Denied Entry at Poipet

45 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think you are missing the fact that this is not low level extortion. We had another recent credible report where someone was denied visa exempt entry, and a Cambodian fixer quoted 17,000 baht to sort it out. The extortion clearly involves senior Thai officials at that crossing, who are themselves possibly paying others for protection of their scheme.

They should drop their prices then because they are crap at extortion. Go to the airport or pay us 17K to 20K!?

Maybe someone is now trying to cash in on people being denied visa runs, but the policy to deny them has been going on for some time, and previous (early) reports did not include cash for fix; just go to the airport.

Edited by elviajero

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why does extortion at the border seem so unlikely? Are border immigration officials beyond reproach? 

It's not unlikely. It happens all the time everywhere. But the point of extortion is to get money, and not price yourself out and give the person the information on how to avoid the extortion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

He said, "and probably an attempt to extort money........ I think a figure of 20k Baht was mentioned to ‘sort it out’."

"Probably" and "I think". Not a very credible report.

We already know that they deny visa runs to some people at that border. Why do you think this persons friend was "probably/I think" extorted for 20K when no one else has reported the same?

If money was the motive for not allowing the visa run they'd have asked for a few hundred baht, not 20K, or started at 20K and settled on a lot less. IO's get nothing from denying entry, they only benefit from successful extortion.

That's one heck of a lot of theories to suggest the OP or his friend where lying. A few hundred baht would not even be worth the effort - that's a ridiculously low amount. Just because the OP's friend didn't pay the 20k doesn't mean others haven't.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

You keep harping on about previous reports that didn't involve extortion as evidence that it likely didn't happen. For starters, not everyone doing border runs (in-and-outs) report to you here, and sooner or later someone is going to be the first to report something.

As I have said, maybe someone is now trying to cash in. But a second hand report including "probably" and "I think" is not credible.

There is nothing new in this report other than the possibility of being able to buy your way in. Seems like good news for those that don't want the hassle of flying in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It's not unlikely. It happens all the time everywhere. But the point of extortion is to get money, and not price yourself out and give the person the information on how to avoid the extortion.

Why would one report of a failed attempt at grabbing 20k suggest their scheme as a whole has failed. I'm sure they don't expect 100% success.

They have an endless stream of potential "customers".

1 minute ago, tropo said:

That's one heck of a lot of theories to suggest the OP or his friend where lying. A few hundred baht would not even be worth the effort - that's a ridiculously low amount. Just because the OP's friend didn't pay the 20k doesn't mean others haven't.

A few hundred baht or less is the norm for bribes at the borders. 17K or 20K is a ridiculously high amount!

Agreed, if it's happening others probably have.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

A few hundred baht or less is the norm for bribes at the borders. 17K or 20K is a ridiculously high amount!

Agreed, if it's happening others probably have.

"probably" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

He had $600 on him - and showed it.

I.O.  decide to ignore the or equivalent part and insisted it had to be Thai baht??

However I would not deny it could have been a bribe attempt and that was the opening bid. Does seem a bit on the high side mind you.

Someone there is on a power trip and maybe pushing the envelope.

For sure a place to avoid.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is denial of entry stamp under section 12. But the clause under it is not legible. It looks like it could be a 4 or maybe 14 but there is no clause 14. Clause 4 is for being mentally unstable.

You have obviously met my friend..... ?

There are definitely 2 characters and it looks like a 1 in front of the 4.... it might be "L" as there appears a short line at the bottom of the down stroke of the "1"