UK watchdog and EU tell banks to prepare for hard Brexit

snoop1130

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It doesn’t matter where I’m from. And I’m not even passionately pro-EU. There are certainly things that can be improved. And I don’t agree with everything the EU does.

But overall, we benefit more than it hurts us, so leaving it is just plain stupid. Since its beginnings, the EU has been constantly growing, with more and more states applying for a membership. It doesn’t seem to be so unattractive. 

Sooner or later the U.K. will come back. It’ll probably be the major theme in the next election post-Brexit because a candidate can be pretty sure that he will get elected just by proposing to undo this historical nonsense. But that’s obviously reading in my crystal ball. 

One thing the last couple of years has taught me is there is an army of pliable idiots ready to march to the nationalist drum as their rich puppet masters glory in their richesse.  This is not the the end not even the end of the beginning as pain begins to bite expect blame turned ever outwards at traitoroust remoaners and immigration and the usual suspects as the army of idiots coalesces around mindless memes on the internet. If you want to know if your right wing and a mug just check your wallet - clue iof it's pretty empty and you're angry you're being played. . Martyr Tommy Robinson and his street thugs are going make inroads into territory once though un-British and off limits to all but the boneheads. Social democracy has never looked weaker in my lifetime. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99

You just have to love Moggie - UK bring back control champion .....What was it he said..? "We should not be put off by endless scare stories" ...but then his 'money' takes a different view

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jacob-rees-mogg-scm-ireland-city-move-eu-withdrawal-dublin-a8398041.html 

Edited by beautifulthailand99

8 hours ago, vogie said:

Anybody that disagrees with you is nonsense, is that what you're saying?

More with refuting arguments as clearly incorrect, only to be followed by others posting the exact same incorrect information.

• Like 1

Perhaps 'Remoaners' might like to answer the following questions:

• Why have we suffered industrial decline and closures with production shifting elsewhere in Europe since joining the EEC?
  • Why do we trade in surplus with the rest of the world but have such a huge deficit with the EU?
  • Why have we ended up importing fish, electricity, steel and much else when we used to self sufficient?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

• Why have we suffered industrial decline and closures with production shifting elsewhere in Europe since joining the EEC?
  • Why do we trade in surplus with the rest of the world but have such a huge deficit with the EU?
  • Why have we ended up importing fish, electricity, steel and much else when we used to self sufficient?

Clearly, the UK’s whopping trade deficit is the result of a range of factors. High interest rates, an over-valued currency, a culture of short-termism, poor management and unwillingness to invest in new machinery and skills have all played a part. It would fly in the face of the evidence to suggest that the trade deficit is simply a function of being a member of the single market and the customs union

Most of it is simply market forces - UK is an expensive country to live in, driven by amongst other things, high house prices. It's much cheaper to manufacture elsewhere. We have being trying to it up with services - this policy was originally introduced by Thatcher, and supported by Leave's favorite economist professor Minford.

The ERG group want Singapore-on-sea with zero tariffs for imports , which would exacerbate  this even further .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, the poster didn't only see negatives, that was your unjustified conclusion.

But you're avoiding the main thing: it should have been much better, but for Brexit.

???

14 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I would rather have seen (as do millions of UK citizens) that Brexit will create at least 5,000 new job opportunities. That, regretfully, hasn't happened, nor has anything been similarly positive - and quantified. 

Try reading and comprehending English.

My reply was

14 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Only to neg - heads that are blind or blinkered to any good news.

Dyson shrugs off Brexit fears with massive UK expansion plan

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/28/dyson-shrugs-off-brexit-fears-with-massive-uk-expansion-plan

U.K. Technology Sector Investment Doubles Despite Brexit

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-17/u-k-technology-sector-investment-doubles-despite-brexit

Citigroup to invest in London, hire staff despite Brexit: FT

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-citigroup-britain/citigroup-to-invest-in-london-hire-staff-despite-brexit-ft-idUSKBN1FV0ZA

There is just 3. There are 1000's of others if you care to look.

When you can comprehend the difference between positives and negatives, come back to me, until then, it might be best to keep quiet.

1 hour ago, Rally123 said:

It might have something to do with the distruction of British Industry by the Tories, starting with Margret Thatcher’s declaration that manufacturing was dead (to be asset stripped) and the UK would become a ‘post industrial’, ‘service’ economy.

The UK’s industrial base was wrecked during the 1980s, not by the EU.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

???

If I was getting free money. I would want to join the EU also.

The problem is, and will forever continue is that there are far too few givers, and far too many takers.

Which is going to increase dramatically if the next 6 Countries are accepted, as per the EU's wishes and join by 2025.

You don't keep up with the news much, do you?

https://www.ft.com/content/c35f032a-628b-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56

16 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Exactly. There is just 3.  Probably assembled from your Brexit database. Your wild assertion that there are thousands of Brexit good news items (you use the word, 'others') is a figment of your imagination. Anyone with a basic arithmetical understanding could prove otherwise. I'll take you through it. First, '1'000's' implies at least 2,000, maybe more. In the 2+ years from the referendum vote,  c. 750 days  have elapsed. That means about three different news items every day (21 per week) extolling the virtues of Brexit. (3x750= 2250 daily items). 

I'm sure any reasonable person, who keeps up with Brexit events, would laugh you off the planet when you come up with a fantasy figure of thousands of news items supporting Brexit. 

Now, had you said that every day there has been at least one news item that demonstrates the limitations of Brexit, as in recent events, it would be more factual. 

Today's lesson for you - don't quote stats at me that cannot be substantiated by facts.  And today's challenge is to provide links to a mere 20 'Brexit good news' items - which represents a maximum 1% of the thousands you state have been reported. Then carry on, until you've exhausted your database.

