Denied Entry at Poipet

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I hate that border point - it has an aggressive, intimidating feel about it. The whole town has "corruption" written over it .

That said, this incident came out of nowhere. My friend spoke to immigration on his return to Bangkok and they confirmed - obviously - that, as Non-Imm 'O" visa holder he can enter at any border point by land or air.

I used Poipet for a long time a few years ago for multi O out/ins and it was fine.

It suddenly changed, almost like overnight, a few years ago.

I 'think' it was a direct swap with staff from another office who had a 'reputation' shall we say.

Since then I haven't been near the place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

The wording on the stamp, translated to English is 'No sustenance'. Basically, he never had the funds. That's why he was denied entry. 

Thanks.... any reason why they would do that on a Non O visa ?

I understood that the 20k requirement was for tourists.

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I hate that border point - it has an aggressive, intimidating feel about it. The whole town has "corruption" written over it .

That said, this incident came out of nowhere. My friend spoke to immigration on his return to Bangkok and they confirmed - obviously - that, as Non-Imm 'O" visa holder he can enter at any border point by land or air.

Any other crossing is better than Poi Pet. Best to travel a little further to the Ban Laem crossing. After denial he could gone to that crossing and entered the country.

Not sure what Poi Pets problem is. IMO they may just want to be reported as being difficult to discourage people from entering there to reduce their workload.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is denial of entry stamp under section 12. But the clause of it in parenthesis is not legible. It looks like it could be a 4 or maybe 14 but there is no clause 14. Clause 4 is for being mentally unstable.

Suggest that it could be a (very) badly written Thai  2 ( ๒).

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I've always been slightly confused by that. Been told it was 10,000 for a single traveller, 20,000 for a family, 40,000 for a family, 20,000 for tourist visa holder, 10,000 for a visa exempt. Don't know if the day of the week comes into it. ??

Can anyone quote the real figures??

Edited by overherebc

Your welcome. My GF is a Thai English teacher who also translates for Chonburi immigration. Some Thai phrases are very difficult to translate to direct English. If as you say, he showed them the funds, I have no idea why he would denied under that clause. The rule on showing cash is 10K on a visa exempt entry and 20k on a visa or extension. I believe, but I maybe wrong, it's 40k as a family travelling together.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Any other crossing is better than Poi Pet. Best to travel a little further to the Ban Laem crossing. After denial he could gone to that crossing and entered the country.

Not sure what Poi Pets problem is. IMO they may just want to be reported as being difficult to discourage people from entering there to reduce their workload.

When he called me, I suggested Chong sa Ngam. His local border is Chong Chom but his wife wanted to visit Rong Kluea market.

I think you have to consider the emotions/fear that someone experiences in these situations. It is like someone (who has the authority and power over your life, IO's have) telling you that you have believed for 10 years is black.... is suddenly not, it is white.

He was concerned that even by flying to Don Muaeng he might still be denied entry (he wasn't, that went as smooth as clockwork - apart from the IO showing a colleague the denial stamp). The irony is that he was stamped in until 23 October 2019!

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes..... pity that didn't work with the Erewan shrine bombers!

• Thanks 1

No good reason.

The 20k baht is required for all visa entries. For visa exempt it is 10k baht.

The $600 he had is less than 20k baht is a little less than 20k baht at current rates. They normally want to see $700.

Not having financial proof can be under clause 2 and 9.

2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.

9. Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under him

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I've always been slightly confused by that. Been told it was 10,000 for a single traveller, 20,000 for a family, 40,000 for a family, 20,000 for tourist visa holder, 10,000 for a visa exempt.

Looks like I was wrong about it not applying to Non O holders.... in the days when I used them I never had 20k on me, on entry, I had a Thai bank account.

I don't know the accuracy of this source:-

https://travelhappy.info/thailand/new-proof-of-cash-requirement-for-all-tourists-entering-thailand/

Here is a an official embassy website:-

http://www.thaiembassy.org/telaviv/en/services/685/17388-Entry-to-Thailand.html

6 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Correct except for where they say visa on arrival instead of visa exempt. A 15 day visa on arrival application requires 20k baht.

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Completely incorrect.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct except for where they say visa on arrival instead of visa exempt. A 15 day visa on arrival application requires 20k baht.

Completely incorrect.

Good to know that we can rely on an official Thai embassy website !!!   ?

