49yo German national with 36 k Baht pension wants to stay for 9 months

As my friend speaks little English and it' s hard for him to get someone at the phone at the Thai embassy that speaks German, I have a few questions for him here. He wants to visit a friend, living in Ubon Ratchathani, to stay away from the cold winter in Germany. He won't have costs for  accommodation and will turn 50yo in November. As he is disabled, he want's to travel with his friend end of August, so he hasn't to travel by himself. He doesn't need a wheelchair, but walks on sticks from time to time. Could you please advice him what kind of visa will suit him? And perhaps a health insurance, as he couldn't find one that will cover former illnesses. Thank you in advance

Edited by MikeRay

As a german i know from experience that medical insurance can be a big pain for him. The normal 'Reisekrankenversicherung' will exclude any preconditions. Also the maximum stay is limited to 42 days.

His normal medical insurance (Gesetzl. Krankenversicherung) will not cover him at all while he is in Thailand. And of course he should never travel to Thailand without proper medical insurance!

Edited by pewe
Spelling
  • Like 1

Some honorary Thai consulates in Germany used to give a multiple-entry non-O visa to recipients of a state pension regardless of the applicant's age and the pension amount, but I don't know if they are still allowed to do this.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

some of those METV application requirements were a bit tough to satisfy as many asked for income or job information. 

A pension is income but in this case is not needed anyway. For a multiple-entry tourist visa from a Thai consulate in Germany you only need to show 5,000 euros in the bank, no proof of income or employer letter etc.

I would sort out my insurance though. For sure he will get an insurance policy with a precondition. Depending on what it is it will just be (significantly) more expensive. Ask the usual suspects (ADAC, Allianz, DKV, Ergo, Hanse-Merkur etc.).

1 hour ago, BMW Overlander said:

36,000 Baht pension?

How can anyone live month to month on that money?

Quite comfortably I should imagine.

Of course he wouldn't be able to afford a BMW!

Or too many nights out with beer and girls.

But as a single man, quite comfortably.

After all, many of us keep a family on around that a month.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pewe said:

As a german i know from experience that medical insurance can be a big pain for him. The normal 'Reisekrankenversicherung' will exclude any preconditions. Also the maximum stay is limited to 42 days.

His normal medical insurance (Gesetzl. Krankenversicherung) will not cover him at all while he is in Thailand. And of course he should never travel to Thailand without proper medical insurance!

Falsch: He can get health insurance for at least one year (check24.de)

I know several SINGLE Thais that live fairly comfortable on 12,000THB a month, and a Thai family of 4 on under 20,000THB.

For a FOREIGN → visitor←  with NO housing expenses, and NO medical insurance - (bad idea) with income of 35,000THB per month, he should live a good lifestyle during his tourist →visit← UNLESS medical attention is needed.

But if retirement is the overall goal, and he can't meet the financial requirements, seek someone that can give good information before.

4 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

36,000 Baht pension?

I Do & On a LOT Less than that.......But EVERYTHING Is paid for,My Only bills are Electricity & Internet....Plu I've got NO Option that's all the U.K Government wants to give me......

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Info...

15 hours ago, pewe said:

Central offers travel insurance for up to one year for a reasonable premium.

www.central.de

It will be impossible for him to stay for a period of 9 months in Thailand I think. The longest period will be with a multi entry tourist visa (costs 150 euro) http://german.thaiembassy.de/visaarten-und-erforderliche-unterlagen. But this visa is valid for 6 months so still 3 months missing. It also requires prove of having 5000 euro on a German bank account. He still has to travel 2 times out of Thailand. or 1 time if he can get a visa extension of 30 days 2 times.

His pension is not sufficient to qualify for a "longstay" visa you can obtain if older as 50. If he has 20,000 euro savings this type of visa maybe an option after november.

Health insurance is best obtained in Germany.

My advice, If he can qualify for a longstay visa; go for 2 months on a single entry tourist visa in August and travel back in October. Then if he likes to spend more time apply for a "longstay" visa after becoming 50. Else get a multi entry visa and travel in November so he can stay until May.

Note: plane tickets are a lot cheaper if traveling with fixed dates a a return within 2 months

7 minutes ago, Paul944 said:

The longest period will be with a multi entry tourist visa (costs 150 euro) http://german.thaiembassy.de/visaarten-und-erforderliche-unterlagen. But this visa is valid for 6 months so still 3 months missing.

As I wrote in my post on page one it is possible to get almost 9 months of total stay from a multiple entry tourist visa. The visa allows unlimited

60 day entries for 6 month from the date of issue. A entry can be done just before the visa expires to get a new 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I honestly thought Germans had one of the best pension plans. Why is his so low?

I hope you can read a little bit of German.

Average Pension

This will tell you that the average pension ist around 860 Euro. SS is no paradise even in Germany, but you can get away with it. Average means that there are many people who get more, but also many people who get even less.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

36,000 Baht pension?

That should be quite easy, as he would not have to pay for his accommodation according to OP.

He won't have costs for  accommodation