Bit Comet - Download Speed

StickKettleOn

Hi AllI have tried to join the Bit Comet forum to ask this question but they are taking ages to send me a password.

I downloaded Comet yesterday and have began downloading a movie. For the first 10 hours it blazed along at around 40-50Kbps. I got to 70% of the movie downloaded and it suddenly droped to 1-3kbps, and has been that way for 6 hours.

Is there anything i can do? Have i done something wrong? Setting need changing?

Cheers

SKO

If you got good speeds at the beginning, it's probably cause there were many fast peers avaliable on-line at that time.

Be patient, try again later, during the same time as you got the good speed initially.

personally I always get 100 Kb/s, but that's because I have a 1 mb connection and only use PRIVATE trackers.

Edited by sabajja

I read on the net this week that Cisco has developed ways to identify encrypted torrent traffic for throttling.

Maybe your ISP has got hold of this and started throttling BT traffic?

Hate to think how much BT traffic is as a percentage of Thailand bandwidth!

another thing that could be causing the problem is Bit Comet. more and more i'm seeing people block Bit Comet and other similar clients on private and public trackers. i'm not exactly sure why but regularly come across torrents saying something like:

"** WARNING **

I block Shareaza, Bit-anything (i.e., bitcomet, bitlord, bitspirit, etc) and any unknown client"

give µTorrent a try. it's the best client i've used.

Bit-Comet has make problems for me and I stopped using. Now with uTorrent it's much better.

And its right, it's very difficult to get acces to the forum of Bit-Comet! Bit-Comet is also lie with the speed usage. It has shown 200+ kBps but real it was just as 10% of it. The displayed amount of downloaded data was in one ex 17.9 GB but in the real saved data just only 2 GB by 0 Byte dropped data or corrupted data!

Again: uTorrent works great!

I've been using BitComet for a while now and the dowload speeds vary significantly - eg from 1 Kbs to 70 Kbs and that just seems to be the way it goes. I gather that this is related to the number of peers that are online ... different parts of the world are active at different times.

I leave my PC going for a few days at a time to get some large files downloaded - other times I can have a 700 Meg or large file downloaded overnight.

Then there is always the 98% download that goes no further. Use the torrent sites that have a forum associated with each file so you can read what others are saying.