27 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I've always been slightly confused by that. Been told it was 10,000 for a single traveller, 20,000 for a family, 40,000 for a family, 20,000 for tourist visa holder, 10,000 for a visa exempt. Don't know if the day of the week comes into it. ??

Maybe it depends on the temperature at time of entry or even the direction of the wind.

6 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

The Army should assume command over that border crossing for 5 years.

Transfer the whole lot there to "inactive positions".

Not to "inactive positions".   Fire them with loss of pension and all the other privileges.   Audit of assets by tax authorities would help too.

• Like 2

Other than the 1,500 Baht ?..................... which in itself is 500 Baht more than it should be...

Yes, but that goes to Cambodia. Plus the 300 baht to leave same day also to the Cambodians. Maybe that is why the Thais try some extortion. They maybe feel left out. 

• Like 1

So why is someone with a Non O for marriage with a multiple re-entry visa doing 90 days visa runs?  Surely he just reports to his local Immigration office every 90 days like the rest of us?   This sounds a bit strange, surely?   Am I missing something?

"He holds a Non-Immigrant ‘O’, multiple entry visa, based on marriage, which he obtains from Savannakhet. He was due to do his 90 day’s exit........"

Edited by The Deerhunter

4 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

So why is someone with a Non O for marriage doing 90 days visa runs?  Surely he just reports to his local Immigration office like the rest of us?   This sounds a bit strange, surely?   Am I missing something?

"He holds a Non-Immigrant ‘O’, multiple entry visa, based on marriage, which he obtains from Savannakhet. He was due to do his 90 day’s exit........"

You are referring to having a extension of stay based upon marriage issued at immigration not a visa issued at a embassy or consulate.

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

So why is someone with a Non O for marriage with a multiple re-entry visa doing 90 days visa runs?  Surely he just reports to his local Immigration office every 90 days like the rest of us?   This sounds a bit strange, surely?   Am I missing something?

Multi entry visa. Not extension based on marriage.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are referring to having a extension of stay based upon marriage issued at immigration not a visa issued at a embassy or consulate.

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

That was too subtle for me.  I thought that a non O for marriage always and only applied to long stay extension cases.  Thanks.

Edited by The Deerhunter

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That thaiembassy.org site is not official and is notoriously inaccurate!

That is the official site for the Tel Aviv embassy. Try http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ which liss all embassies and official consulates with links to their websites.

You are referring to the thaiembassy.com or .net sites.

• Like 1

This now makes me slightly worried now.

I was under the assumption that the need to show cash at Immigration is for 30 Day Stampers and TV holders only?

I carry a Non-IM O based on marriage, One Year, with Multiple Reentry Permits. Doing some 10 trips abroad a Year (Usually Suvarnabumhi, sometimes Don Muaeng, haven’t done a land border crossing in 5 Years now) I rarely ever carry enough cash. I hold a Work Permit which I assume should show that I have the means of financing my stay.

Should I get 700 US cash now for my return trips?

Just now, Rastaputin said:

I was under the assumption that the need to show cash at Immigration is for 30 Day Stampers and TV holders only?

I carry a Non-IM O based on marriage, One Year, with Multiple Reentry Permits. Doing some 10 trips abroad a Year (Usually Suvarnabumhi, sometimes Don Muaeng, haven’t done a land border crossing in 5 Years now) I rarely ever carry enough cash. I hold a Work Permit which I assume should show that I have the means of financing my stay.

Should I get 700 US cash now for my return trips?

I would imagine you would be OK. If you have an extension of stay based on marriage then you have already met financial requirements at an immigration office.

3 minutes ago, Rastaputin said:

You apparently do not have a visa. You have an extension of stay and a multiple re-entry permit.

You have already met the requirements for your stay so the financial proof is not needed. When you enter the country you are not getting a new entry to the country you are getting the same permit to stay you already have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tropo said:

It probably didn't happen because it's the only report of extortion? Really? Jip99 is a respected, long-time member. He's not warning people as a wind-up. He's trying to inform people in an effort to warn them.

My understanding is that you are not allowed to leave/exit Thailand and return/re-enter on the same day - even with a relevant visa. I was stopped at Sadao some three years ago and was informed this new regulation had just been passed to this effect. It may be that the regulation is now  being applied more strictly. I am sure Ubon Joe will have a better idea.