Work Permit for small food business

Hello!

My name is Dave, Italian citizen living and working in Thailand as a Cook from 1 year.

I'm planning to open a small business with my girlfriend, it will be a food stall in a Big C food court.

Is it possible to obtaining a working permit that allows me to cook in my stall?

Thank you very much for the attention.

Regards,

Dave

Thank you for the answer!

what it means to register the company for 2 million baht?

Do they need to see that money or it's just a document?

Sorry butI'm just a cook, with 2 million baht I can buy a house with land in my country.

I need just a table and a burner to work, I don't think can be registered for that money.

2 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

The registered capital is on paper but may need to proved after registration for other reasons. It can be assets, furniture and equipment for the company.

6 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

Thank you for the answer!

what it means to register the company for 2 million baht?

Sorry butI'm just a cook, with 2 million baht I can buy a house with land in my country.

I need just a table and a burner to work, I don't think can be registered for that money.

They might need to see the 2 million. They will definitely look into your books for the 4 employees.

You've been already working a year?

30 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

Is it possible to obtaining a working permit that allows me to cook in my stall?

Possible, but I doubt it. You should ask at your local labour office before doing anything else.

Teach your girlfriend how to cook and let her do it. ?

A company is not really necessary as you can also start a partnership with your friend. This does not need shareholders, registered capital etc. You still need the four Thai employees though.

But if you marry her, two employees would be enough.

Here is the catch. The officials who have to do this for you will not do it, because they do not know their own laws and just keep things simple for themselves.

A lawyer (brrr, the thought.....) should be able to help with that.

1 minute ago, Khun Jean said:

This does not need shareholders, registered capital etc.

The 2 million baht registered capital is required to get a work permit. It does not matter if it is partnership or company.

You are correct when you want it the easy way.

But here a quote from Thai embassy website (Siam legal International)

offers another option.

An expatriate who has an income and duty to pay personal income tax to the Revenue Department of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht, or already paid personal income tax in the past year of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht.

As he already had a job before he would probably qualify for this.

7 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

In my country they pay me the same but the cost of life is higher. By the way a regular thai cook gets about 10.000 baht here in Bangkok.

Then you are one of the lowest paid cooks in Italy as the average pay for a cook is 370 THB per hour.

18000 THB per month for a foreigner here is a joke. 

What are you talking about? Have you never worked in italy? I worked in my city in 5 restaurants, plus in other 2 cities in my country. I worked in spain, portugal and Germany. I start working in restaurants when I was 15 and I can tell you, I have a much high quality of life here. Less stress, nice house with swimming pool and gym. Forget it in Italy. In any case the average means nothing. If you eat 2 chiken and I eat none, we average eat one chiken each. 

Well if you are happy with 18.000 baht a month, good for you.

It can be sufficient for now, but what about a bit of security. Health insurance, an emergency, saving etc.

I think it is a salary that is way to low.

I expected an experienced Italian cook making at least 30-40000 a month.

I understand the wish to work for yourself. Even with a push cart you will make more.

But alas..... workpermit.....

Edited by Khun Jean

22 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

In my country they pay me the same but the cost of life is higher. By the way a regular thai cook gets about 10.000 baht here in Bangkok.

The minimum average in Italy is closer to 60k baht a month.

If you made 18k baht back home there is something wrong with your cooking.

You are sadly mistaken if your want to own a food cart here.

You couldn't afford medical insurance running a cart.

My 2 cents worth.

The minimum average is only if you have a contract, very few people work with contracts in restaurant in italy, it's all black work. Aniway yes, that's what I mean too. I can work in Bangkok for more money but they don't want to make a working permit, my boss is stingy but he made me the documents. The pushcart will be perfect but you cannot have 4 employees in a pushcart.

2 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

The minimum average is only if you have a contract, very few people work with contracts in restaurant in italy, it's all black work. Aniway yes, that's what I mean too. I can work in Bangkok for more money but they don't want to make a working permit, my boss is stingy but he made me the documents. The pushcart will be perfect but you cannot have 4 employees in a pushcart.

You are nuts if you think many Italians are working for 18k baht.

If you can't get a work permit through a proper job, then you definitely can't get a work permit for a food cart. Go ahead,  get a pushcart, then work illegally without the company and 4 employees.

Up to you.

Yep, probably looking for a job in the wrong places. A good cook will always make good money in Bangkok and elsewhere.

Maybe you need to polish up your negotiating skills.

Any restaurant worth to work for will get you a workpermit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

Requiring an investment, 4 Thai employees, and a work permit.

Yes, that is now a known fact . But what else...... only thing left is finding a job.

If you are a good cook, and have a good plan, find someone to partner up with if you do not have the money to invest.

• Like 1

Thank you very much everybody. I'm very glad that you are worried for my job but it is definitely out of topic.

I just want to cook on a stall, I have the money to invest in a small business but I'm not putting 2 million baht for selling food for 50 baht. It's no sense and sure the other food stalls in Bangkok didn't register with that money otherwise I want to see them selling ka phrao with rice for 40 baht. 

I saw already 2 farang selling food in the street in tv. One with the bycicle selling veggie burgers and another one in a open market also selling burgers, was a guy with no legs. I don't think the guy with the bycicle have 4 employes while he is alone. There must be a way.

15 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

Thank you very much everybody. I'm very glad that you are worried for my job but it is definitely out of topic.

I just want to cook on a stall, I have the money to invest in a small business but I'm not putting 2 million baht for selling food for 50 baht. It's no sense and sure the other food stalls in Bangkok didn't register with that money otherwise I want to see them selling ka phrao with rice for 40 baht. 

I saw already 2 farang selling food in the street in tv. One with the bycicle selling veggie burgers and another one in a open market also selling burgers, was a guy with no legs. I don't think the guy with the bycicle have 4 employes while he is alone. There must be a way.

There isn't a illegal way to do it, that doesn't require an investment and Thai staff. 

You might consider doing all of your cooking at home and then have the TGF do the finishing off at the BigC stall with you nowhere to be seen. That doesn't help you get a visa but it might be a way to get the business started.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

OK You came on here asking questions about legitimacy with zero interest of doing this with proper paperwork. Go ahead. Just work illegally like the others you see.

56 minutes ago, Dave9019 said:

2 pushing 2 pulling ?