Denied Entry at Poipet

8 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

The Army should assume command over that border crossing for 5 years.

Transfer the whole lot there to "inactive positions".

They've already done that at least twice already. The first time was after the alleged Erawan bombers were said to have came and went via that border and more recently when Thailand's favorite sister flew the coop.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The irony is that he was stamped in until 23 October 2019!

So now he has a new problem as Non Imm O visa holders should only get 90 days? I presume the onus is on him fixing it at a local imm office as if he waits til that date will be on overstay?

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:

So now he has a new problem as Non Imm O visa holders should only get 90 days? I presume the onus is on him fixing it at a local imm office as if he waits til that date will be on overstay?

No need to get it fixed. Just leave on or before the October 23rd of this year.

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Yes, I doubt that he will rely on that stamp!  ?

I would be fairly certain that immigration records/computers will show 2018.

Academic in any event as he has no pages left in his passport so he will transfer his stamps in the next month or so.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

It's not unlikely. It happens all the time everywhere. But the point of extortion is to get money, and not price yourself out and give the person the information on how to avoid the extortion.

Any chance the Baht 20K was meant to be a requirement that the person crossing the border should show that amount in cash. I realize that should not normally be a requirement for someone using a ME visa, but "normally" covers a lot of ground when it comes to various border posts.

I agree that asking for a bribe of Baht 20k would not be a very successful ploy especially when they suggest flying in as a (cheaper) alternative. 

6 hours ago, tropo said:

A few hundred baht would not even be worth the effort - that's a ridiculously low amount. Just because the OP's friend didn't pay the 20k doesn't mean others haven't.

Getting a thousand or two from multiple persons crossing the border would be more likely to generate steady cash flow than to hope some one person comes along willing or able to hand over Baht 20,000. 

As often happens reports, especially reports of what allegedly happened to a friend, tend to involve some understandable omissions or misinterpretations or creative editing.

In any event, the O/P's warning seems worth heeding for anyone deciding on what border crossing to use.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Getting a thousand or two from multiple persons crossing the border would be more likely to generate steady cash flow than to hope some one person comes along willing or able to hand over Baht 20,000. 

As often happens reports, especially reports of what allegedly happened to a friend, tend to involve some understandable omissions or misinterpretations or creative editing.

In any event, the O/P's warning seems worth heeding for anyone deciding on what border crossing to use.

There's also a higher risk of getting caught if they scam every one thousand baht amounts. They probably pick their marks - just because the OP's friend declined the "offer", doesn't mean they don't meet success. You also need to consider that some of these people could be using the land borders to get in as they fear being knocked back at the airports. A definite entry at Poipet for 20k vs a "no can enter" at the airport.

1 hour ago, CelticTam said:

My understanding is that you are not allowed to leave/exit Thailand and return/re-enter on the same day - even with a relevant visa. I was stopped at Sadao some three years ago and was informed this new regulation had just been passed to this effect. It may be that the regulation is now  being applied more strictly. I am sure Ubon Joe will have a better idea.

So you are barred from rejoining your Thai family for 24 hours. I wonder how they justify that. And if you need to, for instance, fly to Singapore for a meeting and back on the same day you could be denied entry back into the country? Or does this rule only apply to some entry points (land) and not others (airports)? More Thai logic?

poipet and 'denied entry' in the same head line, no surprises there.

if it's a visa run just don't go there whatever visa you are holding.

even if they let you through they make sure you know they don't want you doing it there before they let you back in.

just not worth it, plenty of other borders

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I hate that border point - it has an aggressive, intimidating feel about it. The whole town has "corruption" written over it .

That said, this incident came out of nowhere. My friend spoke to immigration on his return to Bangkok and they confirmed - obviously - that, as Non-Imm 'O" visa holder he can enter at any border point by land or air.

Entering at a border is not the same as leaving and immediately returning to extend a stay. That is what the bosses at Aranyaprathet reportedly object to.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is denial of entry stamp under section 12. But the clause of it in parenthesis is not legible. It looks like it could be a 4 or maybe 14 but there is no clause 14. Clause 4 is for being mentally unstable.

It is 2 written in Thai.

10 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

It happened to "a friend," not the OP. Always cause for at least healthy suspicion.

I agree. First hand reports are more credible to this reader.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rastaputin said:

This now makes me slightly worried now.

I was under the assumption that the need to show cash at Immigration is for 30 Day Stampers and TV holders only?

