Phuket officials inert as fishing boat breaks apart at tourist beach

snoop1130

Phuket officials inert as fishing boat breaks apart at tourist beach

1531738207_1-org.jpg

The Chok Mong fishing boat continues to break apart at Nai Yang Beach, with fuel and large pieces of wood being dangerously tossed ashore. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET:-- Officials today confirmed they will do nothing about the large pieces of wood being dangerously tossed about in the surf at Nai Yang Beach after a fishing boat foundering in strong winds and waves ran aground, broke apart and sank in the bay on Friday (July 13).

Marine officials confirmed on Saturday that the Chok Mong fishing boat with five people on board was pushed off its anchor and onto rocks after 11am.

The five on board put on life jackets and abandoned ship, jumping in to the relatively shallow water and making it safely to shore.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-inert-as-fishing-boat-breaks-apart-at-tourist-beach-67903.php#7tAXSpj9GKeXgGC7.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-7-16

9 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Yup, too many tourists must be Thailand's problems.

Oh well, form another "committee" to look at the problem.

Which is connected to the topic how?

3 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

I'll spell it out for you. Something bad happens (typically due to corruption (i.e funds intended for implementation/enforcement/equipment, etc. are diverted), lack of enforcement, or just plain incompetence and instead of someone in charge taking responsibility, a "committee" is formed in order to "explore" solutions. (See the recent response to the Phoenix sinking, resulting in the deaths of ~50 tourists.) The Thais are great at blaming others/foreigners for their problems but not so good accepting blame when it's due. The best they can do is the "committee" thing. It's also a reference to a recent thread on TV where the Thais blame many of their environmental woes on too many foreign tourists.

Look, I love Thailand and its people, and having lived here now for just a year, I'm still a newbie, but I've been married to a Thai for 10 yrs. and I've learned a little bit. I'm no expert but know about some of the negatives of Thai culture/society, the biggest being "Face" (both the fear of losing it and causing others to lose it) resulting in the lack of progress needed for a developing country.

I wouldn't be so critical of the country if I didn't love it. It just saddens me to hear from old hands and to see with my own eyes, the degradation of so much of this country's natural beauty.

Which has all nothing to do with the topic.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

If you can't see that, then the rose-tinting on your glasses has made them completely opaque.

Post in some of the other topics and it would be on topic. I would disagree, but on topic.

Maybe it's just another tourist attraction in the making: 

"Visit our weekly Thai-style Titanic spectacle" with sinking fishing and dive boats, burning and exploding tourist boats. We are now painting some riffs in white color in order to come closer to the original.

Now hiring musicians for an on board orchestra. Only trained swimmers need to apply.  

Edited by Lupatria
  • Haha 1