'Legalisation' of certificates in UK

Hi,

I have been offered a job at an int school who have told me in my province there is a new requirement (actually I am not sure what this is for - maybe someone knows if this is for the visa/WP/teachers licence?), which requires that my education certificates be 'legalised' by the UK government - who have very kindly stopped doing this at the embassy in BKK. The process to now get this done is, frankly, ridiculous. 

It involves: sending by courier to the UK, first somehow getting the certs notarised in the UK, then getting them forwarded on to some obscure UK govt department to 'leaglise' them, using a prepaid UK stamped envelope (how?) they will then forward them on to the Thai embassy in London who will issue a further stamp confirming the UK stamp. Finally, I have to trust that they will then courier at my prepaid expense the certs back to my address in Thailand. 

This seems to be a very new requirement, and only applies to some provinces. I have yet to find anyone who has actually completed the process. has anyone here done it? How did you do it? Through a private company? How much? Was it reliable? It seems like its going to cost 10's of thousands of baht, and maybe considerably more when courier fees are included.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Cheers

I have had documents legalised,. actually notarised, by a UK law firm in Bangkok, Freshfields in my case, but there are others of course, Clifford Chance I know have offices there .  There is an outfit called Anglo-Thai Legal that may be worth trying.  I don't know them myself. . I take it that notarisation by a UK firm would be the acceptable?  Not sure,. but you could ask.  Not cheap of course. 

Thanks Pilotman. I really have no idea whether that would be acceptable or not actually. 

Do you know what the cost was roughly?

The school copied an email they had, not sure of it was UK govt or Thai sender, which basically outlined the process for now doing it as I described above. They didn't say anything about alternative methods like you described. 

I will ask, but it seems they want it notarised, then stamped by some UK government authority. But again, I will ask for further clarification.

I think a lot of people will get a shock when they look into the details of this when moving jobs.

1 hour ago, irishtoffy said:

Thanks Pilotman. I really have no idea whether that would be acceptable or not actually. 

Do you know what the cost was roughly?

The school copied an email they had, not sure of it was UK govt or Thai sender, which basically outlined the process for now doing it as I described above. They didn't say anything about alternative methods like you described. 

I will ask, but it seems they want it notarised, then stamped by some UK government authority. But again, I will ask for further clarification.

I think a lot of people will get a shock when they look into the details of this when moving jobs.

I had one document ( a Doctoral Degree Certificate) notarised  to UK law and and it was 1,000 Bhat.  Not too bad really. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

I had one document ( a Doctoral Degree Certificate) notarised  to UK law and and it was 1,000 Bhat.  Not too bad really. 

Hey Pilotman

What is the name of this firm? And is it based in Bangkok?

Many thanks

Archived