I carry a Non-IM O based on marriage, One Year, with Multiple Reentry Permits. Doing some 10 trips abroad a Year (Usually Suvarnabumhi, sometimes Don Muaeng, haven’t done a land border crossing in 5 Years now) I rarely ever carry enough cash. I hold a Work Permit which I assume should show that I have the means of financing my stay.

Should I get 700 US cash now for my return trips?

Nothing to worry about. It is highly unlikely you would ever be asked to show cash at the airport. They only usually ask that of long term tourists if they are looking at possibly denying entry.

The situation at Aranyaprathet (Poipet) is different. They object to non 'O' visa holders doing border hops to extend their stay.

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Yes you’re right he's a liar. He was sitting at home and just thinking what to do and he came up with a great big lie to post on TV. If you choose not to believe hm that’s up to you, but many will heed his warning and thank him for it.

i used to visit Siem Reap fairly often and mostly opted to do the toad trip until the scams just got too much and too frequent. Easier to fly and sometimes cheaper than taxis. No I don’t use buses , ever.

I didn't call him a liar. I am disputing that his friend was being extorted based on the OP's "probably" and "I think" comments, which are totally pointless. Either he was extorted or he wasn't.

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

Ridiculous comment. A multi entry visa is a "right visa". No scam involved.

The comment isn't ridiculous and the visa isn't the right visa for someone living in the country.

ME non 'O' visas, within the visa system, are meant for people living outside of Thailand that need/want to visit frequently. Anyone staying long term, without a long term visa, should apply for an extension of stay. Almost all those that use ME visas are doing so because they can't meet the financial requirement. This person was denied entry under 12.2 because they have not demonstrated (to immigration) that they have the means for sustaining a long term stay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The comment isn't ridiculous and the visa isn't the right visa for someone living in the country.

ME non 'O' visas are, within the visa system, meant for people living outside of Thailand that need/want to visit frequently. Anyone staying long term, without a long term visa, should apply for an extension of stay. Almost all those that use ME visas are doing so because they can't meet the financial requirement. This person was denied entry under 12.2 because they have not demonstrated (to immigration) that they have the means for sustaining a long term stay.

Yeah. Your comment will upset some, but in all fairness, and I say this as an user of repeated SETVs, I subscribe to the logic.

A visa run is a visa run, no matter what type of multiple entry visa you are on. Some should better understand the logic of multiple entry visas as opposed to extensions of stay, even though Immigration is ignoring the matter at most borders.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah. Your comment will upset some, but in all fairness, and I say this as an user of repeated SETVs, I subscribe to the logic.

A visa run is a visa run, no matter what type of multiple entry visa you are on. Some should better understand the logic of multiple entry visas as opposed to extensions of stay, even though Immigration is ignoring the matter at most borders.

What matter are immigration ignoring?

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

What matter are immigration ignoring?

The fact that people live continuously 365 days in a year on multiple entry visas doing border hops every 90 days, when in fact they should be on extensions of stay with reentry permits.

Edited by lkv
  • Sad 1

Just now, puchooay said:

They are not living continuously for 365 days. They are leaving every 90 days. That is the law. Nothing wrong with it. Nobody is ignoring anything.

Sure sure. ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

I know of expats who use these visas out of convenience. Some of them live in the catchment of a particularly bad immigration office. Others prefer to cross borders rather that have the hassle of having to obtain an income letter, as some immigration offices now insist on having them certified.

Also some that just prefer to cross the border and use the excuse to go shopping at the numerous border markets.

It is a correct visa, regardless of how you look at it. 

I know expats like that too, but the fact remains that most using this visa do so to circumvent the income requirements. Virtually every post asking for info on getting an ME visa from Savannahket wants conformation that finances are not required.

It’s the correct visa for how you want it to be, not how the Thai visa system or immigration look at it.

Edited by elviajero

13 hours ago, tropo said:

It probably didn't happen because it's the only report of extortion? Really? Jip99 is a respected, long-time member. He's not warning people as a wind-up. He's trying to inform people in an effort to warn them.

it's anyway already known since a long time by anybody with a brain and internet.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

They are not living continuously for 365 days. They are leaving every 90 days. That is the law. Nothing wrong with it. Nobody is ignoring anything.

Lol! Regardless of how you spin it; someone is living in Thailand even if they spend a few hours in a neighbouring country every few months.

• Haha 1