PM Prayut advises detractors to stop reading newspapers for 5 days

webfact

You guys are hilarious. I havent laughed as much for a while when reading most of the comments :cheesy:

Surely most of you dont actually live in Thailand. If you do, then clearly most of you dont understand the country or the people - and certainly not the language.

Translation is one of the first steps to understanding another language or culture.  The first is wanting to - clearly most here dont. That is not what he said. He didnt say it in English, he said what he said in Thai and the translation applied is wrong - according to the wife (and that makes sense to me). The wife does not like or hate the PM - right now business is bad for the poorer people in Thailand and good for the rich - she does not support what him/Junta have been doing to economy - but she likes the attacks that have been made on corruption and that the wealthy are not getting away with as much as they used to (hotels are being shut down - property is being resumed - etc etc - that did not happen before). 

I also dont read newspapers or watch news on TV because it is all so negative. Not just about Trump, but about everything.  Good news gets nowhere while bad news travels around the world in minutes.  If all you do is listen to and watch bad news stories, it will make you negative towards life.  Thais are all about enjoying life - they avoid bad news and bad issues.  They know and understand that it really is a load of khr**p and it only makes them feel negative.  Yes - that attitude makes some things that need addressing to be avoided, but overall I like that way and that attitude to life.  Newspapers and TV News are too much about negative issues - they blow it all out of proportion and watching/listening to it is not good for you - if you want to keep a positive outlook on life.  Try if for a while - you will be amazed how little all that stuff actually matters.  Eg.  Israel and Arabs/Palestinians etc - what difference does it make to my/your life really?  It has been a disaster since I was a boy - always was and always will be - but all that trouble has made absolutely no difference to my/your life.  The same applies for so many other issues/problems.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

That is not what he said. He didnt say it in English, he said what he said in Thai and the translation applied is wrong - according to the wife (and that makes sense to me)

So what did he say? You can't just say he didn't say that and follow it up with nothing. 

My wife, who's very Thai and has only pure Thai blood in her, said he did say that. I won't support that with any evidence because it (makes sense to me). 

12 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Good news gets nowhere while bad news travels around the world in minutes

Yes, maybe the news should just be a dispassionate list of all the good things happening throughout the world. Only, if we apply your logic of how bad news works, won't it just make people think everything is great and there are no problems in the world. Better hope there isn't someone out there who'd exploit that situation for their own ends. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

You guys are hilarious. I havent laughed as much for a while when reading most of the comments :cheesy:

Surely most of you dont actually live in Thailand. If you do, then clearly most of you dont understand the country or the people - and certainly not the language.

Translation is one of the first steps to understanding another language or culture.  The first is wanting to - clearly most here dont. That is not what he said. He didnt say it in English, he said what he said in Thai and the translation applied is wrong - according to the wife (and that makes sense to me). The wife does not like or hate the PM - right now business is bad for the poorer people in Thailand and good for the rich - she does not support what him/Junta have been doing to economy - but she likes the attacks that have been made on corruption and that the wealthy are not getting away with as much as they used to (hotels are being shut down - property is being resumed - etc etc - that did not happen before). 

I also dont read newspapers or watch news on TV because it is all so negative. Not just about Trump, but about everything.  Good news gets nowhere while bad news travels around the world in minutes.  If all you do is listen to and watch bad news stories, it will make you negative towards life.  Thais are all about enjoying life - they avoid bad news and bad issues.  They know and understand that it really is a load of khr**p and it only makes them feel negative.  Yes - that attitude makes some things that need addressing to be avoided, but overall I like that way and that attitude to life.  Newspapers and TV News are too much about negative issues - they blow it all out of proportion and watching/listening to it is not good for you - if you want to keep a positive outlook on life.  Try if for a while - you will be amazed how little all that stuff actually matters.  Eg.  Israel and Arabs/Palestinians etc - what difference does it make to my/your life really?  It has been a disaster since I was a boy - always was and always will be - but all that trouble has made absolutely no difference to my/your life.  The same applies for so many other issues/problems.

The Thai language article  (same pic) and the English as posted in the OP are 2 completely different articles. With the quotation marks and it being a major news source I don't doubt he said it, but the story pumped out for the Thai readership was completely different. The only quote was for the populace to "not grow bored of him".

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Back in the eighties IIRC, there was a newspaper which was committed to only printing good news.

The first piece of bad news it printed was to say it was going out of business, as not enough people were interested in only good news.

Everybody knows the saying, "if it bleeds, it leads".

• Like 1