Are the water from filtration machines safe?

Roiav

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Just buy a big clear jug, filter the water into it and leave it in the sun for a day. Pure.

Define "filter"?

Leaving the water in the sun for a day will normally only dissipate the chlorine in treated water - nothing else. What about any other contaminants e.g. chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and bacteria? ????

10 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Define "filter"?

Leaving the water in the sun for a day will normally only dissipate the chlorine in treated water - nothing else. What about any other contaminants e.g. chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and bacteria? ????

I guess he assumes the UV-light in the sunlight will kill the germs? 

The rest you named is the task of the pre-filters...charcoal can clean water as well.

10 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Define "filter"?

Get a high volume backpacker filter. The UV in sunlight takes care of virus and bacteria.

11 hours ago, Thian said:

I guess he assumes the UV-light in the sunlight will kill the germs? 

The rest you named is the task of the pre-filters...charcoal can clean water as well.

1.) That is hardly likely to happen. If true we would have a 'germ free' world? ????

2.) Pre-filters are normally used to remove solids and sediments from the water BEFORE the use of charcoal filters in a system. Stops blocking them up thus making them largely ineffective flow wise and for the removal of other contaminants.

If your water supply is generally free of large amounts of sediment and solids then, maybe, you can get away with using just a single more expensive filter (suitably designed and tested) to remove the chemicals, bacteria etc.

51 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

1.) That is hardly likely to happen. If true we would have a 'germ free' world? ????

2.) Pre-filters are normally used to remove solids and sediments from the water BEFORE the use of charcoal filters in a system. Stops blocking them up thus making them largely ineffective flow wise and for the removal of other contaminants.

If your water supply is generally free of large amounts of sediment and solids then, maybe, you can get away with using just a single more expensive filter (suitably designed and tested) to remove the chemicals, bacteria etc.

Yes we use 3 filters and a UV-light but BKK water is already cleaner than upcountry where there's loads of calcium in it.

Ever noticed why the Thai always MUST have their laundry/pillows/blankets in the sun? It kills germs and will make it smell better.

I wonder if the Thai drinkingwater is ever tested for heavy metals...i drink much of it every day. 

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Mine was a question (rhetorical) NOT a statement.

But disinfection (by sunlight) does not remove the parasites Giardia or Cryptosporidum! Not uncommon in untreated water. These can be removed by proper filtration.

Some "ideas" expressed here are simple but not comprehensive enough if you desire clean drinking water. ????

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes we use 3 filters and a UV-light but BKK water is already cleaner than upcountry where there's loads of calcium in it.

Good, but it is not only about how good the water maybe usually but what you will be drinking if something goes wrong with the water supply and its treatment. Human failings comes to mind. Better to have a great filter system and not need it than to not have one and need it! :thumbsup:

You have an R.O. system?

10 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

You have an R.O. system?

No just one with 4 cartridges and one of those is the uv-light....

One day the water got a bit smelly but that was caused by the broken uv-light...they only last a year or so...

I think it's safe to drink BKK tapwater...i do it for a decade now and have not been sick. I also did it some years without that filter...