Singapore Airlines back on top. Thai Airways in 10th place.

rooster59

Singapore Airlines back on top. Thai Airways in 10th place.

By The Thaiger

Singapore-Airlines-1000x600.jpg

PHOTO: Flyer Talk

Singapore Airlines is back on top after a decade held out of the top airline position by middle-eastern competition. It’s their fourth win since the Skytrax World Airline awards started back in 2001.

The island nation’s national carrier was named Airline of the Year at the 2018 Skytrax World Airline awards. Singapore Airlines was last top of the list in 2008. This year it forced out last year’s top honours winner, Qatar Airways, into second place.

Yeoh Phee Teik, Singapore Airlines’s senior vice president of customer experience, said “We’re very ecstatic.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/singapore-airlines-back-on-top-thai-airways-in-10th-place

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-22

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure if Thai air deserves the number ten ranking. I hear their business class is good. But economy? My few experiences with Thai were very underwhelming.

Thai biz class is a drag - so were first class

employees are as service minded as they are in BigCs and 7/11s

23 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

skytrax sells its "services", so these rankings are not definitive.

what you say doesn't surprise me at all,

having spent 30 years crisscrossing the planet over and over and over I have actually never understood these rankings

anyway - they measure things of fine little interest to very frequent travellers

(they don't measure what counts)

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure if Thai air deserves the number ten ranking. I hear their business class is good. But economy? My few experiences with Thai were very underwhelming.

Oddly enough, they not only got 10th place overall, they got 1st place in Economy catering.

I guess to win in economy you just need to be a little bit less bad than all the others.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Oddly enough, they not only got 10th place overall, they got 1st place in Economy catering.

I guess to win in economy you just need to be a little bit less bad than all the others.

Economy  ??   Thai  ???      they increase the price when not getting the custom,   to get further revenue,    Ha Ha,   no wonder other airlines are getting their business.   They near have a monopoly from BKK  for direct flights, Just a pity Air Asia don't have a flight to England.....that would really shake them up.

17 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Economy  ??   Thai  ???      they increase the price when not getting the custom,   to get further revenue,    Ha Ha,   no wonder other airlines are getting their business.   They near have a monopoly from BKK  for direct flights, Just a pity Air Asia don't have a flight to England.....that would really shake them up.

nothing would shake up a mastodont like TG

3 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

My favourite airline, GO Singapore, Go !! and the best airport to go along with it, PLUS the shortest time through immigration of any airport averaging, over 400+ trips, around 30 seconds !!!!!!!! Why can,t Bangkok learn a few things from Singapore ?

yes, Singapore and immigration is smth for Thailand to look at

5 hours ago, ginjag said:

Why would the home country not have a monopoly on direct flights ?

by the way how many DIRECT flights to Dubai / Abu Dhabi / Qatar does TA have over other airlines

7 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Thai biz class is a drag - so were first class

employees are as service minded as they are in BigCs and 7/11s

I've flown in first numerous times and whilst I will admit the service can be a little hit and miss on occasions that's no different to any other airline. It just depends on what crew you get and how well they are trained. I flew back from BKK yesterday and the service was exceptional.

5 hours ago, ginjag said:

Do they? There are three airlines that fly direct from London. BA, Eva and Thai, hardly a monopoly. Out of the three I've always found BA prices to be ludicrous and Eva are usually more expensive than Thai.

9 hours ago, cookieqw said:

Why would the home country not have a monopoly on direct flights ?

by the way how many DIRECT flights to Dubai / Abu Dhabi / Qatar does TA have over other airlines

Read,  I said NEAR...............  DMK  Air Asia,  Good idea.    London--Direct flights to BKK ??  google it.

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Do they? There are three airlines that fly direct from London. BA, Eva and Thai, hardly a monopoly. Out of the three I've always found BA prices to be ludicrous and Eva are usually more expensive than Thai.

Quote " you have always  found "   ????       WRONG about EVA, I have never found EVA  more expensive,, try Philip, Qantas, Get your google sorted

If Thai is 10 Air Asia would be 110. They would be the worst airline I have ever flown with. Oh, one thing they did shine in they scared my wife once when we were flying to Singapore. Which is one thing I have never been able to do? Well done Air Asia. Here is my scorecard for Air Asia. Service 0  Safety0 Planes on time 0 Economy seating 0 Rudeness 10 Don't care attitude more important play phones 10 Then you look on the wall inside the plane and you see they get a 5-star rating with Skytrax What a joke? Sooner pay bit extra then travel by Air Asia

2 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

If Thai is 10 Air Asia would be 110. They would be the worst airline I have ever flown with. Oh, one thing they did shine in they scared my wife once when we were flying to Singapore. Which is one thing I have never been able to do? Well done Air Asia. Here is my scorecard for Air Asia. Service 0  Safety0 Planes on time 0 Economy seating 0 Rudeness 10 Don't care attitude more important play phones 10 Then you look on the wall inside the plane and you see they get a 5-star rating with Skytrax What a joke? Sooner pay bit extra then travel by Air Asia

Why did you fly again with Air Asia ??   or was your summing up on 1 flight to Singapore  ??   Pay Thai prices then.  Air Asia do very well without your custom Sure they not use Dakota DC4.  ha ha

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Steven if you have ever flown Air Asia check it out ok?

55 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Why did you fly again with Air Asia ??   or was your summing up on 1 flight to Singapore  ??   Pay Thai prices then.  Air Asia do very well without your custom Sure they not use Dakota DC4.  ha ha

One and only time I flew with them. Let you on secret Check airfare Yeah sure they are cheap and here is the money maker for them, Luggage add that on and you nearly pay the same. The Air Asia flight that went from Perth to Kuala Lumper One engine went out The lady passenger said she  was scared But when she looked at the air hostess on that plane they were all crying I would say lack of training 

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

Just now, Happyman58 said:

One and only time I flew with them. Let you on secret Check airfare Yeah sure they are cheap and here is the money maker for them, Luggage add that on and you nearly pay the same. The Air Asia flight that went from Perth to Kuala Lumper One engine went out The lady passenger said she  was scared But when she looked at the air hostess on that plane they were all crying I would say lack of training 

Just now, ginjag said:

Air Asia, Nok, Lion,  seem to do very well,     Some people who post may have an attitude problem.  We all over the years have had some not so nice flights but we are talking about the average ones.

Archived