thinking of renting an apartment

It has no wifi, how much will this cost? Maybe a usb stick?

It's 10k a month they want 30k in advance. Should i be worried? What if i want to leave after 1 month? Will they return the balance?

Do i need to register where i stay with immigration?

Edited by Don Chance

It has no wifi, how much will this cost? Maybe a usb stick?

It's 10k a month they want 30k in advance. Should i be worried? What if i want to leave after 1 month? Will they return the balance?

Do i need to register where i stay with immigration?

One month deposit is fair. Depends how long the agreement is? Ask them about returning the balance. If it doesn't sound good, find somewhere else. Some landlords are very good and fair, others are not.

As for internet, get an AIS monthly data sim around 500 baht a month for 4mbps. There's a couple of threads currently knocking about on the subject

I guess if the worst comes the tourist police would help to get it back. I'll bet the lease isn't in English either, but i read it is suppose to be.

It is 1 month, last month and 10k for utilities.

So i stayed for 1 month and few weeks, then i decided to leave, so i contact the landlord and say i'm leaving Friday, they would come on Friday and return the deposit? Makes it kind of tricky if you make plans and they don't show up.  I guess most Thai's are honest. Maybe they would show up earlier. Or do they want 1 months notice you are leaving. I think this place has been empty for a long time, i heard the lady died and it has been closed every since (without the body!)

I guess if the worst comes the tourist police would help to get it back. I'll bet the lease isn't in English either, but i read it is suppose to be.

So i stayed for 1 month and few weeks, then i decided to leave, so i contact the landlord and say i'm leaving Friday, they would come on Friday and return the deposit? Makes it kind of tricky if you make plans and they don't show up.  I guess most Thai's are honest. Maybe they would show up earlier. Or do they want 1 months notice you are leaving. I think this place has been empty for a long time, i heard the lady died and it has been closed every since (without the body!)

Tourist police won't help. Deposit is usually returned the day before you leave unless they want to be difficult for whatever reason. Ask for the draft agreement it should state notice period. In my place i pay 1 month deposit and rent for the month ahead, the following month i pay for the elec and water I've used plus next month rent. That's fair and how it should be. I have 6 months minimum in the agreement in order to get the rate i wanted. Just try to agree what you want and look for alternatives. Greedy landlords should be avoided

The 20,000 on top is probably a security deposit. It really depends on how honest your landlord(s) is/are whether you would get it back after one month. You need to study the terms of your lease carefully, get it translated if necessary. If they don't provide a lease in writing, WALK AWAY. Shop around, don't sign up to the first on offer.

WiFi is anywhere between 250 - 500 baht/month. Some condos provide it free in common areas. Paying for the WiFi is usually the tenant's responsibility, along with power and water.

Yes, you do need to get a TM30 form done for Immigration. Don't assume it's the responsibility of the condo or landlord, because that's a grey area.

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Grey area? It่s written in the headline of the form itself

I have been coming and going from Thailand for 10 years. The last time I went for my retirement extension, my agent asked me for a copy of the TM30. I then found out neither the landlord nor the condo management had submitted a TM30 for the previous 9 years.

It may well be as you say. However, there's a difference between what a form says, and what actually happens.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

The OP isnt clear in what he wants is it an "apartment" or condo?

ie "serviced apartment" which you can  stay in weekly  monthly etc or condo in which case you will sign a contract etc and leaving early ( if the owner has 4 or less condos) will forfeit the whole deposit

The guy never show up to show me the place. I got talking to a neighbor who then brought me down about 10 doors to another rental, same 10k a month but only 5k security deposit.  Nice owner, felt i can trust him. Sign a lease with english and thai written. Decent place so far, 2 story town house, quite area near downtown, space furnishing but ok, a decent couch. Pretty happy so far. Beds are hard, i think i will find a foam pad, 2" topper should be available near by.

3 air cons, but only me, so run the main on in the day, and the other one in the bed room at night, what do you think that will cost me?

Nice owner, i can see what he likes about me, i look like i have cash as opposed to a thai family who might wreck the place and not pay rent on time.  I wonder what the squatting laws are like in Thailand ? Probably nothing compared my country.lol.

I am hooked to neighbors wi-fi. Ask and you will receive. Again nothing like my country, i wouldn't dream of asking a neib to use their wi-fi because i would be probably be NO.  Slow connection. Probably still get some wifi usb stick, i don't have a cell phone so sim is probably not worth it to buy a phone?

10k + what 1k utilities, is only 366 bht a day!

giphy.gif

Edited by Don Chance

• 5 weeks later...
Well i got some bad advice here.

I would not pay any deposit in Thailand again, unless i was ready to lose it.  You guys should have warned me.

Same with that AIS wifi stick is really slow and can not even search google half the time.
What happened with the accomodation? And what AIS package did you get? My 4mbps is great

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 hours ago, Don Chance said:
Well i got some bad advice here.

I would not pay any deposit in Thailand again, unless i was ready to lose it.  You guys should have warned me.

Same with that AIS wifi stick is really slow and can not even search google half the time.

What happened with the accomodation? And what AIS package did you get? My 4mbps is great

Guy stiffed me on the deposit. The AIS was slow in Krabi, i had the 4g package. I'm stuck with the 2000baht pocket wifi now. Could have had a real connection for 600+600 per month would have been simpler.

Guy stiffed me on the deposit. The AIS was slow in Krabi, i had the 4g package. I'm stuck with the 2000baht pocket wifi now. Could have had a real connection for 600+600 per month would have been simpler.
With any phone company who should really check for a day before signing up for a longer period. The only way to avoid paying a deposit is staying at a hotel

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

With any phone company who should really check for a day before signing up for a longer period. The only way to avoid paying a deposit is staying at a hotel

I would try to negotiate without a deposit, plan on staying the extra time to cover the deposit a friend of mine did this for 2 months.  Also try to get the deposit back 1 week in advance. At least people should be warned that it is very likely they will lose the deposit. 

I guess 15,000 instead of 10,000 for  1 month was not really that bad including utilities, still cheaper than a guesthouse. It is a bad feeling get ripped off.

This place had some mold problems too, so wasn't the best month in Thailand. I think Krabi has some bad feelings now with with farangs and locals.

It sounds like you're attempting to rent a long term rental when really you're looking for vacation type short term rental.

You normally only get a good price when you're talking about a year at a time, a long term rental.

Did you get a contract that allowed you to leave with no notice or are you just gaming the system here to save some pocket change ?

A normal amount of notice before moving would be one month.

Edited by ukrules

On 8/31/2018 at 1:25 AM, ukrules said:

It sounds like you're attempting to rent a long term rental when really you're looking for vacation type short term rental.

You normally only get a good price when you're talking about a year at a time, a long term rental.

Did you get a contract that allowed you to leave with no notice or are you just gaming the system here to save some pocket change ?

A normal amount of notice before moving would be one month.

No i told him i might only stay one month. Nothing in the lease.

Actually the place had some mold issues, which i suspect why they where renting it out, or i would have stayed another month or two. There area  four vacant townhouse units in an area close to down town. I think it is a wide spread issue.

Also i remember when the guy sign the contract he refused to look me in the eye - The weasel!