Australian engineer praises Thailand after 100,000 returned by honest cabby

webfact

Australian engineer praises Thailand after 100,000 returned by honest cabby

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

An Australian engineer is the latest happy visitor to benefit from the world renowned Thai honesty.

And he has shown the generosity of Australians in return by giving a hefty reward to the driver.

Phillips John Tony Gussy, 55, (name transliterated from Thai) mistakenly left $4,100 Aussie dollars on the back seat of a cab he took from Suvarnabhumi airport to Sukhumvit Soi 22 on Wednesday night. The money is worth about 100,000 baht.

He didn't realize it was missing until later and when he had flown to Samui to see his Thai wife he was amazed to get a call from radio station FM 91 that a cab driver had handed in his wallet.

He flew back to Bangkok and attended a handing over ceremony at the radio station in Pahonyothin Road.

The honest cabby on this occasion was Sakhorn Luangkrathoke, 43, from Buriram in Thailand's north-east.

After he took his passenger to Soi 22 he was in the process of picking up a woman passenger at the end of the soi when he saw the wallet on the back seat of his pink cab.

He had to turn down the new passenger and spent ten minutes trying to find Mr Gussy to no avail.

He then decided to go out of his way and hand the money into FM 91 who often arrange for missing items to be returned to passengers.

Said Sakhorn: "If I had kept the money it would have meant a few days of joy followed by a lifetime of regret and bad karma. Much better to return it".

The Australian said that he is an engineer working for a US company based in Singapore. He has a Thai wife in Samui and has made frequent trips to Thailand over the last 5 years.

"I was shocked to get my wallet back", he said. "It makes me feel that Thailand is an even better place to live than I thought".

Proving Australian generosity he handed a reward of $500 Aussie dollars to the thankful cabby - 12,000 baht.

According to Thaivisa records that represents one of the largest rewards given in such cases over the last few years.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-13
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

They are still in damage mode after the disaster in Phuket...…...I see TAT is trying to LURE European tourists again as Chinese are cancelling in droves.

Ah, Joni Mitchell's law: Taxi cash find stories are proportional to the level of bad tourist news. Right...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

An Australian engineer is the latest happy visitor to benefit from the world renowned Thai honesty.

Yep, that´s right, but it´s not at all the only thing this prominent and distinguised gentleman is. From today he is also a member of an elite club that goes under the name, "Taxi-Hall of Fame".
Please see the simple and only qualifications for be a member below:

• Enter a taxi with a minimum amount of 100K Baht
  • Be stupid enough to forget them after you used a part of your money to pay the taxi fee

Simple, isn´t it?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Darcula said:

I like this story. World renowned Thai honesty meets world renowned Aussie generosity.

Yup-I'm an Aussie but your post gave me a good laugh.

Remind me to tell you the story about the cappuccino and the cream cake one day..

• Like 1

The Aussie guy lives in Thailand and he is still stupid enough to carry money in his wallet !!  He will never learn.  The wallet would be fat with 41 notes in it and would easily come out of his pocket. Next time wear a pair of shorts with lots of zippered pockets.

• Confused 2

What is it with these dopes leaving big sums of money in taxis? A Korean student left 300,000 baht only a couple of days ago. Might give them a wake-up call if the money disappeared, they might be a little more on the ball in the future.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1