Made in Thailand: Mercedes AMG GLC C43 Coupe

The C43 version of the Mercedes AMG GLC Coupe arrived in Thailand last week and since it is made in Thailand, it is fairly reasonable priced at 4.69 million baht.

The only reason to buy this car is for the 3 l gasoline engine and the 362 HP it produce, but does it really make sense?

Toward the end of the Mercedes price list you find the GLE500e Exclusive for 4.76 million. A much bigger car with the same 3 l engine, but because it is plug-in hybrid taxed lower and priced virtually the same as the smaller GLC.

Benz Price List 05_05_2018 (11 May)_Eng_white.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The GLC43 is definitely faster due to the lighter weight and more HP at 362 vs 333 for the GLE. It'll also get a bump later this year to 390hp. 

GLE is bigger but it's older and due for a refresh soon. Interior is more similar to the last-generation E-Class. I expect when they refresh it the interior will be much more similar to the current generation E-Class which is much better. Though it'll probably get a bump up in cost too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, Crash999 said:

The GLC43 is definitely faster due to the lighter weight and more HP at 362 vs 333 for the GLE. It'll also get a bump later this year to 390hp. 

GLE is bigger but it's older and due for a refresh soon. Interior is more similar to the last-generation E-Class. I expect when they refresh it the interior will be much more similar to the current generation E-Class which is much better. Though it'll probably get a bump up in cost too. 

The GLE500e does have 333 + 116 HP and is 700 kg heavier than the GLC 43, so you get a lot more at essentially the same price.

The dated interior is of course a drawback.  

https://www.auto-data.net/en/mercedes-benz-gle-suv-w166-gle-500e-v6-333-116hp-4matic-g-tronic-hybrid-22063

https://www.auto-data.net/en/mercedes-benz-glc-c253-amg-glc-43-367hp-4matic-g-tronic-26419

• Like 2

On 8/20/2018 at 1:53 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The GLE500e does have 333 + 116 HP and is 700 kg heavier than the GLC 43, so you get a lot more at essentially the same price.

The dated interior is of course a drawback.  

https://www.auto-data.net/en/mercedes-benz-gle-suv-w166-gle-500e-v6-333-116hp-4matic-g-tronic-hybrid-22063

https://www.auto-data.net/en/mercedes-benz-glc-c253-amg-glc-43-367hp-4matic-g-tronic-26419

First one looks banging! 

• Like 1

looked at both GLC and GLE and preferred the GLC, not only because it was cheaper! Interior of the GLC nicer and the trunk of the GLE is probably not bigger (might even be smaller) due to the hybrid battery, it also makes the loading bay very high, increase of roughly 15cm i would guess? Exterior also felt more clunky....but sure the new model will correct those issues. As an alternative I would definitely consider the XC90 T8. Interior is a class act, engine is very strong. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frankphuket said:

looked at both GLC and GLE and preferred the GLC, not only because it was cheaper! Interior of the GLC nicer and the trunk of the GLE is probably not bigger (might even be smaller) due to the hybrid battery, it also makes the loading bay very high, increase of roughly 15cm i would guess? Exterior also felt more clunky....but sure the new model will correct those issues. As an alternative I would definitely consider the XC90 T8. Interior is a class act, engine is very strong. 

Good and valid points. The GLC 43 is disproportional expensive compared to the much bigger GLE500e, to the point where is make absolute no sense to buy the GLC 43.

My guess is that we will soon (next year!) see plug-in hybrid versions of all the GLC models and that will, because of tax alone, probably cut 4-500,000 baht off the GLC sticker price, making it much more attractive again.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 7:44 AM, frankphuket said:

Check reliability info. Powertrain is quite new and I’m not sure how robust the dealer network here is in Thailand to deal with issues that may come up.

Also resale on Volvo isn’t as strong as with Benz.