Question re Bank letter(800k) re retirement extension

Every year I use the 800k baht in bank for 3 months method to get my 'retirement' annual extension, deposited with Bangkok Bank. The bank which holds the deposit provide a letter to confirm my deposit, etc.

I shall be moving cities but keeping the same bank in the city I am moving from.

Can I get a Bangkok Bank in the city I move too to provide the confirmation letter to immigration even though the deposit is held in a different Bangkok Bank branch?

Thank you.

Edited by zombie nights

Yes you can.

One thing though to be aware of if moving to a new residence in a different Province than where you hold an account, is the 'out of Province' charges for using an ATM in a Province other than where your account is held.

Although the charge is small, the fees mount up over a period of time.

If this is a permanent move, I'd suggest you find the most convenient BKK branch in your new location and ask them to 'transfer' your account to that branch.

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If this is a permanent move, I'd suggest you find the most convenient BKK branch in your new location and ask them to 'transfer' your account to that branch.

I would wait with this transfer until he have cleared his extension.

• Like 1

For years I have had a separate Bangkok Bank fixed account where I keep 800 + thousand baht for extension of stay, has worked just fine.

Now,

I would like to shift the money to a separate savings account (rather than fixed).

Why? So that I can access the account by means of plastic cards in ATMs (in LoS or abroad) rather than having to queue up in a branch office.

Would a savings acc. be OK for Immigration? I assume so, but you never know.

Now:

This account (savings) in which I keep my 800+ thousand, must it be in a my name only acc or can it be in an account shared with my girlfriend?

(why? If I bite the dust it would be a simple way to arrange for my girlfriend to have the 800 + thousand baht)

6 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Not a problem. But be careful using a ATM card so that your account does not go below 800k baht during the 3 months before you apply for the extension.

6 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

This account (savings) in which I keep my 800+ thousand, must it be in a my name only acc or can it be in an account shared with my girlfriend?

(why? If I bite the dust it would be a simple way to arrange for my girlfriend to have the 800 + thousand baht)

It must be in your name only.

If you have online banking and she knew what your login and password is she could get access to it. Same for the ATM card.

yes, ta!

don't have online banking with Tanakan Krung Thep, they will not give it to my unless I can provide a work permit - which I cannot

Same shit with Thai Panit.

Maybe I should ask around and see if some bank would give me internet banking, Kasikorn/Thai Farmer for example,

and shift my assets/accounts over to them

But a savings account with plastic would be a good step forward,

with ample expenditure limit on the card she should be able to extract at least most of the money before the bank discovers that I have

gone upstairs or downstairs

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

don't have online banking with Tanakan Krung Thep, they will not give it to my unless I can provide a work permit

I have online banking with Bangkok Bank and don't have a work permit. 

• Like 2

I have online banking with

Bangkok bank

K-Bank

Krungsri Bank.

I have No work permit, as i don't need to work any more :thumbsup: 

Ps.  K-Bank was opened about 12 years a go, things may have changed for them now, regards a Work permit, i don't know

Edited by stanleycoin

19 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Now:

Immigration accept a Savings account no problem.

Be aware of the differing interest rates between the different accounts though.

Savings accounts are usually at 0.5% interest.

I understand your concern over your g/f having access in the event of your death.

Apart from the methods already advised, you can also have an account in your name only, but with more than one persons signature allowed to make withdrawals. (The form you complete with samples of your signature).

I have a Fixed term and Savings a/c with BKK.

Both are in my sole name.

With the Fixed term a/c my wife can make withdrawals at the counter should the worst happen.

With the Savings a/c we both have debit cards.

I raised this issue with BKK two years ago (due to Immigrations regulations) and although my branch wasn't sure, they checked with Bangkok and said it was indeed possible. My wife signed a couple of forms giving her access to the accounts and some copy signatures and they even issued her a separate debit card for the Savings account.

Statements or letters from the bank for Immigration purpose show only my name.

Thank you very much. This was good news. Pretty much what I sought.

(its probably 10-15 years since I opened my BangkokBank accounts,

maybe they would give me internet banking if I asked today)

Never mind interest - interest in LoS is a laugh unless you are a  civil servant.

So;

savings account with plastic combined with her ability to withdraw ought to do the trick.

That would give her two ways to the juice

Thank you, much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

So;

savings account with plastic combined with her ability to withdraw ought to do the trick.

That would give her two ways to the juice

BKK informed me most Thai married partners know the PIN's anyway.

In the event of death of one of the parties, the other just withdraws max daily amounts until the account is empty before they notify the bank of the death.  This seems a common practice here.

• 1 month later...

did my ext of stay and re-entry two days ago,

yesterday to Bangkok Bank to open new savings acc,

no problem, closed the fixed and transferred the money

my name only but her access and signature is recorded (using tabien baan and id card)

got new atm card with chip, 6 digit pin code

one thing I didnt appreciate though, max withdrawal from atm is 50 000 / day

for customers with work permit that could be raised significantly 200 000 or so

this BB's regulations

with only 50 000/day it takes a long time to drain 800 000

I will probably consult with a couple of SCB branches in the area and see if they can do bettter re atm limit