UK watchdog and EU tell banks to prepare for hard Brexit

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I don't think you understand what the Brexiteer know to be a fact: that economics is a zero sum game and for every gain there's an equal loss. That's why the world economy has not grown at all ever.

Looks like the rag tag Brexiteer army struggles on in a Napoleonic winter advancing towards Moscow - dying in the snow . JRM has long since left the wagon train where he comforted and stimulated his battalion of believers to push on towards victory. He is so close now he can smell the money - victory for a group of right wing coup of sorts - misery for the country, hopefully prison for some. Putin can be well please with his long term project - disunify Europe , sow dissent and all done without firing a shot Meanwhile in the West we fought unwinnable wars in hot sandy places that destroyed our will and treasure. This is how empires die - looted from within , attacked from without - and it was ever thus . Good morning happy campers. When do we get our coup FROM THE RED WHITE AND BLUE SHIRTS  ?

Martin Rowson 26.07.18

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I do find it odd when people keep their nationality a secret.  Entering into a conversation at a bar with a stranger, one of the first things most people ask is where the other is from. In those circumstances do you say "it doesn't matter where I'm from"?

I asked where you are from so I can better understand your position on the EU topic. For example, Germany benefit a lot from the EU, particularly from the Euro.

Anyway, it's your prerogative if you prefer not to declare your interests in this debate.

I agree with you that a lot of countries benefit from the EU, and that the EU has done some good things. But what you need to understand is that the majority of British people value sovereignty and independence over ever closer union. The common market was a great idea, but the gradual advance towards a united states of Europe has pushed the UK public into voting Brexit.

The UK will survive Brexit, and will thrive again. I'm less confident that the EU will do the same.

I am sick of this repeated claim that Brexit represents some homogenous view from Brits. The majority of English and Welsh people may have voted to leave the EU but a significant majority of Scots voted to stay; that majority has strengthened even more such that when you presume to speak for the whole of the UK, you are ignoring the 3 out of every 4 Scots, who disagree with Brexit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I do find it odd when people keep their nationality a secret.  Entering into a conversation at a bar with a stranger, one of the first things most people ask is where the other is from. In those circumstances do you say "it doesn't matter where I'm from"?

I asked where you are from so I can better understand your position on the EU topic. For example, Germany benefit a lot from the EU, particularly from the Euro.

Anyway, it's your prerogative if you prefer not to declare your interests in this debate.

I agree with you that a lot of countries benefit from the EU, and that the EU has done some good things. But what you need to understand is that the majority of British people value sovereignty and independence over ever closer union. The common market was a great idea, but the gradual advance towards a united states of Europe has pushed the UK public into voting Brexit.

The UK will survive Brexit, and will thrive again. I'm less confident that the EU will do the same.

Because a bar is not a thread on a forum. Maybe there is a bar somewhere where you are only supposed to talk about a certain issue and bartenders make sure you stick to that issue. It's more likely that there was one once than that there is one now. And that because, if such a bar ever existed, it went out of business very very quickly. Of course, it's a lot more likely that there never was such an establishment in the first place.

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Because a bar is not a thread on a forum. Maybe there is a bar somewhere where you are only supposed to talk about a certain issue and bartenders make sure you stick to that issue. It's more likely that there was one once than that there is one now. And that because, if such a bar ever existed, it went out of business very very quickly. Of course, it's a lot more likely that there never was such an establishment in the first place.

Yep, I think it would need to have at least four sections in the bar, and a different topic in each section. Mind you, a Brexit section would be a bad idea. Alcohol and Brexit debates would be a dangerous mix ?

30 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

We have so many sock puppets both on internet forums, does it really matter what people say they are from?

Earlier Russian trolls used to have either a pretty lady or a half naked adonis as their avatar and some ridiculous 'ArmyVet' etc. handle, depending the people they wanted to get along with their views. Nowadays they have become smarter and don't relieve their identity so easily.

In a bar, it's quite difficult to hide one's accent and habitus on face-to-face interactions with strangers. Here the task is way easier.

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I realise more Scots voted to remain.  But I said "the majority of British people".  Until the Scots have voted for independence, what I said is correct, no?

And by the way, I would never claim to speak for the whole of the UK.

You said it there in the post I was replying to:

34 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

the gradual advance towards a united states of Europe has pushed the UK public into voting Brexit.

While you are technically correct in how you wrote it, I think it would be more reflective of the view on the ground if you were to acknowledge that it is actually English & Welsh voters who have initiated Brexit.

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

While you are technically correct in how you wrote it, I think it would be more reflective of the view on the ground if you were to acknowledge that it is actually English & Welsh voters who have initiated Brexit.

Maybe you could narrow it down it bit more RR, Salford, Scarborough and Sunderland voted leave too, we voted as the United Kingdom whether you like it or not.

9 minutes ago, oilinki said:

We have so many sock puppets both on internet forums, does it really matter what people say they are from?

Earlier Russian trolls used to have either a pretty lady or a half naked adonis as their avatar and some ridiculous 'ArmyVet' etc. handle, depending the people they wanted to get along with their views. Nowadays they have become smarter and don't relieve their identity so easily.

In a bar, it's quite difficult to hide one's accent and habitus on face-to-face interactions with strangers. Here the task is way easier.

Like I said, it's your (or his) prerogative.  I find it more interesting to know the nationality of who I'm speaking to, particularly on a topic like Brexit where there are many interests at play in many countries. If it was a topic about smoking or bad driving that's different.

