What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

15 hours ago, tropo said:

That will depend on where you're coming from. Australia is very costly these days.

Ok, Tropo.

I appreciate that.   

I gather from friends   Australia is quite expensive compared to Thailand.

Thailand is not inexpensive  in a relative way depending on from where one hails.

Fair enough?

But that being the case my post remains the same.

17 hours ago, Psimbo said:

My budget is none of your business but how about reading one of the MANY threads on this subject?

It's been done to death.

Maybe you could be a little more polite with your reply 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I could easily afford to spend three times as much as I do now,

and when out at restaurants we often complain how our home food is better, 

I don't include our traveling budget in my thai living cost as it is discretionary

snap!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I own a car and after getting over the initial price shock it is OK to own.

I choose to have the connivence  of deciding when I leave and  when I go to any particular place.

Considering the OP's budget, I doubt he's in for buying a car. That's one thing that's much cheaper in Australia - used cars.

I also choose to have the convenience of deciding when I leave and when I go to any particular place - on my motorcycle... and I'll get there a lot quicker too and park anywhere too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

<snip> ... .and solve the world's problems on TVF LOL.

<snip2>

I work on solving some of the world's probems -- at least a small sliver component of them -- at the UN/Geneva, the EU Parliament, and the US Congress, through a US registered NGO all whilst sitting at my computer in Isaan ... and I am a pain in the A&&ss to most but not all of them as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Ok, Tropo.

I appreciate that.   

I gather from friends   Australia is quite expensive compared to Thailand.

Thailand is not inexpensive  in a relative way depending on from where one hails.

Fair enough?

But that being the case my post remains the same.

I forgot what your post was about, as you just quoted my one line reply.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Considering the OP's budget, I doubt he's in for buying a car. That's one thing that's much cheaper in Australia - used cars.

I also choose to have the convenience of deciding when I leave and when I go to any particular place - on my motorcycle... and I'll get there a lot quicker too and park anywhere too.

"I also choose to have the convenience of deciding when I leave and when I go to any particular place - on my motorcycle... and I'll get there a lot quicker too and park anywhere too."

That's 100% accurate.

You don't mention if you feel it's a safe mode of transport?.

I think Motos. are incredibly unsafe, big or small.

Your thoughts on that matter?

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

I forgot what your post was about, as you just quoted my one line reply.

on the top right corner of the quoted post. there is a small curved arrow, If you click on it it will take you back to the complete quoted  post . with this devise one can bach track a particular conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not on a tight budget, I just don't spend much, mainly because there's nothing more I want.

If it wasn't raining every day, I'd probably be out in the jungle a lot more.

But spending more money can't change the weather.

So you have a fairly  large budget do you?

Well done, Sir!

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am surprised at the number of respondents who are spending more than a pittance to live here. In past TV forums, I saw far too many who claimed they lived well on B20k/mo or even less. As with any claim of little expenditure, I wonder what it must be like to not enjoy the things you want--within reason--just because they are expensive. Some say, they enjoy living on the cheap. I do not know if they see it as a challenge or simply have gotten used to living at minimum; however, I suspect for most it is because they have no more to spend. I wonder if their monthly income were doubled; would they spend or save the excess income?

when first in Thailand over 10year ago  i could live on 15k a month easy, but no gf and limited times of funny business.

As you go on and because of boredom, is impossible to go back to the 15k thing once ladies involved.
So yes, Gf's that come and go is obvious dead money but who can be without some action?
you will just be alcoholic if no job, retired and left to your own and Pay to play 

Some guys cant understand what/how/why i waste money on what i do here, but one thing, i never lost on a house or business so i now can live good.
Unlike others that lost 3million on assets then they must go back to mamma noodles and fan appartment and cry into the chang beermug. for them they wasted millions and now worry about every 10baht. rediculous.

I had money all along i could have spend but i did 15k budget every month as far as can tolerate because at the time i know it would help to stay longer.
Its like i explain to Thai gf's..you are rich by putting money INTO bank not wasting on cars and hi lifestyle thinking it will impress others.

Even now i can live in decent appartment around 7k a month and happy to save every month 3-8k to spend on other stuff that make life better, compared to others renting 10-15k/month.

Your base cost is rent. Stay on lowest rent as possible that can still live happy and the budget will follow that.

Some FB adverts you see renting larger appartments in the city at 20k-40k/month.
to me that is just rediculous waste of money unless you working earning 100k/month or only stay short term

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

"I also choose to have the convenience of deciding when I leave and when I go to any particular place - on my motorcycle... and I'll get there a lot quicker too and park anywhere too."

That's 100% accurate.

You don't mention if you feel it's a safe mode of transport?.

I think Motos. are incredibly unsafe, big or small.

Your thoughts on that matter?

Safer than Russian Roulette or dancing drunk on condo balconies.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, dallen52 said:

What's the secret guys?

Looks like you lead a modest, comfortable life here based on what you've revealed.

It would, however, be a very uncomfortable feeling to be at the edge of the income/outgoing envelope in a "low cost" place like Thailand, without much fat to cut off the bone if you needed to.  Or a viable plan/ability to increase the income amount.  Juxtaposed to life expectancy and the inevitable creep in cost of living.

Well, at least the OP's doin' ok for now.  A lot of folks aren't.image.png.76d82f2a50e3b238f6e7f064b1ff29ef.png

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not on a tight budget, I just don't spend much, mainly because there's nothing more I want.

If it wasn't raining every day, I'd probably be out in the jungle a lot more.

But spending more money can't change the weather.

Have to agree with that; it seems the weather does what is wants. More power to you if you have plenty of money and are satisfied with how you live.

However, most of the people I know who live frugally have simply accepted their plight and try to live within their means. I do say most, I have a good friend who always seeks the lowest cost; yet has a good bit of money. He does go for extended travel all over the world often. So, he does not stick to the LT B20k/mo budget, except maybe while actually here.

• Like 2