UK watchdog and EU tell banks to prepare for hard Brexit

snoop1130

On 7/23/2018 at 4:26 PM, RuamRudy said:

For me, it is important that our European friends are reminded that not all of the UK voted to leave. Once the UK ceases to exist, an independent Scotland will hopefully seek to strengthen its position with regards to the EU, and for that we need their goodwill.

I don't think our European friends are interested in us RR, maybe our money though?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grouse said:
2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

And presumably inadequately educated remainers would also be stuffed?

Yes indeed but I think we know which would be the larger group?

Please tell us Grouse - backed up with hard evidence of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I don't think our European friends are interested in us RR, maybe our money though?

According to all the Thaivisa experts, Scotland is a financial basket case that would, apparently, resemble Greece without the sun. If we have nothing, we can give them nothing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You just proved you know very little about the topic. 

Most people know very little about the topic, which is why holding a referendum about it is complete nonsense and why you’re having this chaos now. 

One thing I DO know about the topic though is that it wouldn’t be easy as ticking a box. And in this point, it seems, I seem to know a lot more than many Brexit fans — while I’m not even British. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry the Brexit idiots are Rees-Mogg supporters to a man and woman and he looks to be be doing rather well...Well done Eton JRM at fooling the working man you had his hearts at interest - how you must guffaw at their idiocy in private as you profit royally from their carefully traded  positions. I admire him because he acts rationally in the interests of his class and if one must say is doing it royally and skillfully just like Daddy taught him. As for the cap doffers they deserve everything that's coming down the line to them. Like Thai royalists on their knees they should learn to stand up for a while and take back a bit of control and dignity. Personally a toff's backside smells like most others and I would  rather not have my nose up it. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-scm-ireland-investment-fund-conservative-mp-a8461021.html

Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving -

Heathrow airport has raised nearly £1bn in debt to keep it going through a “worst-case scenario” following a hard Brexit, its chief executive has said.

.....Even if we have no income for two months, we would be financially safe.”

So Heathrow is having to plan for the possibility of being closed for 2 months  - OK I know you are going to say it's only a possibility, but why should a major British industry  have to even plan for such a contingency ?

Our government is totally incompetent and out of touch with British commerce   - it does not inspire me with confidence that these are the people who are trying to  negotiate Brexit .

https://www.ft.com/content/ceb7d6ce-8f55-11e8-bb8f-a6a2f7bca546

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

Our government is totally incompetent and out of touch with British commerce   - it does not inspire me with confidence that these are the people who are trying to  negotiate Brexit .

https://www.ft.com/content/ceb7d6ce-8f55-11e8-bb8f-a6a2f7bca546

The PM, who cannot even strike a deal with her own cabinet, is going to lead the negotiations for the country?

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

thanks for the offer to purchase an FT subscription

If it does that, then search in google for the name of the article it says "subscribe to read  "

90% of the time if you follow the link there it will let you see it - you may have to open it in an incognito window.

I'm also too much of a cheapskate to subscribe ....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Poor wee timorous beastie, ohhhh what a panic is in thy remainer breastie.

What version of the same story do you think is nearest to the correct version tebee ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/24/heathrow-raises-1bn-fund-third-runway-expansion-brexit-looms/

Heathrow is a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, what makes you think it might have to close down for 2 months because of Brexit ?

the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has confirmed that flights between the UK and the rest of the European Union will be grounded by a hard Brexit - unless a separate deal to cover aviation is struck with London.

the freedoms of the air which are given effect by Regulation (EC) No 1008/2008 automatically lapse when the UK leaves the EU. And, with regard to that, a spokesman for the IAA has said: "There would need to be a new agreement in place to maintain the existing level of connectivity between Europe and the UK".

"there is no World Trade Organisation (WTO) fallback position for aviation traffic rights in the event of a hard Brexit"

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Poor wee timorous beastie, ohhhh what a panic is in thy remainer breastie.

What version of the same story do you think is nearest to the correct version tebee ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/24/heathrow-raises-1bn-fund-third-runway-expansion-brexit-looms/

Heathrow is a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, what makes you think it might have to close down for 2 months because of Brexit ?

Apparently Heathrow itself thinks it needs to take precautions.

• Like 1

Interesting. Heathrow HQ is moving to Amsterdam due Brexit. 

Heathrow airport's operator is moving its international HQ from the UK to Amsterdam because of Brexit.

Airbus might do the same

Last week, Airbus warned that it could leave the UK if the country exits the European Union single market and customs union without a transition deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44614352

57 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

You are correct about the WTO, have you never heard of The International Civil Aviation Organisation ( ICAO ) and what the do ?

You should look into them, it might help you get over your fears.

ICAO is the airline standards setting organization - it does nothing to actually authorize flights.

Just now, oilinki said:

Interesting. Heathrow HQ is moving to Amsterdam due Brexit. 

Airbus might do the same

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44614352

We learn something every day!

"Heathrow airport's operator is moving its international HQ from the UK to Amsterdam because of Brexit.

Spanish-owned Ferrovial says it needs to keep within EU legislation after the UK leaves the EU."

I for one, didn't know that Heathrow is owned by a Spanish company!  How the hell did this happen??

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I for one, didn't know that Heathrow is owned by a Spanish company!  How the hell did this happen??

Privatization - we've sold most of our infrastructure and profitable businesses off 

• Like 1

Just now, tebee said:

ICAO is the airline standards setting organization - it does nothing to actually authorize flights.

Do you honestly believe that Heathrow (one of the largest airports in the world) will close down for two months if the uk leaves the eu without a deal? ?

• Like 2

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Do you honestly believe that Heathrow (one of the largest airports in the world) will close down for two months if the uk leaves the eu without a deal? ?

I don't, but I do find it telling that they think they have to make precautions.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

If we leave with no deal whatsoever, yes it will have to -  The organizations that certify its safety are no longer competent, no insurance companies will cover a plane landing there.

We could have some fudged side deals to keep it working but absolute no deal means no flights.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No. I think the question is, without a common deal between UK and EU's aviation authorities, will UK based airlines be allowed to enter EU's airspace and vice versa? Or actually if these companies are allowed to operate in each countries. 

Has these authorities been able to make a deal between each other, in case there is hard brexit?

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Presumably the same would apply to all uk airports - so there would be no flights in or out of the uk for a couple of months ?!

Yes - and also all UK registered planes and maintenance staff.

We need to get either new UK systems set up to take over the responsibilities of the former EU ones we used  or some sort of fudge to allow them to still cover the UK.