There may be the occasional sock puppet, but I'm not concerned about that.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Maybe you could narrow it down it bit more RR, Salford, Scarborough and Sunderland voted leave too, we voted as the United Kingdom whether you like it or not.

I think that Brexit is creating significant ill feeling on the continent - nobody likes to be rejected; personally, I would prefer that the owners of Brexit wear it with pride, but don't claim that all countries within the UK are supportive of it.

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

How far do you want me to break it down - town by town?  London voted Remain. Sorry, but it's impractical to take every part of the UK's feelings into account when making a statement about the result of a referendum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

How far do you want me to break it down - town by town?  London voted Remain. Sorry, but it's impractical to take every part of the UK's feelings into account when making a statement about the result of a referendum.

It's not impractical at all - the UK consists of 2 countries, 1 principality and 6 provinces. The difference in opinion is clear across those constituent areas so it is simple and more accurate to write "the gradual advance towards a united states of Europe has pushed the English and Welsh public into voting Brexit.".

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Has UK thrived without its colonies? Pound has been in a decline since WW2, why would that change now?

Edited by stevenl

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think that Brexit is creating significant ill feeling on the continent - nobody likes to be rejected; personally, I would prefer that the owners of Brexit wear it with pride, but don't claim that all countries within the UK are supportive of it.

This thread is about the UK, I know you are very passionate about indepence for Scotland, but the Scots had a vote on it and decided to remain part of the UK. I know all our countries are not supportive of the referendum result, but we voted as the UK, not Scot, Eng, Ire and Wales. Sunderland didn't agree with Newcastle, it makes no difference, they can moan about it as much as they like, but that's how democracy works. 

I know there are many on here that are equally (well nearly) as passionate as you about indy, but there are also many Scots who wish to remain part of the Union. I think you should respect their opinion too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

- snip -

I agree with you that a lot of countries benefit from the EU, and that the EU has done some good things. But what you need to understand is that the majority of British people value sovereignty and independence over ever closer union.

I understand your point of view, which is very ideological.
Can you give concrete examples where the EU has limited you personally in your sovereignty or independence?

As a EU citizen, you can study, work, life, buy a house, travel to/in any eu country. That is a freedom and independence many wish to have too. 

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It's not impractical at all - the UK consists of 2 countries, 1 principality and 6 provinces. The difference in opinion is clear across those constituent areas so it is simple and more accurate to write "the gradual advance towards a united states of Europe has pushed the English and Welsh public into voting Brexit.".

But what about the 38% of Scots who voted leave - would they not be fed up if I left them out?

And if I said 'English and Welsh', will we not have Londoners objecting to that?

Anyway, I understand your point but I'm not going to break it down every time I mention the referendum result.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

quite strange really,

it seems to me that one of the forefront Brexit politicians that have received minimal flak after the referendum is Farage

You'd better direct that question to the remainers.

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

what question?

have I missed something?

"it seems to me that one of the forefront Brexit politicians that have received minimal flak after the referendum is Farage"

Sorry I must have misread what you meant, so is a good thing or a bad thing Farage not getting flak.

28 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

As a EU citizen, you can study, work, life, buy a house, travel to/in any eu country. That is a freedom and independence many wish to have too. 

There are currently approximately 1 million UK Citizens throughout the EU, mainly in 6 Countries.

There are currently 3.5 million UK Citizens throughout  the rest of the World, mainly in 6 Countries.

That suggests to me that UK Citizens are not really that fussed about the EU and prefer to spread their wings in the wider World.

Last but not least. There is NO such thing as a an EU Citizen, you are a Citizen of the Country that you hold a passport for. 

Stop confusing rights that you hold as a Citizen of an EU Country with EU Citizenship.

36 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I understand your point of view, which is very ideological.
Can you give concrete examples where the EU has limited you personally in your sovereignty or independence?

As an example, if we have to follow rules laid down by a body outside of the UK, and are under the jurisdiction of a court outside the UK, our sovereignty is eroded.

The freedom to live around Europe is (was) a good thing for some people, I grant you that. Travel though - we won't be barred from taking a holiday in Spain as far as I'm aware.

Edited by CG1 Blue

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

"it seems to me that one of the forefront Brexit politicians that have received minimal flak after the referendum is Farage"

Sorry I must have misread what you meant, so is a good thing or a bad thing Farage not getting flak.

good or bad? I don't really have an opinion on that

I just find it somewhat strange since Farage was one of the very key politicians making Brexit happen

I am quite surprised actually

14 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I just find it somewhat strange since Farage was one of the very key politicians making Brexit happen

Trust me, Farage gets his fair share of flack, especially on his radio talk shows. He takes it pretty well actually.

16 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Well that's cleared that up then.

42 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Entering into a conversation at a bar with a stranger, one of the first things most people ask is where the other is from. 

This is not the bar. This is a public discussion board. I prefer to not disclose too much personal information on the internet. 

And if we met in a bar, although I would tell where I am from, I would certainly not discuss Brexit with you. And that does not have anything to do with my or your nationality, but with the fact that politics are not a good small talk topic (I actually did the mistake at a company event with two French guys and two Malaysian girls: the one anti-EU French guy had to argue against us four and even the discussion was polite and constructive, the night was ruined). 

For example, Germany benefit a lot from the EU, particularly from the Euro.

Like said earlier, I believe all member states benefit from the EU, especially in the long run. 

But what you need to understand is that the majority of British people value sovereignty and independence over ever closer union.

That’s the problem with referendums. The masses don’t necessarily decide what’s good for the economy. 

I guess we are both allowed to read in our Chrystal balls. 

• Like 1