TAT officially launches project to tackle increasing garbage at tourist spots

webfact

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

No mention at all of adding lots and lots and lots and lots of trash cans--which should be step 1.  Step 2, emptying them regularly.  As a previous poster mentioned, they only seem to be found at 7-11s.  

It would be nice to think it's an act of CSR, but perhaps it's due to the fact a lot of the customers dump the plastic bags and remove excess packaging as soon as they exit the shop?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said today that the new campaign hopes to persuade business operators and tourists to stop using plastic and switch to fabric bags and reusable containers, in most instances.

Dear Mr. governor is time to recognize that the most garbage is used and dropped around by the Thai peoples, have a good look at your country everywhere is garbage around, in same place much more than in any tourist destination. 

To know your country well is the best way to find a solution out of that garbage!

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The tourist waste producing facilities I have visited are an utter disgrace

What is a "tourist waste producing facility"?

(Can't find the answer on the Internet)

I live in the boonies not far out of Pattaya.

Every day, I see the result of all the Tourists bringing their trash out of the City to dump in my Village.

The result of all their industrious activity is plain for all to see, with building rubble, miles of stripped electric cable plastic, the remains of a Chicken farm ( complete with all the s^&t., and thats only the half of it

Trashy Tourists - I hate em .

Even plastic has a weight. So tourists filling their suitcases with it and bringing it to Thailand so they can throw it away doesn’t seem feasible to me, so that means someone in Thailand is giving them the plastic. In a country that is renowned for rice, I can’t believe someone hasn’t come up with some kind of rice-paper packaging 

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It would be nice to think it's an act of CSR, but perhaps it's due to the fact a lot of the customers dump the plastic bags and remove excess packaging as soon as they exit the shop?

Who or what is CSR in the context of your post?

1 hour ago, futsukayoi said:

I walk my dog along beaches in Koh Samui every morning and at least 99% of the garbage covering them is caused by Thais.

Based on your observation, are these Thais locally resident or are they Thai tourists?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the TAT hopes to encourage tourists to avoid producing waste and dumping it at any tourist destination. 

As usual , and not only in Thailand the authorities are completely out of touch with reality and daily life.....????

They are not saying tourists are to blame, they only mean that garbage "must not be seen in tourist spots anymore",  because it is threatening the tourism industry...  They just need to drop and burn it a few dozen of kilometers farther eg on military bases where tourists cannot see it.

3 minutes ago, TrueOrNothing said:

They are not saying tourists are to blame, they only mean that garbage "must not be seen in tourist spots anymore",  because it is threatening the tourism industry...  They just need to drop and burn it a few dozen of kilometers farther eg on military bases where tourists cannot see it.

From what I've read here about the military, I thought their bases were full of garbage already.

Start with my soi. It's become a garage tip in the last five years. I'm utterly disgusted by the sights and smells. Nowhere near the flat but must walk by it to get to MRT. Ruined best little soi in BKK. Half Chinese from new small hotel. Balance neighbors and 711+ a pub.

Lawless.