Will get on the website right now and book my appointment before booking flight. Cheers. 

My last trip up there in Feb to get my Sat Dec I took a different approach, I drove to Swampy and parked there, then took the Sky Train and one change to the subway and walked the last km to the embassy, I was there in 2 hours, would have been less but it was the first time I had ever used the trains in Bangkok and wasn't sure where I was going or what I was doing.

So I would think I could make an appointment and feel confident of getting there on time, maybe make it 15 mins later than when I think I might get there.