Unsung hero: Brit Vern Unsworth started the cave rescue

rooster59

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, OzMan said:

Read that again.  All credit was given to the local brit as well as the three brit cave divers and the Australian.

Maybe you are a bit paranoid.

1 minute ago, chrisinth said:

IMO it is a hell of a lot better to feel good about themselves than being totally negative throughout the entire episode.

Why? The illusory benefits of positive thinking? By that yardstick, TVF posters should get credit for doing the rescue.

6 minutes ago, thaimelody said:

Anyway, well done to a fellow human being for doing the best you could. I'm sure only the very twisted and bitter would see it as otherwise

Probably. Good luck to you. Enjoy the feelgood.

21 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Why? The illusory benefits of positive thinking? By that yardstick, TVF posters should get credit for doing the rescue.

Yes, you have made it quite clear, with your lack of positive thinking.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Read that again.  All credit was given to the local brit as well as the three brit cave divers and the Australian.

Indeed.  My thanks to the poster for the link, but the article did not by any stretch of the imagination make the rescue out to be an "American-led" operation.  I think we can all agree that the professional people involved were intent on saving the trapped boys, just that.  No one was out there waving a flag.   

...what's the delay in 'knighting him'...or whatever the Thai equivalent is....???

...my guess....reluctance to give credit where credit is due....when outshining the locals....

...imagine they would have to let up on the slurs and stereotyping....

...and maybe double-pricing...etc...

....'God forbid'....555

12 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I hope that Vern also gets given the Elite card as he thoroughly deserves it.

Yes he does. Mind you, nice gesture though it is, the Elite card might be of limited use to most of the rescue team it was awarded to. Most have day jobs in their home countries, meaning that for any occasional trips to Thailand they did make would be easy enough on visa exempt entries. In Vern's case if he lives here he's probably on yearly extensions of stay, maybe on the back of a Non O. Keeping this arrangement in place would likely be more useful to him than a VIP tourist visa that's only good for 5 years. 

5 hours ago, nabokov said:
7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Indeed.  My thanks to the poster for the link, but the article did not by any stretch of the imagination make the rescue out to be an "American-led" operation.  I think we can all agree that the professional people involved were intent on saving the trapped boys, just that.  No one was out there waving a flag.   

Those out there leave the flag-waving to the TVF armchair brigade, full-time practitioners of the art, especially those plagued with the "Jewel in the Crown" syndrome.

18 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Elon Musk can 'stick his submarine where it hurts', says British caver who helped rescue Thai schoolboys

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-apos-stick-submarine-135400247.html

Thanks for posting that link. 2 important points in that interview with Vern Unsworth .

1. “These kids were just totally unlucky. Wrong place, wrong time,” he added. “It happened very quick. You can’t blame the coach, you can’t blame the kids.”

It would be nice if all those who were so quick to blame the coach could reflect on their miserable reactions and strive to not be as judgmental. 

2. Musk is an extremely talented con man who jumps at any chance he can get to self promote. Perhaps this can serve as an awakening to all those who were singing his praises earlier.

50 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

2. Musk is an extremely talented con man who jumps at any chance he can get to self promote. Perhaps this can serve as an awakening to all those who were singing his praises earlier.

Proves nothing about Musk. But Vern comes across as bitter and classless. He had this deservedly great image of the guy who set the ball rolling on the dive rescue. Then he goes and rips it all up in an instant.

4 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Proves nothing about Musk. But Vern comes across as bitter and classless. He had this deservedly great image of the guy who set the ball rolling on the dive rescue. Then he goes and rips it all up in an instant.

I don't think so. His remarks about a PR stunt were spot on. Nothing bitter about it. He was just doing a Donald Trump. ?  

13 hours ago, HHTel said:

I said the Washington Post reported that the Yanks ran the operation, not did everything.

On July 6, the American military and Thai SEALs took a jointly concocted plan to senior Thai government officials. The interior minister was among those who arrived at the cave entrance by motorcade. Using Unsworth’s maps and his understanding of the chamber’s topography and hydrology, the rescuers pressed their point to about 60 representatives from the civilian government: It was time to act, even though they fully believed that some of the boys would not survive the swim. Their message: Save most of them now or lose all of them soon.

26 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I said the Washington Post reported that the Yanks ran the operation, not did everything.

On July 6, the American military and Thai SEALs took a jointly concocted plan to senior Thai government officials. The interior minister was among those who arrived at the cave entrance by motorcade. Using Unsworth’s maps and his understanding of the chamber’s topography and hydrology, the rescuers pressed their point to about 60 representatives from the civilian government: It was time to act, even though they fully believed that some of the boys would not survive the swim. Their message: Save most of them now or lose all of them soon.

Carrying out a thorough appreciation, considering all the available knowledge, expertise, assets (in this case skills, experience and very specific abilities) is a procedure central to producing a working plan. The requirements of the battlefield means that it is often done "against the clock"

It is something practiced constantly by professional militaries, and is a core activity for a commander and his staff. It wasn't a battlefield, but many of the constraints were similar. The US contributed a significant military team, which would almost certainly have included such planners. That will be why, drawing upon the knowledge and expertise of the divers, and many others, in order to carry out such an appreciation, they would have been central to producing the plan.

Not the same as "claiming to run the show".

15 hours ago, dinsdale said:

One wonders what the outcome would've been if left in Thai hands. Well done ol' chum.

Yes your probably only ONE wondering.  The post is about Vern and his actions to get international assistance. Please don’t try to drag this post into negativity. 

A series of fortunate events for the 12 kids, coach and families that Vern was there at the right time, knew who to contact and was highly knowledgeable about this cave. 

Seems like a no-nonsense straight-forward chap (considering his comments about Musk).

My hats off to you Mr. Unsworth and all of Thailand thanks you for your assistance.

Archived