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Clearly, the UK’s whopping trade deficit is the result of a range of factors. High interest rates

High interest rates ?

You expect to be taken seriously when you come out with gems like that ??

In your own words, define what you believe to be a '' High Interest Rate '' and what decade the UK last had a matching interest rate ?

31 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

High interest rates ?

You expect to be taken seriously when you come out with gems like that ??

In your own words, define what you believe to be a '' High Interest Rate '' and what decade the UK last had a matching interest rate ?

Tebee was responding to a question of how the UK economy got to where it is today. It was a question that demanded an historical answer. For those of us who were alive then and are not amnesiacs the 80's were an era of very high interest rates. In fact from about 1978 to 1994 interest rates rarely fell below 10% in the UK.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Renegade said:

But you want to leave. The reason could be that there is no free money. Don’t know where you get such nonsense from. Was it printed on a Bus?

3 hours ago, The Renegade said:

This is where you are getting it all wrong.

1. Politicians, by and large are not experts in anything. That is why £ millions are paid out annually to advisors and special advisors.

2 Competent ? That is funny, how many have been screaming on these Brexit threads about incompetent politicians.

How am I getting it wrong?

1. That’s what I said: I as a simple guy do not have the resources politicians have. (Thus me not understanding how anyone sane would hold a referendum about something this complex.)

2. I was talking about the EU leadership. The U.K.? To be fair, I don’t think all of them are incompetent. I think their main problem is that they are stuck between doing what’s best for their people vs. pleasing right-wings and a referendum result. Those are conflicting objectives which result in having to square the circle. And it will eventually lead to a no-deal or having to decide for one position. 

3. Act in YOUR best interest ?? Hell will freeze over before that happens.

You’re welcome to have your own opinion and feelings. Me as a EU citizen feel pretty good. I would feel much worse if I were a UK citizen at the moment. 

So it would be great to find a Country that has the attributes in their Politicians that you list above, can you let us into the secret of where it is ? I might just move there.

It will be increasingly difficult for you to move there because you just decided to leave it. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

53 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

But you want to leave. The reason could be that there is no free money. Don’t know where you get such nonsense from. Was it printed on a Bus?

???

graph_net_capit_466x485.gif.2ef7a5f85ab61ce686eb01680ed6ebf6.gif

All the Countries below Cyprus receive FREE MONEY from the EU

All The Countries from Cyprus and above are supplying that FREE MONEY via the EU.

It is normally called Net Contributors and Net Recipients. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

???

All The Countries from Cyprus and above are supplying that FREE MONEY via the EU.

Interesting that that graph shows just how comparatively low the UK contribution is when viewed on a per capita basis 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

???

All the EU countries receive FREE MONEY from EU. We all benefit of being part of the Union. Some receive it more by doing the trade in the common market. Some are not doing so well, so we share a bit of out wealth to them.. so that they too can become wealthier and start sharing their wealth.

11 minutes ago, oilinki said:

All the EU countries receive FREE MONEY from EU. We all benefit of being part of the Union. Some receive it more by doing the trade in the common market. Some are not doing so well, so we share a bit of out wealth to them.. so that they too can become wealthier and start sharing their wealth.

Don't start with him about the benefits of being in a single market. He'll just ask why is the UK importing baskets from abroad when it's British workers who should be weaving them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

???

Not entirely convinced by the graphic, as I'm not sure how much 'free' money Greece is receiving nowadays?

But this is likely due to a lack of knowledge on my part, influenced by the horrendous situation in which ordinary Greek people find themselves.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not entirely convinced by the graphic, as I'm not sure how much 'free' money Greece is receiving nowadays?

But this is likely due to a lack of knowledge on my part, influenced by the horrendous situation in which ordinary Greek people find themselves.

Greece is a different kettle of fish.

Greece is a Net Recipient of EU cash / funds / whatever fancy names people wish to put on it.

This is different from the bailout / debt haircuts / money it has received.

Add the 2 of them together and the amount is horrendous.

And in fairness to the everyday Greek people, DESPITE all that money, they are still suffering massively.

Edited by The Renegade
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Renegade said:

???

The problem is, and will forever continue is that there are far too few givers, and far too many takers.

Which is going to increase dramatically if the next 6 Countries are accepted, as per the EU's wishes and join by 2025.

That's just a one-dimensional view.
First of all, subsidies are only granted for specific projects for specific purposes. For example, in the Structural Fund for Road Construction, Since then a piece of new highway in Romania is built. For this purpose, machines, building materials, etc. from many countries of the EU are ordered. The local people have work and an income. This in turn is spent on the purchase of goods, which in turn come from many EU countries. This in turn leads to employment and income effects in the other EU countries.

In the end, the new highway helps to shorten transport times, a toll can be collected, and the road attracts further investment.

It's not that, the net contributors to the EU pot, have none of it.
On the contrary, the benefit for many net contributors is quite high through the investment consequential effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That's just a one-dimensional view.
First of all, subsidies are only granted for specific projects for specific purposes. For example, in the Structural Fund for Road Construction, Since then a piece of new highway in Romania is built. For this purpose, machines, building materials, etc. from many countries of the EU are ordered. The local people have work and an income. This in turn is spent on the purchase of goods, which in turn come from many EU countries. This in turn leads to employment and income effects in the other EU countries.

In the end, the new highway helps to shorten transport times, a toll can be collected, and the road attracts further investment.

It's not that, the net contributors to the EU pot, have none of it.
On the contrary, the benefit for many net contributors is quite high through the investment consequential effects.

I don't think you understand what the Brexiteer know to be a fact: that economics is a zero sum game and for every gain there's an equal loss. That's why the world economy has not grown at all ever.